For my youngest son's 30th birthday.  Due to a silly set of circumstances we ended up having this with curried sausages - sacrilege, I hear you cry.  But 2 things ...

• it went remarkably well with the roux type sauce that we make for curry, and
  • you can't just keep wine forever (even though I have done plenty of that in the past), you have to drink it from time to time.  It was great even though still a youngster.

Also notice a few crystals of clear sediment.

20201013_102201.jpg.7548eca8029c30537978dd630817c6cb.jpg

• Like 5
  • Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Our Annual Wine of the Year dinner was last night. Everyone brings a wine they think could be a contender....8 of us were in attendance and we held this at Aria restaurant, a 10 course degustation mat

Xmas lunch with the family, could be a magnum sort of day...💪🍷   Merry Xmas fellow wine lovers.....🙏🎄🎄🎄

Epic night of drinking to celebrate a milestone birthday for one of the guys.  9 of us at Bentley Restaurant. Food was sensational as always.   Agrapart Champagne Grand Cru Terroirs Blanc de

I thought that I would mention this wine as it is one of my very favorites.  We like the normal Barwang Tumbarumba Chardonnays, and it is Mrs A's fave but this one is even better, IMO.  This particular wine, I think, is a one-off since I haven't seen it before or since.

It is a gentle elegant wine as distinct from some of the strongly flavoured Chards.  But it is just so well balanced with just the right amount of everything.  842 refers the the altitude of the vineyard.

I don't know what will happen at Barwang since the parent company McWilliams is in financial trouble (about to be bought out) and Tumbarumba was ravaged by bush fires earlier this year.  I wouldn't like to see Barwang disappear.  Dan doesn't have the "normal" Chardonnay available at the moment, so I don't know.

20201014_090752.jpg.83e60087e3804802b7f75cc0c5fc6539.jpg

• Like 5

What do you reckon this cost?  Last big trip to the NT we were never in towns, all remote Bush camping. When we went through Alice and Tennant Creek all the bottle shops were shut due to the very strict liquor laws.  Only place we could get alcohol was Renner Springs, basically a servo on the Stuart Hwy. We had a choice of Bundy, Scotch, Lighter Fluid, Metho or Jack Daniels. Personally I wanted some Rum ( anything but Bundy, bloody awful stuff).  Anyhow we decided on the JD.      $104!!!!!!!!!  Don’t even like the stuff!  

Actually not even drinking it, just saw it sitting in the cupboard.87E5F0F8-CC65-4BF1-9482-B2504716B330.thumb.jpeg.a22354a9edc83fc182c34547016a333d.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Ooogh said:

What do you reckon this cost?  Last big trip to the NT we were never in towns, all remote Bush camping. When we went through Alice and Tennant Creek all the bottle shops were shut due to the very strict liquor laws.  Only place we could get alcohol was Renner Springs, basically a servo on the Stuart Hwy. We had a choice of Bundy, Scotch, Lighter Fluid, Metho or Jack Daniels. Personally I wanted some Rum ( anything but Bundy, bloody awful stuff).  Anyhow we decided on the JD.      $104!!!!!!!!!  Don’t even like the stuff!  

Actually not even drinking it, just saw it sitting in the cupboard.87E5F0F8-CC65-4BF1-9482-B2504716B330.thumb.jpeg.a22354a9edc83fc182c34547016a333d.jpeg

Crikey, supply and demand.....and a captive audience.....🤣

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ooogh said:

Indeed I do.

I will revert shortly, slurping on some bubbles as I bbq for now here in the sunny west Oz....🙏🍷

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, Ooogh said:

Indeed I do.

To quote Gary Walsh..... this is off the charts good.

186 days on skins.

Cherry, raspberry , leather, roses, very Baroloesque.....crunchy tannins......yeah, I love it.

Taras was genius 🙏🙏❤️❤️🍷🍷

• Like 3

Visiting my mate tonite to give him my speakers setup for new measurements for additional tweeter horns...and also have a listen to his speakers too.

20201017_195244.jpg

20201017_214827.jpg

• Like 4

A nice fruit forward hands off wine from a very small producer in Margs.

2789990D-0682-4273-A470-AB8740D623B6.jpeg

Edited by mtf
  • Like 6

I had better write this before too long.  It is a magnum and only my youngest and myself are here.  Hmmm sad.

2008 Rothbury Estate Black Label Shiraz (Magnum). 

This was at about the time that the old ownership sold to Hope Estate so I wasn't sure what to expect, whether I would get the old Rothbury or the new.  The selection committee was Sissingh , de Garis and Lowe who are well known names from the Hunter so should be good.  Sissingh was Rothbury's wine maker for years and was responsible for the selection of wines for Rothbury's "gold" label wines.

Anyway I think that this particular one is a great wine typical of the old Hunter styles which you don't tend to see much anymore.  These days many Hunters are too hard and sterile IMO.  I blame the lack of ripeness and over cleanliness ie. no wild yeasts and maybe too much skin, stalk and seed.

Anyway this one is like the oldies with blackish ruby colour, "sweet" fruit, great balance, leathery and wet dog bouquet and understated tannins and alcohol.  A pleasure to drink, which is why I decided to mention it here.

I tried to get some idea of the colour, but that didn't work - too dense.

20201021_175836.jpg.2e800cd90d129df2e04cc15efcd518fa.jpg

• Like 6
24 minutes ago, mtf said:

Cheers big ears🥂

3CFCBBD9-6181-4C9C-AE0E-E61BF1EAE3AA.jpeg

It's a cracker isn't it Mark, been drinking the same over the last month..... super Oz Fizz

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Mendes said:

It's a cracker isn't it Mark, been drinking the same over the last month..... super Oz Fizz

Lovely stuff!

• Like 1

A combined listening/drinking post. Arguably the best Sangiovese in Australia, La Chiave by Castagna ; loads of structured cherry fruits, densely layered tannins and a sumptuous generosity of length. Listening to Pavement's Slanted and Enchanted, indie pop goodness from the 90's.

I saw these guys back in the day and they spent some time prior to the headline slot in a small venue drinking Coopers Ale. A few of the band were a little worse for wear by the time they got on stage...

IMG_3218.thumb.JPG.f4c3750b6bb759a2210e7d00eaed2a3f.JPG

Edited by DRC
  • Like 6
38 minutes ago, DRC said:

A combined listening/drinking post. Arguably the best Sangiovese in Australia, La Chiave by Castagna ; loads of structured cherry fruits, densely layered tannins and a sumptuous generosity of length. Listening to Pavement's Slanted and Enchanted, indie pop goodness from the 90's.

I saw these guys back in the day and they spent some time prior to the headline slot in a small venue drinking Coopers Ale. A few of the band were a little worse for wear by the time they got on stage...

IMG_3218.thumb.JPG.f4c3750b6bb759a2210e7d00eaed2a3f.JPG

Will have to go find a bottle of this to try, cheers!

7 minutes ago, mtf said:

Will have to go find a bottle of this to try, cheers!

Pretty sure Castagna have recently appointed a new distributor in WA. Their Nebb is rare as hens teeth and also excellent.

• Like 1
Just now, DRC said:

Pretty sure Castagna have recently appointed a new distributor in WA. Their Nebb is rare as hens teeth and also excellent.

Great stuff, will enjoy the hunt.

On cooking duties this evening, so a Balter to start as I light the charcoals, then move over to a glass of Cotes de Provence Rose as I cook, then a few glasses of La Bruja  De Rozas (Grenache) with dinner and a few tunes 🎼🎼🎼🎼🎼🎼🎼🎼🎼🎼🎼🎼🎼🎼🎼

76208317-3FAE-49D9-9693-36DA6A3241AC.jpeg

A43A55CB-4B84-4BA4-9433-1C12B971AD69.jpeg

Edited by Mendes
Spelling
  • Like 5
3 hours ago, Mendes said:

On cooking duties this evening, so a Balter to start as I light the charcoals, then move over to a glass of Cotes de Provence Rose as I cook, then a few glasses of La Bruja  De Rozas (Grenache) with dinner and a few tunes 🎼🎼🎼🎼🎼🎼🎼🎼🎼🎼🎼🎼🎼🎼🎼

76208317-3FAE-49D9-9693-36DA6A3241AC.jpeg

A43A55CB-4B84-4BA4-9433-1C12B971AD69.jpeg

Nice line up for the evening Steve, very nice.

Just now, mtf said:

Nice line up for the evening Steve, very nice.

Ha ha, only a few glasses tonight, on the bicycle for a spin early tomorrow morning.

Now tomorrow night is another story....🤣👍🚴‍♂️🚴‍♂️ 🍷🥂🍾

• Haha 1

Getting ready to watch the AFL GF.

Sparkling Syrah from DC and some Ochota Barrels Shellac Syrah fromheartland Barossa.

Bring on a close game...good luck to your teams 🙏

B6A35F5D-EDFB-4DA8-A4C4-162BDA8909D1.jpeg

D28DF49E-25B7-46C7-B22D-62F29D632D35.jpeg

Edited by Mendes
  • Like 5
2 minutes ago, chaddy said:

Luckily the cork held up

and the wine was superb. 

E38CA466-08A6-4AAF-A441-69B2E2F4641B.jpeg

Vintage ?.....looks like 2001

16 hours ago, chaddy said:

Yes. My last bottle of the 2001.

Bet it was magnificent👍

Nice work hanging onto it for that amount of time.

Looking at the bottle, do you store 'em underwater?🤣🤣🤣

3 minutes ago, tripitaka said:

Bet it was magnificent👍

Nice work hanging onto it for that amount of time.

Looking at the bottle, do you store 'em underwater?🤣🤣🤣

Kept in a Kitchener wine cabinet that stopped working for a while. A few labels went mouldy due to humidity but the wine is all good.

• Like 1
On 05/10/2020 at 8:12 AM, Cloth Ears said:

Popped the cork on this one on Saturday. Very nice. Smooth and fruity and super long palate.  Sure am glad there's a couple more left!

IMG_20201003_180000.thumb.jpg.9fbcac3b52ce3d14157940b62c9da812.jpg

Got an invite from Paringa to the back vintage wine sale. I like it when a winery decides they have to get rid of some of their older wines and invites people to help them (along with tastings of all of them)! It won't be quite the same, as the crowding at the 'bar' won't be allowed, and they'll probably have 'seatings' or somesuch. Some folks who usually come from NSW, Queensland and South Aussie for this, will miss out on the tasting part...

• Like 2