2 hours ago, Luc said:

Steve...grab a couple of these and stash em for when I drop in one day post covid 😎🙏🥃

I have been known to find an odd bottle of Pappy when it pops up. Rare as rocking horse you know what here in Perth.....but yeah👍🥃🥃

• Like 1
  • Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Our Annual Wine of the Year dinner was last night. Everyone brings a wine they think could be a contender....8 of us were in attendance and we held this at Aria restaurant, a 10 course degustation mat

Started with some southern Tassie Chardonnay and now enjoying some smoked beef shorties with a few glasses of damn nice 2012 McLaren Vale Shiraz.  Cheers all 🤙

Chilling at home this arvo-washing records,  giving them a spin, doing some cooking and oh, a few beverages ......keeping Mrs Mendes amused.....🙏🥂🍷🍻

21 hours ago, chirockr said:

New one I’ve been waiting to sample. Angels Envy - Kentucky straight bourbon whiskey finished in port wine barrels. 43.3%abv

Excellent 8.5/10

3635F75C-35A3-4CB7-9611-7A0C60CCE2CA.jpeg

What does the port barrels impart to it do you think?  There's a lot of wankery with 'stuff' finished in barrels that were used for different alcohol these days.

47 minutes ago, Luc said:

What does the port barrels impart to it do you think?  There's a lot of wankery with 'stuff' finished in barrels that were used for different alcohol these days.

Taste 

4 minutes ago, Neo said:

Taste 

Fair point but I don't associate Bourbon with Port and vice versa. I'm happy to try though🙏.

Give me good American oak(not European) any day with no charcoal stuff going on, just plain new oak imparting it's imprint on the liquor.

Year in year out, here are a couple of Oz standouts for not much money.....and very cellar worthy.....really enjoying these tonight......

66B60866-A91A-488E-B377-580BBE0FFC70.jpeg

• Like 6

Perhaps this was the view as well when whisky has started been finished in the exotic wood casks, a break from the norm. 

1 minute ago, Mendes said:

Year in year out, here are a couple of Oz standouts for not much money.....and very cellar worthy.....really enjoying these tonight......

66B60866-A91A-488E-B377-580BBE0FFC70.jpeg

Still have two bottles left from the 2002 vintage of the black label. For a cheapie so to speak, they do cellar well. 

Neo

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Luc said:

With this particular drop it rounds the mid palate & finish. If your into a particular spirit brand and understand its flavour profile previously it brings new layers and character. 

For example. I like single malt scotch whisky. Dalmore a highland whisky brand does a variety called The Cigar Malt reserve. this whisky is finished in Cab Sav barrels. It’s brings a robust dry finish which on occasion I enjoy. 

• Like 4
25 minutes ago, Luc said:

Fair point but I don't associate Bourbon with Port and vice versa. I'm happy to try though🙏.

Give me good American oak(not European) any day with no charcoal stuff going on, just plain new oak imparting it's imprint on the liquor.

This is why I enjoy single malt scotches as they are usually previously first fill or used bourbon American oak casks. I find bourbon sometimes too intense and the charred character isn’t  nuanced enough. That’s why the Angels Envy to my taste is quite a refined dram and a worthy mention. 

Edited by chirockr
  • Like 1

I'm actually a bit of a post s.*u.t when it comes to currently drinking thread.

I'd like to drink almost everything posted.

I draw the line at Seltzer though. But everything else posted here...yes plaease!  <<<<see I can't even spell any more.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Luc said:

I'm actually a bit of a post s.*u.t when it comes to currently drinking thread.

I'd like to drink almost everything posted.

I draw the line at Seltzer though. But everything else posted here...yes plaease!  <<<<see I can't even spell any more.

Best thread here...:hiccup..... and I listen to music 🎼🎼🎼🎼🎼🎼🎼

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

@Mendes  Steve I had one song on for about 3/4's of an hour. So what you say. Well it's the last track of an album and it's vinyl.

So type away in the drinking thread and try to do the same in the currently spinning thread and....

The last notes of the last song on side 1 is about to ring out.

Get up and lift the needle before the dreaded click-click-click---

Now where was I?

Oh yes the drinking thread.

Damn someone's posted. I'll change my post...bloody hell, click-click-click-

Currently spinning thread...umm, I was listening to this and click-click-click.

Umm  was drinking this and I like your post or maybe it was your bourbon... do you drink bourbon? or was it wine.

Umm.

So back at the spinning thread.

I was listening to bourbon and I liked it but not the barrel so much.

Back at the drinking thread.

Good pressing this.

Someone asks what year? Umm, I'll just check the album cover.

They say; What??

I lift the tonearm and pour into the glassor album cover and stop posting for OH+S reasons.🤩

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Luc said:

@Mendes  Steve I had one song on for about 3/4's of an hour. So what you say. Well it's the last track of an album and it's vinyl.

So type away in the drinking thread and try to do the same in the currently spinning thread and....

The last notes of the last song on side 1 is about to ring out.

Get up and lift the needle before the dreaded click-click-click---

Now where was I?

Oh yes the drinking thread.

Damn someone's posted. I'll change my post...bloody hell, click-click-click-

Currently spinning thread...umm, I was listening to this and click-click-click.

Umm  was drinking this and I like your post or maybe it was your bourbon... do you drink bourbon? or was it wine.

Umm.

So back at the spinning thread.

I was listening to bourbon and I liked it but not the barrel so much.

Back at the drinking thread.

Good pressing this.

Someone asks what year? Umm, I'll just check the album cover.

They say; What??

I lift the tonearm and pour into the glassor album cover and stop posting for OH+S reasons.🤩

To quote Warren Zevon...... enjoy every sandwich 🙏❤️

45 minutes ago, Mendes said:

To quote Warren Zevon...... enjoy every sandwich 🙏❤️

I was listening to "Bad Luck Streak in Dancing School" as I typed the above. specifically, the last track on side two which features nearly everyone from the LA set of the early 80's. Fantastic track. (The wild years)

• Love 1
2 hours ago, chirockr said:

Michter’s Small Batch Bourbon, 45.7% abv; 86/100 

F862D106-4980-45AE-8E42-5BBE62CBD6C3.jpeg

I am a fan of their rye 👍👍🥃🥃

• Like 1

Good buddies birthday, a great taste in vino he has....the Pinot was a big surprise, outstanding...all really top notch 🙏👍🍷🍷

1FD3D7BE-B46C-4890-9128-97C24C23A8FB.jpeg

Edited by Mendes
Pic
  • Like 4
6 hours ago, Mendes said:

Good buddies birthday, a great taste in vino he has....the Pinot was a big surprise, outstanding...all really top notch 🙏👍🍷🍷

124EE717-A384-45F4-86AD-57BF61570A5F.jpeg

CE96E3AB-BCC8-42AE-8F34-0FB7FEB57DD2.jpeg

97686811-E435-4A1F-ABA0-B956A6FE7BB1.jpeg

4C9854A3-F1C6-433A-9C54-39368DAC5C26.jpeg

69359003-F1CE-4BDC-8332-B2021F8BFCED.jpeg

1FD3D7BE-B46C-4890-9128-97C24C23A8FB.jpeg

A very nice selection indeed! Good company and good wine, what more could you ask for. 🥂🍾😄👍

• Love 1
2 hours ago, chirockr said:

Had this sample I wanted to try, finally got around to it.

Ardbeg Uigedail - Peated Single Malt / Islay. 54.2% abv; 8.25/10 👌

46639F53-D2FD-465B-A1D9-B52EC5F3D521.jpeg

Looks like an inviting drop👍

you seem generous here with the ice, or is that to bring the abv into the normal range?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, tripitaka said:

Looks like an inviting drop👍

you seem generous here with the ice, or is that to bring the abv into the normal range?

I usually have a small amount in a glencairn for the nose and to try neat. I do like lots of ice as I enjoy the way it opens the layers/complexities of a spirit. I do it with “normal” abv spirits too. Just my preference.

• Like 1
On 13/11/2020 at 9:04 PM, Luc said:

I don't know anyone who uses new oak with no charcoal charring. It's a part of the breathing process that is used to filter out unwanted components. And, unless you like retsina falvoured spirit, you don't use new, uncharred barrels.

I lie. The first batch of Sullivans Cove did this. And it tasted like ****! Luckily, they improved!

There's actually around 12 different species of oak. The American type used for Bourbon barrels doesn't have nearly the same amount of flavour in the wood, which is why the bourbon recipe insists on brand new barrels for each or it's not bourbon. So, it doesn't require a careful hand with the aging process like the main European species does.

A little sweet for my liking, but there are certainly some redeeming flavours within this southern italian wine, goes tolerably well with cheeses especially of the blue variety.

7CF227FC-2752-442B-A592-7EC1B659F3E0.jpeg

• Like 4

I don't know how you people take proper pictures.  I have all sorts of trouble with my wife's phone thingy.  Any way ...

A wine worth mentioning even though it will be all gone by now at Mt Pleasant.

Mt Pleasant 1985 Philip from back in the days when Shiraz was called Hermitage.  Sergio Mendes and Brazil 66 will probably recognize this as his brother bought from the same Mt Pleasant release of museum wines not so long ago.

I was very impressed as sometimes with old stuff, one never knows.

Cork was almost gone but still in one piece and was coloured all the way up and all the way around.  A tiny bit a leakage under the lead capsule.  If you have some drink it now.

Despite the stopper, the wine itself was really nice with a rather "sweet" fruit nose, and a dark Pinot sort of colour.  Very smooth and long - no rough edges or taint at all.  Perhaps some lactic in there in the finish.

Anyway, worth mentioning.  PS. my son has come back for thirds.

Heaps better than the 2015 Wynns Black Label Coon Cab and the 2015 Bay of Fires Chardonnay that I had this week.  Both I thought were flawed.  The Wynns had no Coon or Cab character at all that I could detect - could have come from anywhere.  The Bay of Fires seemed overdeveloped for a young wine, maybe even some late-picked-ness blowsiness about it.  Mrs A liked it though.  As with all wine, YMMV.

20201118_165844.jpg.4763e0abbdb2053e60ad184934cf6f61.jpg

Edited by aechmea
  • Like 5
  • Love 1
31 minutes ago, aechmea said:

Sergio Mendes and Brazil 66 will probably recognize this as his brother bought from the same Mt Pleasant release of museum wines not so long ago.

Yes, my brother went back for more, good lad!!

Incredible aged wines :thumb:

Our Annual Wine of the Year dinner was last night. Everyone brings a wine they think could be a contender....8 of us were in attendance and we held this at Aria restaurant, a 10 course degustation matched to the wines. (even had Alan Jones on the next table!).  The wines were stunning, some truly special ones. Not everyday you can drink a port from 1882 alongside some DRC RSV, multiple vintages of Rousseau Chambertin et al. Very, very generous offerings from everyone. A privilege to be part of this crew of like minded people.

NV Jérôme Prévost La Closerie Fac-Simile Extra Brut
1996 Krug Champagne Vintage Brut
1996 Salon Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut
1996 Dom Pérignon Champagne Oenothèque
2012 Weingut Keller Riesling G-Max
2009 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Bâtard-Montrachet
2018 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Bâtard-Montrachet
2018 Caroline Morey Criots-Bâtard-Montrachet
2007 Château Rayas Châteauneuf-du-Pape Blanc Réserve
2008 Château Rayas Châteauneuf-du-Pape Blanc Réserve
2014 Maison Pierre Overnoy Poulsard Arbois Pupillin
2011 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Romanée St. Vivant
2011 Domaine Sylvain Cathiard Romanée St. Vivant
2011 Domaine Armand Rousseau Père et Fils Chambertin
2017 Domaine Armand Rousseau Père et Fils Chambertin
1985 Château Lascombes
1976 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese Lange Goldkapsel
1882 Seppeltsfield Para 100 Vintage Tawny

woty.jpg.86a7d81de18c9c03fb2ed090d7b6eddf.jpgwoty1.jpg.7a419476f03103e9356730718a68ca5b.jpgwoty2.thumb.jpg.534c2ba4aea60e7825944777f20727fd.jpgwoty3.thumb.jpg.c2d013d58b1a64a07d3247ce79d9dcf0.jpgwoty4.thumb.jpg.c9a69cf46702cd15eb5b2831add72e09.jpgwoty5.jpg.2e765c6e8bf6d5f2680c93f4989127b7.jpgwoty6.jpg.427b030606ffec46377a86d00387b2f2.jpg

Edited by Rockford
  • Like 7
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Rockford said:

Our Annual Wine of the Year dinner was last night. Everyone brings a wine they think could be a contender....8 of us were in attendance and we held this at Aria restaurant, a 10 course degustation matched to the wines. (even had Alan Jones on the next table!).  The wines were stunning, some truly special ones. Not everyday you can drink a port from 1882 alongside some DRC RSV, multiple vintages of Rousseau Chambertin et al. Very, very generous offerings from everyone. A privilege to be part of this crew of like minded people.

NV Jérôme Prévost La Closerie Fac-Simile Extra Brut
1996 Krug Champagne Vintage Brut
1996 Salon Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut
1996 Dom Pérignon Champagne Oenothèque
2012 Weingut Keller Riesling G-Max
2009 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Bâtard-Montrachet
2018 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Bâtard-Montrachet
2018 Caroline Morey Criots-Bâtard-Montrachet
2007 Château Rayas Châteauneuf-du-Pape Blanc Réserve
2008 Château Rayas Châteauneuf-du-Pape Blanc Réserve
2014 Maison Pierre Overnoy Poulsard Arbois Pupillin
2011 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Romanée St. Vivant
2011 Domaine Sylvain Cathiard Romanée St. Vivant
2011 Domaine Armand Rousseau Père et Fils Chambertin
2017 Domaine Armand Rousseau Père et Fils Chambertin
1985 Château Lascombes
1976 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese Lange Goldkapsel
1882 Seppeltsfield Para 100 Vintage Tawny

Oh wow! The 1882 is supposed to be one of, if not the best of the 100YO so far. I likes the 1913 and the 1908, but my experience of these is very limited.

I am sooo envious! Except about Jones at the next table, of course.

• Like 3

Friday and on cooking duties tonight, so cleaning up leftovers that where Coravined during the week.

2015 Yarra Valley Pinot is rocking.... really, really good, the Pinot Gris is knocking it out of the park for a relative cheapie.....that leaves the Langhe Neb.

@DRC...... you will love this..... fruit from La Serra, so technically could be Barolo..... but they wanted to try something different.

100% whole bunch with full carbonic and wow....stunning Neb that is a relative bargain.... grab some if you can my friends ...

98B81D45-96C8-47EA-90DE-B0654F765C4A.jpeg

7822DA40-ECDE-4BF2-9370-1B999EE3B231.jpeg

• Like 8

Forgot to take a photo, but the 2012 Paulett Antonina that we had last night was delish. Just the thing to have with a chicken burger from YOMG and some cheesy fries (I'm thinking to the dinner scene in Kingsmen - with Samuel L Jackson and Colin Firth). I'm really glad it's not the last one (we got a bargain on them a few years ago, $25ea).

• Like 2

Just home from brothers place, a few vinos we looked at tonight.....

Great Chardonnay , the US cab a ripper and as always the Hunter Sem rocking

286A5209-6DB1-4343-8FAA-09A80B8C5408.jpeg

• Like 3