1 hour ago, Cloth Ears said:

Got an invite from Paringa to the back vintage wine sale. I like it when a winery decides they have to get rid of some of their older wines and invites people to help them (along with tastings of all of them)! It won't be quite the same, as the crowding at the 'bar' won't be allowed, and they'll probably have 'seatings' or somesuch. Some folks who usually come from NSW, Queensland and South Aussie for this, will miss out on the tasting part...

Nice one CE, the world is your oyster so to speak....:thumb:

• Like 1
  • Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Our Annual Wine of the Year dinner was last night. Everyone brings a wine they think could be a contender....8 of us were in attendance and we held this at Aria restaurant, a 10 course degustation mat

Chilling at home this arvo-washing records,  giving them a spin, doing some cooking and oh, a few beverages ......keeping Mrs Mendes amused.....🙏🥂🍷🍻

Started with some southern Tassie Chardonnay and now enjoying some smoked beef shorties with a few glasses of damn nice 2012 McLaren Vale Shiraz.  Cheers all 🤙

Alex Head’s Northern Rhone inspired Barossa SV, still have a few 10’s lurking, so why not have a look at how it’s developing I thought to myself 😇

Stunning aromatics.......

EABA1491-A20B-4CB9-B8DA-1BC8A55D9355.jpeg

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, mtf said:

We’ve popped a Pink one tonight as well, this is a beautiful little number.

95040796-80D0-45A8-A3C9-B791BF5A4FEE.jpeg

Nice, Zalto uni’s as well....

A Frenchy from where?

43 minutes ago, Mendes said:

Nice, how is it going down? 🥃🥃

Great. A worthy addition to the bar. I’ve had a lockdown birthday weekend and trying some excellent drams. I concur with the description below 89/100. Bottled at 45% showcases this spirit well. 

7C850969-C42E-4553-8229-866227ECFA05.jpeg

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, chirockr said:

Great. A worthy addition to the bar. I’ve had a lockdown birthday weekend and trying some excellent drams. I concur with the description below 89/100. Bottled at 45% showcases this spirit well. 

7C850969-C42E-4553-8229-866227ECFA05.jpeg

Happy birthday, you have all been incredible with the lock down.....showing the world what is possible 

a well deserved drink 🥃🥃

• Like 1

The silly season will be soon upon us.

Caught up with an old buddy for a few vinos......he has a great palate..

31DE408C-5273-4952-A170-1D4BCA1BCE08.jpeg

0F04B2A5-433A-4330-B052-9E71E48B7558.jpeg

1EFF7DF5-50FF-4DD8-9B73-118F073E1BDC.jpeg

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Mushroom01 said:

A splash of French Red tonight, only because the ice falling from the QLD sky won't fit in my whisky glass 😄

IMG20201031191721.thumb.jpg.549fe3312e8ff1887eda6320a2117224.jpg

IMG20201031191748.thumb.jpg.39d84382da3fda69084907d88a34b0a8.jpgexport1604133416714.jpg.f15c81cb30879e0d85c8da948515760b.jpg

Year in year out the Guigal CDR is a global standard, crazy quality price ratio here....👍👍👍

Picked up a good stash today.

Thanks for the heads up on the Castagna @DRC this one is a ripper, still closing in on the La Chiave 

5CB6D428-FD0C-4696-92C9-562457D513DF.jpeg

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, mtf said:

Picked up a good stash today.

Thanks for the heads up on the Castagna @DRC this one is a ripper, still closing in on the La Chiave 

5CB6D428-FD0C-4696-92C9-562457D513DF.jpeg

I see some Ochota Barrels...🍷👍

• Like 1

Had less than favourable luck recently so spent my cup betting $$ on this instead today. Cork was a little slow out of the gate but the old mare, she’s found her legs and burst through the pack!! Great result!!!!

Taking this as a win for sure 🤙

69E99643-63A0-41A1-B3C0-97340C8A9CD5.jpeg

• Like 5

Enjoying some Head, The Brunette tonight....it’s in a really good spot.

Suspect Alex Head got some pretty good fruit in 2010, great wine 🙏🍷

5C73F6C2-4CA7-4D2C-969D-2FB331257FFE.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
28 minutes ago, Chanh said:

Received these today..., from a well regarded audio-buddy! 

EDF36519-20D5-41DA-96CB-CB017BF19B5F.jpeg

1E2F9675-37B2-44DB-9EC5-C299C4331918.jpeg

Nice, enjoy mate.......🙏🍷🍷🍷🍷👍

Another great dinner with the crew. You can probably guess the theme...

Some stunning wines, the variety of the wines made it difficult to pick a winner.  We got moved on from GC before we finished so hit up a Korean Fried Chicken place across the road and had it with a 2010 d'Yquem as you do...at 12am in morning 🙂

1990 Louis Roederer Champagne Cristal Brut en magnum

2000 Krug Champagne Vintage Brut

2000 Taittinger Champagne Comtes de Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut

1970 Lindemans Hunter River Chablis Bin 3875

1980 Pavillon Blanc du Château Margaux Blanc

2010 Vincent Dauvissat (René & Vincent) Chablis Grand Cru Les Clos

2010 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese

2010 Joh. Jos. Prüm Bernkasteler Badstube Riesling Auslese

2010 Joh. Jos. Prüm Graacher Himmelreich Riesling Auslese

2010 Domaine des Cavarodes (Etienne Thiébaud) Savagnin Côtes du Jura Vin Jaune

2010 Domaine Armand Rousseau Père et Fils Clos de la Roche

2010 Bouchard Père et Fils Chambertin

2010 Domaine Armand Rousseau Père et Fils Chambertin-Clos de Bèze

2010 Domaine G. Roumier / Christophe Roumier Bonnes Mares

2010 Louis Jadot Bonnes Mares

2000 Château Haut-Brion

1970 Château Haut-Beychevelle Gloria

1970 Wynns Coonawarra Estate Shiraz Burgundy Ovens Valley

1990 Penfolds Bin 90A

2010 Château d'Yquem

Now counting the sleeps to our Annual Wine Dinner where the line up has just been revealed with some absolutely epic wines on show.

decades1.jpg

decades2.jpg

decades3.jpg

decades4.jpg

decades5.jpg

decades6.jpg

decades7.jpg

Edited by Rockford
  • Like 5
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Tubularbells said:

Thought the name of this beer summed up my year so far rather nicely....

20201107_132617.thumb.jpg.b0787e31aaf71422cbde02ce95f3a42a.jpg

I do love my wheat beers👍

One called 'Hell' would be worth trying 😲

On 08/11/2020 at 1:38 AM, Mendes said:

Looking for a night cap, Berry’s looks appealing.... single grain 🙏🥃

F1CD424C-50FD-4D65-919B-C0598782E85F.jpeg

EF18275B-04C8-453B-A67F-6F265F7FA46C.jpeg

Empty bottles go in the recycling bin.

Just saying.

As I know you like anything in a bottle that can be drunk...

I'll post this entire article as I know a link would stop some of you because of the paywall.  Steve...grab a couple of these and stash em for when I drop in one day post covid 😎🙏🥃

Nonfiction

Who Was Pappy Van Winkle and Why Does His Whiskey Cost So Much?

10Biersdorfer-articleLarge.jpg?quality=7
Bottles of Pappy Van Winkle bourbon on display in a liquor store in New York City. In “Pappyland,” Wright Thompson “comes off as the Boswell of bourbon country — a keen literary observer and respectful fanboy with an obvious affection for his subject.”
Bottles of Pappy Van Winkle bourbon on display in a liquor store in New York City. In “Pappyland,” Wright Thompson “comes off as the Boswell of bourbon country — a keen literary observer and respectful fanboy with an obvious affection for his subject.”Credit...Andrew Gombert/EPA, via Shutterstock

• Nov. 10, 2020

PAPPYLAND
A Story of Family, Fine Bourbon, and the Things That Last
By Wright Thompson

For the dedicated whiskey connoisseur, getting a taste of Pappy Van Winkle’s Family Reserve bourbon is a Tolkien-worthy quest. With a small production run and a lengthy 15- to 23-year aging process that creates a limited-supply/high-demand situation, the spirit is decidedly elusive at its starting retail price of about $120. Bars that stock it can charge $75 a shot or more, and collectors’ sites list the whiskey for $5,000 a bottle. So, what is it about Pappy Van Winkle?

Wright Thompson sets out to answer that question in “Pappyland: A Story of Family, Fine Bourbon, and the Things That Last.” The book is a soulful journey that blends together biography, autobiography, philosophy, Kentucky history, the story of bourbon’s origins and an insider’s look at how the Van Winkle whiskey is made and marketed. The human ley-line running through all of this is Julian P. Van Winkle III, the grandson of Julian “Pappy” Van Winkle Sr., who opened the Stitzel-Weller Distillery just outside Louisville on Derby Day in 1935 and produced various brands until he died in 1965.

“There was no way to separate the bourbon’s mythology from his personal history,” Thompson writes of Julian III. To get the story, the author spent part of three years following Van Winkle as he continued the family business he took over in 1981. Now made in partnership with the Buffalo Trace Distillery in Frankfort, his Pappy Van Winkle’s Family Reserve is a grandson’s liquid tribute to his ancestors. Thompson, an ESPN senior writer by way of Mississippi, comes off as the Boswell of bourbon country here — a keen literary observer and respectful fanboy with an obvious affection for his subject, even nicknaming him “Booze Yoda.”

Biersdorfer2-articleLarge.jpg?quality=75
ImageBiersdorfer2-articleLarge.jpg?quality=75&auto=webp&disable=upscale

“Pappyland” moves smoothly through the family lore with the subtle nuances of a well-aged bourbon; it has top notes of stoicism and melancholy and a lingering finish of pride, even when recounting the hard times. Everyone drinks a lot of really excellent whiskey and Thompson admits: “To be honest, it gets repetitive after a while, I know. I know.” But he soldiers on in order to thoroughly report what goes into each coveted bottle bearing the Van Winkle name.

Although flecked with humor and lighthearted moments, “Pappyland” takes a critical approach to the corn-squeezing culture, busting up myth as needed to reveal lesser-known tidbits, like the fact that popular brands such as Elijah Craig and Evan Williams were actually created by Jewish distillers adept in marketing. Although it sometimes feels as if Thompson goes around the block (with a stop for pie and coffee) with some anecdotes, his ability to zoom in and out from the global to the personal level puts things in perspective, particularly with complex topics like the dynamics of the father-son relationship.

Even beyond the playlist on a honky-tonk jukebox, the image of American whiskey is often linked with wistful memories and a high-lonesome longing for the past. As the novelist Walker Percy wrote in a 1975 essay for Esquire, “Bourbon does for me what the piece of cake did for Proust.” Thompson echoes this sentiment in his own way: “Vodka is for the skinny and Scotch is for the strivers and bourbon is for the homesick.” (love that description)

It’s no longer home to the family business, but Pappy Van Winkle’s original 1935 Stitzel-Weller Distillery is still there, now owned by a multinational beverage company and used as a tourist stop for the Bulleit Frontier Whiskey brand. A plaque bearing Pappy’s mantra remains on the grounds: “We make fine bourbon, at a profit if we can, at a loss if we must, but always fine bourbon.” As “Pappyland” makes clear, the profit and loss are part of life, and yes, the bourbon is always fine.

J.D. Biersdorfer is the production editor of the Book Review and writes the Tech Tip column for The Times.

PAPPYLAND
A Story of Family, Fine Bourbon, and the Things That Last
By Wright Thompson
246 pp. Penguin Press. $27.

I have a bottle of  ' Old Fitzgerald ' by Stitzel-Weller. one of 5 bought at the Auckland Airport Duty Free in 1974.

It's about to be demolished in the near future if I get down to Bleak City to see my daughter who's endured the lockdown since March.

The book in this article looks like a good read.