• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Our Annual Wine of the Year dinner was last night. Everyone brings a wine they think could be a contender....8 of us were in attendance and we held this at Aria restaurant, a 10 course degustation mat

Celebrating 34th wedding anniversary today. Took the day off to cook for princess given we are still wearing masks ,so why go out when I can cook up a treat at home and wine list is cool.  

Started with some southern Tassie Chardonnay and now enjoying some smoked beef shorties with a few glasses of damn nice 2012 McLaren Vale Shiraz.  Cheers all ?

Guest jakeyb77
Just now, dwbasement said:

thanks mate!

I'm still smarting after they stuffed up my Allegiance order then refunded me then ran me two days later to say they had stock again.  So this wine had better be good if they have it lol

Guest jakeyb77

If anyone has a 1999 or 2011 Grange they would consider letting go then please PM me.  The two years my sons were born so may be a good 21st present.  :thumb:

2 minutes ago, dave1 said:

@SETSergio BTW, by any chance have you tried a Grange 1972 bottle?

Sorry no, not a 72, but had a 1970 about 18 months ago.

I had to check my photo's.....

W375.JPGhy do you ask?

With all of these older wines if you do not know how they have been cellared you are taking a big gamble (unless you get for bargain price, then worth the risk)...

Guest jakeyb77
Just now, SETSergio said:

With all of these older wines if you do not know how they have been cellared you are taking a big gamble (unless you get for bargain price, then worth the risk)...

Yep you want to know it's been tested and re-corked if possible

14 minutes ago, Jakeyb77 said:

If anyone has a 1999 or 2011 Grange they would consider letting go then please PM me.  The two years my sons were born so may be a good 21st present.  :thumb:

Jake, Dan murphy has 2011 on members special $599, they have 1999 too $640, I think the price is good without any risk.

Guest jakeyb77
Just now, dwbasement said:

Jake, Dan murphy has 2011 on members special $599, they have 1999 too $640, I think the price is good without any risk.

Excellent will have a look! 

thinking of getting a 1972 bottle from Wickman's Fine Wines auction site, probably around $400.  The bottles have been cellared in Victoria weather and not in a fridge in last 40 years. Not re-cork by Penfold's clinic either.  A bit of gamble for $400 actually.

thinking of getting a 1972 bottle from Wickman's Fine Wines auction site, probably around $400.  The bottles have been cellared in Victoria weather and not in a fridge in last 40 years. Not re-cork by Penfold's clinic either.  A bit of gamble for $400 actually.

The year i was born, thanks Dave lol

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, Jakeyb77 said:

Grange 2011 is on special at DM. It's the only Grange got a special red box, very nice but the wine is not that good I heard.  They said Penfolds should have not made it that year.  I think DM is reducing price to clear it.

7 hours ago, dave1 said:

The humidity or lack of would be my concern, you may find the cork may be suss and it could be oxidized.

Wine likes a constant 60+ % humidity

Good luck.... 

Edited by BobbyD
What's the bell curve on that sort of vintage?  I thought after 25 odd years you would be on the downward slide.

Just go to penfolds web site and you can download all their wine's tasting notes, and they taste them again every niw and then and uodate their notes on cellaring info

6 minutes ago, dave1 said:

Grange 2011 is on special at DM. It's the only Grange got a special red box, very nice but the wine is not that good I heard.  They said Penfolds should have not made it that year.  I think DM is reducing price to clear it.

I have heard the same thing. It will not be a long living wine as they generally are..

12 minutes ago, SETSergio said:

I have heard the same thing. It will not be a long living wine as they generally are..

Not a good vintage but good SA wine in that year according to Max, but will definitely last for a couple of decades. 1999 is not excellent but much better than 2011.

I hope next year the vintage 2013 is a good year cus I want to get it for my son so that he can drink with me when ready! 

8 hours ago, Jakeyb77 said:

You won't... BUT, I have contacted my insider there to see if they have stock.  Will let you know

The Gimp Shiraz will never be available on Vinimofo...

PM me if you need details.

• Like 2
On 14/11/2016 at 3:33 PM, dave1 said:

@SETSergio BTW, by any chance have you tried a Grange 1972 bottle?

I've had it on two occasions, one had a heap of sediment, and while a very good wine, on the night was completely overshadowed by the 71. It is a laid back wine, probably more towards Hill of Grace style that vintage. It is also notorious for bad bottles something to do a bad barrel getting introduced somewhere. (could be wrong).

The other was good but not great. I would probably drink up if you have been holding on to any or get it cliniced for peace of mind.

Friends-12.jpg

_0256542418.jpg

• Like 2
On 11/15/2016 at 9:26 PM, Rockford said:

I've had it on two occasions, one had a heap of sediment, and while a very good wine, on the night was completely overshadowed by the 71. It is a laid back wine, probably more towards Hill of Grace style that vintage. It is also notorious for bad bottles something to do a bad barrel getting introduced somewhere. (could be wrong).

The other was good but not great. I would probably drink up if you have been holding on to any or get it cliniced for peace of mind.

Friends-12.jpg

_0256542418.jpg

A mate of mine used to work at Tooths Brewery (Sydney) in the late 1960s, early 1970s. He could buy Grange by the box    in those days, Tooths owned Penfolds. My God....a few of us would throw in and buy a case when going away. I think it used to work out to about $20 per bottle and we had it frequently. Memories!

1 minute ago, MusicOne said:

BTW....how much is a bottle of Grange these days? Haven't had it for years....well decades, really.

Current release $750- ++

;)

Guest jakeyb77

First time I ever tried Grange it was given to me by Julius Chan the PNG Prime Minister who came in for dinner to our restaurant when I was 18.  He appreciated my interest in wine and left me a small glass of 3 different bottles they drank that night.  Generous man, he didn't have to do that.   

I gave my mum the bottles and she refilled them for more BBQ's than I care to remember. haha

Grange was indeed wonderful when I could afford to drink it, back then. However, the very best wine I've ever tasted was a Lakes Foley white....I think it was a white burgundy or a chablis,....can't remember. This would have been around the same time as we were drinking Grange for $20 per bottle. My mate from Tooths Brewery got hold of a couple of these bottles. Well, we opened them to have with an oysters natural entree, and we all thought that it was a very good drop. As time went on, the wine changed its character dramatically and became something out of this world.....if you think Grange is good, this was spectacular. We then moved onto the remaining bottle, which had been opened at the same time as the first bottle. WOW....it was indescribably beautiful, with a subtle sweetness (this, in a dry white) which simply took our breath away.

All Hail Lakes Foley. We've never forgotten it.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, dwbasement said:

Good wine best to share, steve, you and me, $250 each, its a bargain emoji6.png

That's what we do, get a group to kick in $150- ea and buy wine we would not buy on our own,

There are lot's of other great wines one can buy without breaking the bank.

That's what we do, get a group to kick in $150- ea and buy wine we would not buy on our own,

Totally agree, only thin is that we all live in bloody different states...

5 minutes ago, SETSergio said:

Wow, even $150 is way beyond me. I enjoy my stubbie of Coopers Stout most afternoons. Can't drink much wine anymore, due to the preservative/sulfur content,,,,makes my heart race.

Wow, even $150 is way beyond me. I enjoy my stubbie of Coopers Stout most afternoons. Can't drink much wine anymore, due to the preservative/sulfur content,,,,makes my heart race.

Look into tamburlaine mate, A grade 5 stars organic biodynamic wine, minimal use of sulphur dioxide and without lots of synthetic stuff, you might be able stsrt drinking again!

• Like 1