• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Our Annual Wine of the Year dinner was last night. Everyone brings a wine they think could be a contender....8 of us were in attendance and we held this at Aria restaurant, a 10 course degustation mat

Xmas lunch with the family, could be a magnum sort of day...💪🍷   Merry Xmas fellow wine lovers.....🙏🎄🎄🎄

Epic night of drinking to celebrate a milestone birthday for one of the guys.  9 of us at Bentley Restaurant. Food was sensational as always.   Agrapart Champagne Grand Cru Terroirs Blanc de

Quite a good line up from last night. Champagne and white bottles missed the photo opportunity.

The 2015 Musigny may have been my the pick of the wines. Iron fist in a (perfumed) velvet glove.

I don't drink like this every night BTW. But wish that I could.

IMG_3178.thumb.JPG.1fee90a074d097c49953a2b763f84d2a.JPG

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Mrs Mendes is a bit over it, but I have managed to string out the birthday celebrations for another weekend.....more celebration vino.....

74D1130A-B3C1-42DB-A51E-0AA906E10FDC.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mendes said:

Mrs Mendes is a bit over it, but I have managed to string out the birthday celebrations for another weekend.....more celebration vino.....

74D1130A-B3C1-42DB-A51E-0AA906E10FDC.jpeg

Goodness me, your next b'day will be coming up soon 😆

• Haha 2
1 minute ago, dwbasement said:

It is a beer nite..

20200919_211551.jpg

Would have preferred to have seen a poured glass alongside 🧐 giving a sense of the colour and head, giving me a better chance to multiply my pleasures vicariously 🤣🤣

• Like 1
1 minute ago, tripitaka said:

Would have preferred to have seen a poured glass alongside 🧐 giving a sense of the colour and head, giving me a better chance to multiply my pleasures vicariously 🤣🤣

Wait for my next bottle mate! After I finish dinner and washing up the dishes 😎

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, dwbasement said:

As promised, a glass of beer and some chips too, one of the best chips I have tasted.

20200919_224541.jpg

Nice colour 👍

And extra points for accompanying nibbles and hifi equipment all bundled in the same image

15 minutes ago, tripitaka said:

Nice colour 👍

And extra points for accompanying nibbles and hifi equipment all bundled in the same image

oi an' the artwork triffic too guv

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dwbasement said:

As promised, a glass of beer and some chips too, one of the best chips I have tasted.

20200919_224541.jpg

When I am back in Sydney (don't know when it would be), I will try Burts chips.

• Like 1
On 15/09/2020 at 6:51 PM, Mendes said:

Been drinking this over the last few nights, quality / price ration is very good as it can be gotten for around $18- when on special.

Needs a big long decant and always better on day two........

Maretti, Langhe Rosso - 64 Wine

Yep these are great value and seem to get better every year (and the Chianti). Plus the screw cap adds some confidence.

• Like 1

Heading off to a SNAer to listen to his system. Got to have a couple of glasses of course. 12 year young, don't have a lot of 128 but it should be quite nice.

20200920_143614.jpg

Edited by dwbasement
  • Like 5
41 minutes ago, Rockford said:

You can probably guess the theme 🙂

44928808-ac50-49ee-87c7-68cbdd379d5a.jpg

IMG_0110.JPEG

IMG_0132.JPEG

IMG_0134.JPEG

Amazing & thanks for sharing the memories, looks like a brilliant night

(and hopefully you do have some memory of the evening👍)

🙏

Now to bring things back to earth with a thud, my drop for tonight 🍷

CD85A0E4-59D1-43CC-94A5-DFB54A7E198C.jpeg

• Like 2
On 20/09/2020 at 2:39 PM, dwbasement said:

Heading off to a SNAer to listen to his system. Got to have a couple of glasses of course. 12 year young, don't have a lot of 128 but it should be quite nice.

20200920_143614.jpg

Sounds like a good plan! and a nice drop to help proceedings along, have fun!

I love the idea of visiting to hear a hifi system...but I would be terrified to return the favour, people on this forum can hear powercords and speaker cables so  god only knows what faults they'd find at my place that I couldn't even distinguish. So tonite I'll sip on my Coonawarra, play some tunes and have my own little SNA party 🙂

Edited by tripitaka
  • Like 1
On 14/09/2020 at 7:28 AM, Cloth Ears said:

I'm having trouble keeping mine - they're just too damn tasty!!!

That was the 2010 Nillahcootie cabernet, yes I'm nearly through mine too!

The value is indisputable but if one is to be picky there isnt much happening after the mid-palate, so I couldn't in good conscience describe it as well-balanced. But hey.., balanced shmalanced 🙂

• Haha 2
6 minutes ago, tripitaka said:

That was the 2010 Nillahcootie cabernet, yes I'm nearly through mine too!

The value is indisputable but if one is to be picky there isnt much happening after the mid-palate, so I couldn't in good conscience describe it as well-balanced. But hey.., balanced shmalanced 🙂

If you let them breathe a bit instead of giving them mouth to mouth, they can even muster a bit of mid palate. Length, hm, about the same as soda water...

4 hours ago, Cloth Ears said:

If you let them breathe a bit instead of giving them mouth to mouth

Haaaaaa sometimes I even put the bottle down !

4 hours ago, Cloth Ears said:

they can even muster a bit of mid palate. Length, hm, about the same as soda water...

Hehe I think we are in agreement on the length, nice to know

Edit: I think the mid-palate is lovely

🙂

Edited by tripitaka
2 hours ago, Cloth Ears said:

Length, hm, about the same as soda water...

Hey CE, something I did one nite was to put a splash of Barossa cabernet in it, just to give it some more tannins.  Perhaps it's somewhat sacriligous, but don't the wineries themselves do this (with admittedly a bit more QC) 🙂

• Like 1
1 hour ago, tripitaka said:

Hey CE, something I did one nite was to put a splash of Barossa cabernet in it, just to give it some more tannins.  Perhaps it's somewhat sacriligous, but don't the wineries themselves do this (with admittedly a bit more QC) 🙂

I often play around with leftover wines and see if I can blend a winner....it’s a bit of fun...... clearly don’t try this with something that’s already amazing 🍷🍷🙏👍

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Mendes said:

I often play around with leftover wines and see if I can blend a winner....it’s a bit of fun...... clearly don’t try this with something that’s already amazing 🍷🍷🙏👍

Paid good money to do this at Tahbilk, with oaked and unoaked CabSauv and Shiraz (2YO at the time). Got to do some interesting blending (and it's amazing what the difference is with only tiny variations) and ended up taking home one bottle (which is still in the cellar after 3 years) and another that was basically 'left-overs' (and drunk the same night).

I think they expect people to get quite pissed while they're doing the blending, but I was driving, so it was more fun than that...

• Like 2
On 20/09/2020 at 8:09 PM, tripitaka said:

Sounds like a good plan! and a nice drop to help proceedings along, have fun!

I love the idea of visiting to hear a hifi system...but I would be terrified to return the favour, people on this forum can hear powercords and speaker cables so  god only knows what faults they'd find at my place that I couldn't even distinguish. So tonite I'll sip on my Coonawarra, play some tunes and have my own little SNA party 🙂

Thats why you need the drinks! Tell them it is a blind testing, use a power cable from the kettle and tell them something else and see what happen haha.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, dwbasement said:

Thats why you need the drinks! Tell them it is a blind testing, use a power cable from the kettle and tell them something else and see what happen haha.

Oooo you are a wicked one 🙂

According to Ittaku (and I'm paraphrasing) half will say the kettle cord has enhaced the highs but added a slight brittleness while the other half will say it has added bass extension but at the expense of midrange resolution.

Still we are off topic.

I'm back on Cloth Ears' King Valley bargain cabernet (which I'm not really qualified to critique, as I generally gravitate to wine from warmer climes)

🙂

Edited by tripitaka
14 hours ago, tripitaka said:

I'm back on Cloth Ears' King Valley bargain cabernet (which I'm not really qualified to critique, as I generally gravitate to wine from warmer climes)

🙂

I think there's only one person on this forum 'qualified' to critique (@DRC), but the rest of us qualify as enthusiastic amateurs. And as we put our mouths where our money has been, surely that gives us a certain qualification...

BTW, I upgraded my kettle power cord and the tea tastes sooo much better now. I can distinguish all the little extras I couldn't before - the small amount of mouse hair in one batch and when bitter orange or mint is used in cheaper Earl Grey (hot) teas!!! And the reconstituted tomato soup tastes almost like the real thing!!! 

(Naughty Cloth Ears! Bad! Bad!)

Edited by Cloth Ears
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, Cloth Ears said:

I think there's only one person on this forum 'qualified' to critique (@DRC), but the rest of us qualify as enthusiastic amateurs. And as we put our mouths where our money has been, surely that gives us a certain qualification...

Anyone can critique a wine, or any other consumable. No qualification required. You either like it or not. 

• Like 1

Tasty Gamay. From the Fleurie Cru. Beaujolais is a good region worth exploring once you step pass the entry-level supermarket wines.

dubueof.thumb.jpg.d8f02674d15a8ca187f1942bcaf78a91.jpg

• Like 5

They all start to blur but I'm still pretty sure this was $8 delivered from Vinomofo, a startlingly good value SA cabernet 👍

E5DCFC18-DDDB-4BA9-A6E2-2D31102F02D4.jpeg

Edited by tripitaka
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, DRC said:

Tasty Gamay. From the Fleurie Cru. Beaujolais is a good region worth exploring once you step pass the entry-level supermarket wines.

dubueof.thumb.jpg.d8f02674d15a8ca187f1942bcaf78a91.jpg

My ignorance is unlimited, so may I ask what this region comes closest to in Australian wines? 

52 minutes ago, tripitaka said:

My ignorance is unlimited, so may I ask what this region comes closest to in Australian wines? 

Gamay is a purple-colored grape variety used to make red wines, most notably grown in Beaujolais and in the Loire Valley around Tours. Its full name is Gamay Noir à Jus Blanc. It is a very old cultivar, mentioned as long ago as the 15th century.

Some In The Mornington Peninsula, Eldridge comes to mind, but there is more around the country..🙏🍷

• Like 1
Just now, Mendes said:

Gamay is a purple-colored grape variety used to make red wines, most notably grown in Beaujolais and in the Loire Valley around Tours. Its full name is Gamay Noir à Jus Blanc. It is a very old cultivar, mentioned as long ago as the 15th century.

Some In The Mornington Peninsula, Eldridge comes to mind, but there is more around the country..🙏🍷

Thank you kind sir! Of course I should have asked about the grape first, as well as the region, so thank you for covering for me 🙂

It is also a chance to acknowledge your signature, it's from Warren Zevon no? Was listening to The Wind the other night and came across that quote in a interview he did at the time of the album's release.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, tripitaka said:

Thank you kind sir! Of course I should have asked about the grape first, as well as the region, so thank you for covering for me 🙂

It is also a chance to acknowledge your signature, it's from Warren Zevon no? Was listening to The Wind the other night and came across that quote in a interview he did at the time of the album's release.

Warren was a complex man, great musican, actually freak’n amazing musician. The danger is that we go though life and see stuff and learn nothing. I observed (on tv, utube etc) Warren in the final year, months of of his life with his friends. When Letterman asked him what lessons a dying man could give him.....he thought for a while and finally said.....enjoy every sandwich.....🙏🎼🎼🎼🎼🎼🎼.....it always stuck with me....

Long live Warren Zevon

2BE90B03-FB47-4BFD-94DB-A83C534E2A11.jpeg

• Like 3

Well I know these blues are gonna rub me raw
Every single cure seems to be against the law
Went and told my psychic I said, "Keep it to yourself
I don't wanna hear it and don't be telling no one else"

haha, love it.

Disorder in the house
All bets are off
I'm sprawled across
The davenport of despair