andythiing

currently drinking

On 15/05/2020 at 11:19 PM, mtf said:

Its slightly different to what I remember of the #8, although I did just get home, pull it out of the box, reef the cork out and straight into the glass so not quite optimum temp and certainly no airtime. It is coming across as fuller bodied with much grippier tannin as time passes, a lovely hue of purple, some meaty notes, blue/black fruit, long spicy finish with an acidic, mouthwatering lick to finish it off. 

Could be wrong though 🤣

Never had a bad wine from Fraser.

I have always had a soft spot for Champagne - my wallet less so. I took a chance on the lucky dip that is Vinomofo and can safely say this is easily the best Champagne I have had - and by a long way. I have always felt Grower Champagnes are where the value is (and where I would prefer to spend my money). Fine mousse, developed but fresh nose and palate. Bubbles dissipate quickly but it still tastes beautiful. Great anniversary wine - if I could only stop drinking it - or I will be awake at 2 and regretting it :)

IMG_1420.JPG

Had a little gtg here today... fluid got too quickly drained down..... 3848FC52-4503-4580-B612-98DC61071529.thumb.jpeg.62daedc1d56f1bac7a5d27a02beed184.jpeg

https://cognitivecellartherapy.com/

< 2019 Vinatero Grampians Shiraz

Looking through Aldi’s less than enormous wine selection, it was a pleasant surprise to see those beloved words, Grampians and Shiraz. Despite nearly causing an avalanche in those precarious gravity driven shelf dispensers. The wine’s a tasty surprise too. Bright red fruit, lots of stalky herbs add a green overlay, pepper, spice and earth. The label says a portion of whole bunches were used in the making and they do make their presence known in the green flavours carried along on some firm acidity together with stern gummy tannin. Unless somebody’s invented a mechanical harvester that can snip bunches instead of rattling grapes, then hand picked bunches are quite a cost input for the price. Despite the herby flavours stalking the initial taste, there’s a typical Grampians flare of ripe berry and cherry fruit that builds as the wine lingers around the mouth. Maybe a bit stern and shrubby for some at the moment but it did go well over two days. Real Grampians character for not much, yes please.

13% alcohol and better for it. Screwcap. $12.99.

90 points. >

Have to agree pretty good for the money, comes alive on second day after opening!

Another Aldi bargain, if you can find it! Lasted about 2 seconds on the shelves

Blackstone Paddock Limited Release Series Tasmania Pinot Noir $14.99 (forgot the vintage)

Fruit sourced from Pipers and Coal Rivers

8 minutes ago, Rockford said:

Someone is getting wraps from Fiveway Cellars... 🙂

Great store btw, have some good gear available.

https://fivewaycellars.com.au/products/coates-pinot-noir-2019

image.png.c5d9c40a7047c80b88d9f273ea25cbe0.png

Thanks for the info Rockford. 2019 is the best Pinot I have made. There is a Rousseau-like balance and harmony to this wine with everything in just the right place.

1 hour ago, DRC said:

Thanks for the info Rockford. 2019 is the best Pinot I have made. There is a Rousseau-like balance and harmony to this wine with everything in just the right place.

I should get a 6 pack then, I see the 2018 on your website? or should I just buy the 2019 from them?

4 hours ago, Rockford said:

I should get a 6 pack then, I see the 2018 on your website? or should I just buy the 2019 from them?

If you grab a six pack of the 2019 from Five Ways that would be great.

Item 131 on the to do list is an update on the website...

Beautiful weather for fresh home brewed beer. 😊:hiccup

2CE73BB0-1B61-4F3F-A2F8-4A9BB66DAEFA.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Homer Donut | Homer drooling, The simpsons tv show, Simpson

ok so he's thinking of donuts *and* beer

Edited by 2Brix

image.png.5e93f37f76279b7a1739526e18a97875.png

My turn for dinner, so charcoals fired, great cooking wine and job well done.

Mrs Mendes allocating more brownie points.....🙏👍

The Coates Nebb on day two is an absolute cracker and the Flame Tree is one flinty sophisticated Chard.......🙏

6A0134FB-8CEF-44F4-81D2-EEFAE30B2B6D.jpeg

Posted (edited)

N i k k a Taketsuru 21y.o. 'Pure malt' blended.  

image.png.09fd34cc8d481b9ef4f841aebb8c4256.png

Edited by 2Brix

34 minutes ago, 2Brix said:

N i k k a Taketsuru 21y.o. 'Pure malt' blended.  

image.png.09fd34cc8d481b9ef4f841aebb8c4256.png

OMG....that must be amazing 

Big day on Wednesday with a few drinking buddies for a mostly Penfolds perfect day. 

image.png.16424f31883442354fa3a53189f97dde.png

image.png.4f5455ae0d3799adbeb6417e1fadecf7.png

image.png.f237df02b7b03060e4bea125b39e0d66.pngimage.png.91db00e1722363ce414b48b1727d9fa4.png

It was my birthday recently too so there was a cake and a celebratory glass of Penfolds brandy. 

I'm the old guy on the right. 

image.png.72153d9d58dfbfa1f7d654a1f8926841.pngimage.png.d29dd9be6b26c0c94c6c0a8492f69e4f.png

Gotta say that I'm not a Chard man normally but the 16A was stunning. 

The Grange was superb too but my pic of the reds was the bin 707. In a word, incredible.

image.png

1 hour ago, Art Vandelay said:

Big day on Wednesday with a few drinking buddies for a mostly Penfolds perfect day. 

image.png.16424f31883442354fa3a53189f97dde.png

image.png.4f5455ae0d3799adbeb6417e1fadecf7.png

image.png.f237df02b7b03060e4bea125b39e0d66.pngimage.png.91db00e1722363ce414b48b1727d9fa4.png

It was my birthday recently too so there was a cake and a celebratory glass of Penfolds brandy. 

I'm the old guy on the right. 

image.png.72153d9d58dfbfa1f7d654a1f8926841.pngimage.png.d29dd9be6b26c0c94c6c0a8492f69e4f.png

Gotta say that I'm not a Chard man normally but the 16A was stunning. 

The Grange was superb too but my pic of the reds was the bin 707. In a word, incredible.

image.png

Happy birthday to someone...🥂..... how was the Tattinger? One that is still on my list to look at.

23 minutes ago, Mendes said:

Happy birthday to someone...🥂..... how was the Tattinger? One that is still on my list to look at.

Very nice. We kicked off with a Bolly and followed up with the Tattinger, and it was in definitely in another league.  The Bollinger lacked the elegance from start to finish and was less intense and more one-dimensional by comparison.   

@DRC arrived pretty quickly...tasting note?

IMG_3155.JPG

Happy Friday!

20200522_185104.jpg

Espana week...continues... What can I say?? I'm such a fan of the Tempranillo grape...:hiccup

IMG_0254.jpg

1 hour ago, Rockford said:

@DRC arrived pretty quickly...tasting note?

IMG_3155.JPG

Bright garnet red in colour, the aroma offers vibrant forest fruit notes with a hint of rhubarb and spice, subtle mocha and toast notes add to the bouquet. The palate is light to medium in body with a core of raspberry and dark cherry fruits along with a splash of strawberry jam. Lingering toast notes on the long finish with a soft and supple tannin backbone and bright acidity. Drink now to 2028.

Or something like that

size matters.

41CE14BB-464A-433C-920F-F049D6CA05E8.jpeg

5DAEA278-234A-4C37-B930-4C9ED33E72CE.jpeg

20 minutes ago, DRC said:

Bright garnet red in colour, the aroma offers vibrant forest fruit notes with a hint of rhubarb and spice, subtle mocha and toast notes add to the bouquet. The palate is light to medium in body with a core of raspberry and dark cherry fruits along with a splash of strawberry jam. Lingering toast notes on the long finish with a soft and supple tannin backbone and bright acidity. Drink now to 2028.

Or something like that

Mine fwiw...

2019 Coates Pinot Noir

Cherry and strawberries & cream on the nose, with hints of red liquorice, chocolate and cooked rhubarb. On the palate there is a line of acid that provides a good backbone to wine and provides a nice purity to the fruit. The acid doesn’t completely remove the subtle creaminess it exhibits, which in turn provides the wine with a sense of size. Tannins are dusty and catch at the edges of your mouth and provide a nice counterpoint for food. Plums, dark cherry and hints of marzipan as you work it in your mouth before the tannins come to the fore again and you want to swallow. I can see this aging for a good 5-10 years easily.

Note: The Zalto Burgundy glass does Aussie Pinots no favours, making them come across hot. So I switched to a Zalto Universal and it settled down remarkably.

3 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

Very nice. We kicked off with a Bolly and followed up with the Tattinger, and it was in definitely in another league.  The Bollinger lacked the elegance from start to finish and was less intense and more one-dimensional by comparison.   

Yeah I put the CdC on par with Dom/Krug and one rung below Salon, Krug CdM etc.  Fantastic champagne, that is consistently good.