andythiing

currently drinking

Thanks for the advice guys I'll pass it on👍.

*The buy dozen advice was really my cunning plan; How was the Duriff? Didn't like it eh? Ok, I'll take em.

No, no, only too happy to help you out🥂

Having a break from cooking, local lebenese Uber eats tonite 😄

20200419_165523.jpg

A bit of a story ...

A couple of years ago, I went to the second nearest Dan to buy some Clonakilla and Pipers Brook stuff that the local Dan didn't have.  Mrs A came along for the drive.

So we get there and find that the old shop is in the process of moving to new premises in a different part of the shopping centre which was being refurbished.  I hate change but managed to find the new parking area amongst the barriers and trucks and customers wandering aimlessly.

The shop itself was not too bad but there were boxes and moving stuff around.  I set off to find my things while Mrs A looked in the rummage barrel/cheap/bin end aisle as she does.

I am ready to check out and I say
"Did you find anything?".  
"Ohh, maybe there is a nice bottle there - did you see the Champagne?". 

"Uh, no - really."  

So off we go to have a look.  I spot a "Chateau de Bligny" champagne reduced to $20.  Ooh, I'll buy them - real fizz for $20 - can't beat that!  Bought the lot.  So I am just about to go again and Mrs A says
"Didn't you like the other one?".  
"What other one?".  
"The one in the purple bottle".
I don't look at coloured bottles - normally rubbish dressed up to sell.  Anyway I'll have a look.  Tattinger.  OK, I know Tattinger but not this label.  Reduced to $36.  Yeah, OK, I'll get some of them too.

Anyway we went home and I looked up Tattinger Nocturne and discovered the RRP was $99, so after some aahing and erring I went straight back to Dans and bought the whole lot - 15 bottles.

We have been having a bottle every now and again and it is indeed great and at $36 well....

Had one on Friday.  I reckon that it has considerable age as the bead is very light and is a yellowy-straw colour.  Probably the reason why Dan had it reduced twice and in the rummage aisle - old, and just wasn't selling.  The palate is rich and structured with maybe a lot of Pinot Noir and could there be a few grains of residual sweetness.  Don't know.  Anyway I reckon that its fantastic and quite different to the pre-dinner Chardonnay types.  Mrs. A is not that fond of it and prefers the Chardonnay style.  That's alright - more for me.  Nocturne is a good name for it.

Clever Mrs A.  Still not sure if she recognised it or was just attracted by the coloured bottle.  She did realise that it was Champagne though, so maybe ...

PS.  Looked at the label.  It is indeed 60% red grape.  They acknowledge some sweetness.  It's also blended over different vintages.

PPS.  Now that McWilliams (the agent for Tatt) is in a lot of financial trouble, I'm keeping my eye out just in case they have to off-load.

20200419_162539.jpg.e183449e23a848c9752b0ae766c3b50e.jpg

20200419_162605.jpg.bddc9f683398b7cff42c22865adad666.jpg

5 hours ago, Luc said:

Thanks for the advice guys I'll pass it on

I have a thing for Tasmanian Pinots at the moment.

I buy a lot from "The Pinot Shop" in Launceston.  https://www.pinotshop.com/

Michelle scours the island for Pinot and sells single bottles, 6 packs, regional selections and mystery selections.  I reckon that a lot of the small producers use her as their retail outlet.

Some other bits and pieces from NZ and Vic ...

Almost all Pinot but occasional Chardonay and Riesling.  Even saw a Tas Shiraz one day.

Worth a try and some very excellent wines there.

-------------

I am a shareholder in Treasury Wine Estates (listed on the ASX).

They have a shareholders sales point on the web, which you may (or may not?) be invited to join if you are a shareholder.  You may have to ask - dunno.  I buy a lot from them.

Opens up to Penfolds, Lindemans, Seppelt, Buring, Wynns, Coldstream Hills, Heemskirk, St Huberts, Wolf Blass and a host of others.

Compare prices with Dan first - sometimes he is cheaper even when Treasury is selling on special.

Wow, this is seriously good, was worth putting down for all those years.................

73795B70-6336-41E8-8D73-35F8A47AF3B6.jpeg

D5D32D01-A094-4A40-B862-AD74FE8CF836.jpeg

Must get an AFD in sometime soon, but until then this stunning Chardonnay,

Some very good fruit in those Adelaide Hills 👍👍❤️, and serious winemaking on show here🙏

4F56B4F6-A502-43BD-BCE9-E9D5D6530BDA.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Finishing left over from last nite and some chips 😋

20200420_221312.jpg

And some reading.....😆

20200420_221642.jpg

Edited by dwbasement

It is a beautiful day for BBQ 😋

20200425_164154.jpg

Went under the house to dig out this beauty. Decanter next while the beef cooks away in the Webber. 

0D7E7D25-95C1-4AF4-9BDD-B1EB55FC7C99.jpeg

Don’t ask......

Good but....being responsible 🙏🙏

72C284DB-1C54-441F-8011-74CE5B6674CF.jpeg

@Mendes  How was the Riesling?

2 minutes ago, Luc said:

@Mendes  How was the Riesling?

Winner , winner .. chicken dinner.... seriously good Riesling yeah in year out, relative to where it’s grown... we like it...

Posted (edited)

Couple of the guys organised a virtual tasting, huge effort on their behalf with some fantastic wines, all decanted and dropped off at various locations with proper contact-less change overs. Included custom Cheese Picnic Boxes (I went for 24mth Comte, 12mth Manchego, Hafod Welsh Cheddar, Truffle Brie). Isolation tasting done right.

virt1.jpg

virt2.jpg

virt3.jpg.f3125e4b3b2fd1acd31bfd8dc77ddee5.jpg

Edited by Rockford

Mmmm, Hafod Welsh cheddar 😋

Been a tiring and wet day but I'm all done now so have a few records lined up and a local cider to relax before tea.

Cider.jpeg.1a4b5c5c8589fa8b24ad85a4ba5fa021.jpeg

Surprisingly I'm having a drink after a fierce afternoon of gardening, placating the Handbrake(which means doing as many jobs as your not told to do) and preparing the usual Sunday evening Weber roast which is a hickory smoked garlic lemon infused thing which once had wings.

Also have spent wasteful hours attending to tomorrows sourdough loaves which now are resting peacefully in the fridge away from any more sideways looks and raised eyebrows ...

Too lazy to take a pic but it's a Yarra Valley organic bubbly thing.

Will report back upon completion of meal and bottle.

3 minutes ago, Luc said:

a hickory smoked garlic lemon infused thing which once had wings.

Mmmm. I love me a good Dodo

A bit of something for the evening. It looks like the apprentice stuck the label on but who cares, this Slaughteryard Creek Pinot is wonderful and comes from a harvest of just 3 barrels. I'm sure i can taste the soil from the vineyard which oddly enough reminds me of potatoes I used to grow on the farm in England. Proper earthiness is a real pleasure. Mu mum once told me that as a child I ate soil out of the garden, I guess I got a taste for it.

That doesn't mean this tastes of dirt but it's lovely.

Pinot.jpeg.a01b84d54673e71f2d22e9af79eef5cb.jpeg

On 25/04/2020 at 2:55 PM, PKay said:

Went under the house to dig out this beauty. Decanter next while the beef cooks away in the Webber. 

0D7E7D25-95C1-4AF4-9BDD-B1EB55FC7C99.jpeg

How was the 2010 for you Pkay?

15 minutes ago, mtf said:

How was the 2010 for you Pkay?

Very pleasant but I think it may have benefited from a bit more decanting (more patience on my part) or another couple of years under the house.

"Winter" cocktail recipe for Four Pillars Changing Seasons Gin. The green is from matcha powder.

IMG_5837.jpeg

Frozen mango daiquiri. Goes down like a dessert, but packed full of rummy goodness (El Dorado 12 year old in this case). Dangerous stuff. 

IMG_5811.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Zammo said:

"Winter" cocktail recipe for Four Pillars Changing Seasons Gin. The green is from matcha powder.

IMG_5837.jpeg

Wow love the attention to detail there. as im basically happy if I manage to get said liquid into the glass without spilling 🤣

Tried both 2013 and 2012. I think the 12 has it! :hiccup:wub:

42052209-AC46-4510-B1F2-68BE854B4880.jpeg

As always the Rhone throws up crazy value and excellent vino, this TL is no exception........

0D62BDF9-5817-4C81-B475-8283DE83838B.jpeg