Dug this old lady out, IMG_20201122_193511.thumb.jpg.2b498dcae0da8a7a8f543e1b8f0a60b4.jpg

Cork was soft but was still sealed, bit sharp to start but within 30 minutes settled to a pretty nice drop, suspect its a "little" over ideal age but surprisingly together nonetheless.

• Like 6
  • Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Our Annual Wine of the Year dinner was last night. Everyone brings a wine they think could be a contender....8 of us were in attendance and we held this at Aria restaurant, a 10 course degustation mat

Started with some southern Tassie Chardonnay and now enjoying some smoked beef shorties with a few glasses of damn nice 2012 McLaren Vale Shiraz.  Cheers all 🤙

Xmas lunch with the family, could be a magnum sort of day...💪🍷   Merry Xmas fellow wine lovers.....🙏🎄🎄🎄

This was super on Saturday night. Huge, ripe grape flavour, very plummy, tannins almost disappearing under the barrages of yumminess. I suspect it would have aged brilliantly in the bottle - but that is now moot. Only picked this one up in the Tahbilk sale a few years back (they had all the extra bottles left over from the Shiraz Challenge). I might have to go back to SA to see if I can find some more of these - when allowed.

PXL_20201121_094809750.NIGHT.thumb.jpg.3a8b32b597c9ac37f2150df7e026897e.jpg

• Like 4

Hump day and on Kamado duties and in need of cooking wine.

Straight into the decanter and aromatics were jumping out.

I don’t drink too much Australian Shiraz these days.... but this is good, real good.

If I remember correctly, this fruit makes it into Grange from time to time. 10 years young and years ahead of it 🙏👍👍🍷🍷

28C263D1-F637-455E-ACBC-CD1FB9A1A4BD.jpeg

776B85EB-D2D0-4731-8EA5-DDEA13DB4BC3.jpeg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Mendes said:

Hump day and on Kamado duties and in need of cooking wine.

Straight into the decanter and aromatics were jumping out.

I don’t drink too much Australian Shiraz these days.... but this is good, real good.

If I remember correctly, this fruit makes it into Grange from time to time. 10 years young and years ahead of it 🙏👍👍🍷🍷

28C263D1-F637-455E-ACBC-CD1FB9A1A4BD.jpeg

776B85EB-D2D0-4731-8EA5-DDEA13DB4BC3.jpeg

15.2, that’s a big boy! Sounds like it was worth the wait🤙

9 minutes ago, mtf said:

15.2, that’s a big boy! Sounds like it was worth the wait🤙

15.5%...... but who is counting 🤣

Thinking this will age pretty well, have a six pack left for the journey and to share 🙏👍🍷🍷

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Mendes said:

15.5%...... but who is counting 🤣

Thinking this will age pretty well, have a six pack left for the journey and to share 🙏👍🍷🍷

I met John back in '78 (I was 15) and again 7 years ago. One of the champions of Clare Valley.

Incidentally, did you have a look at the old vines, planted in the 1850's and still used to produce the iconic Seven Brothers Shiraz (which I have along with my collection of hens' teeth)?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Cloth Ears said:

Incidentally, did you have a look at the old vines, planted in the 1850's and still used to produce the iconic Seven Brothers Shiraz (which I have along with my collection of hens' teeth)?

Unfortunately no........... 🙏👍🍷

Leftovers tonight. This was so very good with spag bog i made on Tuesday arvo, for dinner that night 😋👍. Not as good tonight with beef, bacon & cheese pie n vegies . Still a good drop none the less. 

IMG20201126184302.thumb.jpg.991bce59892549cc6148dd989a4ac3e4.jpg

• Like 3

Amphora- Terracotta fermented / aged wines.. - Trofeo Estate in Dromana -- must visit and buy a few to try... I first new of Jim Manolios through his Trofeo Motorsport business, GT Racing...

29749624_1239516122848772_7618825058727972788_o.jpg

• Like 3
16 minutes ago, chirockr said:

Don Julio 1942 (añejo) Tequila 

9.25/10 👌

BA48E86C-4689-4D21-8A52-D86A648BF2AF.jpeg

A fella from around these here parts called Steve graced me with a glass of this drink a while back and I’m still smitten, wonderful stuff it is.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, mtf said:

A fella from around these here parts called Steve graced me with a glass of this drink a while back and I’m still smitten, wonderful stuff it is.

They call me Steve.....and it was my pleasure 🙏

Wonderful Anejo, one of the best 🌵🌵🥃 ~Ole Gringo...

Edited by Mendes
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cheeky little night cap after getting home from our staff Xmas party.

Very tasty rye , worth chasing down if you can find some....

43CF1BD6-9A71-4B17-A14F-6DC271A497AD.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Wasn't sure how this would drink after multiple house moves, so just my and I wife shared it. Still absolutely delightful, there is a reason why it is considered one of Australia's greatest Chardonnays. Paired with fresh tiger prawns, baguette and avocado - perfect on a hot Saturday night.

20201128_203926.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 1

45 minutes ago, markm1111 said:

Wasn't sure how this would drink after multiple house moves, so just my and I wife shared it. Still absolutely delightful, there is a reason why it is considered one of Australia's greatest Chardonnays. Paired with fresh tiger prawns, baguette and avocado - perfect on a hot Saturday night.

20201128_203926.jpg

I still have 1998 vintage. Last time I opened one bottle was 2007. Can't wait to go back to Sydney to try it again.

• Like 2

This budget Durif has improved nicely after a coupla years storage. 

I do have some of their premium Durif 'The Doctor' somewhere about, which will be worth trying I think.

Have expanded the fridge area, though still too many boxes of wine  stacked up behind the bar 😊

3C8FF819-E14B-4F28-BE23-BF47E402072E.jpeg

FFD79550-8F13-4144-9C99-7CEE2C4D8E75.jpeg

• Like 4

Was doing a bit of a tidy up and found 2 remaining bottles of 07 E&T.

This is in a really good place right now, will try and leave the other bottle for another 5 years....try!!

D847ADBC-5EA2-47BE-B01B-9D892245BB8C.jpeg

• Like 6
28 minutes ago, Mendes said:

Was doing a bit of a tidy up and found 2 remaining bottles of 07 E&T.

This is in a really good place right now, will try and leave the other bottle for another 5 years....try!!

D847ADBC-5EA2-47BE-B01B-9D892245BB8C.jpeg

Nice dose of dust on the bottle....😅👍

1 hour ago, Mendes said:

Nice dose of dust on the bottle....😅👍

Still yet to visit that winery, must put it on the list next time I’m down there.

• Like 1

The diplomatic / economic relationship with China continues to deteriorate. China today announces a 212% tariff on Australian wine exports.

Make no mistake Australia exports a lot of wine, probably >50% of production. Its a decent bit of $coin, and China a growing market for premium wines. That market with this punitive announcement is all but gone.

Time to buy more Australian wines.   

More broadly with continuing issues with China and trade, many industries, not only wine, should re-think their business and specifically export models and try to diversify -- quickly if possible.. 

Edited by The Fez

Maybe the prices will start dropping.:)

I'm tired of some wineries charging the same price per bottle as a premium whisky; and far more than some really first rate imports.

• Like 2
On 29/11/2020 at 9:39 AM, Cloth Ears said:

Can't wait! Paringa having their back-vintage tasting on Saturday (a sit down affair rather than the usual free-for-all). Hmmm!

Dragged a nice selection back from Saturday's tasting. Including some 2006 Riesling, 2007/12/13 Chardonnay (including the '12 House Block), 2009 Pinot and 2008/09/12 Shiraz.

It's also a good way to find out how the few bottles left in the cellar are going, as we got to taste the '06 & '07 Reserve Pinot and the '05 & '06 Shiraz (all of which are now on the 'hit list').

• Like 3

Out with a buddy and his darling on a Tuesday close to Xmas .......well, it must be done 🙏

Very interesting lineup.....the Chardonnay is a real surprise from the Adelaide Hills, not so well known but it’s a real gem....look it up if you get a chance.

The Burg and the Oz Pinot are well known and really shone....The Volnay did it for me.......🍷🍷🍷🙏🙏🙏

8334046E-E111-4F60-BAF5-5B0193B7F7A2.jpeg

• Like 4

Since a joke I am posting is wine related so decided yo post it in 'currently drinking' thread.

At a wine merchant, their regular taster died and the Director put an ad and started looking for a new one to hire.

A drunkard with a ragged, dirty look came in to apply for the position.

The Director of the winery wondered how to send him away. None the less... He gave him a glass of wine to drink.

The drunk tried it and said, "It's a Muscat, three years old, grown on a north slope, matured in steel containers. Low grade, but acceptable."

"That's correct," said the boss.

Another glass.....

"It's a Cabernet, eight years old, a south-western slope, oak barrels, matured at 8 degrees. Requires three more years for finest results."

"Correct."

A third glass.....

"It's a Pinot Blanc Champagne, high grade and exclusive," calmly said the drunk.

The Director was astonished. He winked at his Secretary, secretly suggesting something. She left the room, and came back in with a *glass of urine*.

The alcoholic tried it.

"It's a blonde, 26 years old, She is three months pregnant - and if I don't get this job position, I'll announce the name of the father to the whole company...! 😅

• Like 1
  • Love 1

This young Heathcote wine is most enjoyable, it has good fruit impact, develops in a pleasant savoury manner and with a lovely bright tannin finish.  

Almost an iridescent purple colour in the glass.

10 bucks from WineStar, which is becoming my 'go to' purveyor. 

CD872E5B-60D1-4849-8908-57D53D6F4273.jpeg

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Mushroom01 said:

This is an absolute cracker! 🍷😋. Very highly recommend. Will be replacing this one asap. 👍 

IMG20201211174603.thumb.jpg.040e2174591f0cd70558fc052a0c6b8c.jpgIMG20201211174617.thumb.jpg.fc04b6694b27340266d9611b816d7a67.jpg

These guys have been making great P V for years.....excellent vino 👍🙏🍷

• Like 1