• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Our Annual Wine of the Year dinner was last night. Everyone brings a wine they think could be a contender....8 of us were in attendance and we held this at Aria restaurant, a 10 course degustation mat

Xmas lunch with the family, could be a magnum sort of day...💪🍷   Merry Xmas fellow wine lovers.....🙏🎄🎄🎄

Epic night of drinking to celebrate a milestone birthday for one of the guys.  9 of us at Bentley Restaurant. Food was sensational as always.   Agrapart Champagne Grand Cru Terroirs Blanc de

On 10/09/2020 at 3:44 PM, Ian McP said:

bought a bottle on spec

unfiltered red from the Pfalz region, wonder what varieties are in it?

https://www.aldi.com.au/en/special-buys/special-buys-liquor/liquor-detail/ps/p/black-star-cuvee-unfiltered-red-2019-750ml/

Dunkelfelder and Cabernet Mitos

Not that i'm normally having a tipple with weekday lunch😳  but indulging on a day off 

I impulsively paid $20 for this based on extensive research (it had lots of gold sticker bling) but i see it going for $18 as a single bottle and less in bulk buy but either way pretty drinkable right noo

IMG_4996.jpg

Edited by 2Brix
  • Like 4
23 hours ago, 2Brix said:

Not that i'm normally having a tipple with weekday lunch😳  but indulging on a day off 

I impulsively paid $20 for this based on extensive research (it had lots of gold sticker bling) but i see it going for $18 as a single bottle and less in bulk buy but either way pretty drinkable right noo

IMG_4996.jpg

https://www.firstchoiceliquor.com.au/red-wine/sisters-run-shiraz-750ml_8933718

$11.40 across any six

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cheers (literally) @Ian McP i ducked out and grabbed a few of the SR's at that price and a few WB Yellows at $10 ea.  All up $64 for 6 bottles....all set, just need to cultivate the 3 day growth 🙂  

IMG_4999.jpg

• Like 3

Been drinking this over the last few nights, quality / price ration is very good as it can be gotten for around $18- when on special.

Needs a big long decant and always better on day two........

Maretti, Langhe Rosso - 64 Wine

• Like 4
39 minutes ago, Mendes said:

Been drinking this over the last few nights, quality / price ration is very good as it can be gotten for around $18- when on special.

Good to see you are slumming it tonight 🤣

That's in my price range👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, tripitaka said:

This is excellent, needs to be decanted to open up👍

6ADC263C-BE61-40A9-A349-EF48E1C6DE9C.jpeg

And ages very well also, some very good fruit used here...

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, tripitaka said:

Good to see you are slumming it tonight 🤣

That's in my price range👍

You have me so wrong, I am a man of the people, just been collecting for many years and finally slowly drinking it.......🙏😂🍷🍷

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, Mendes said:

You have me so wrong, I am a man of the people, just been collecting for many years and finally slowly drinking it.......🙏😂🍷🍷

Brilliant, that's truly the way to do it!!

Now I could have done that..🤣 except I drank it all too quick 😩

• Like 1
1 minute ago, tripitaka said:

Brilliant, that's truly the way to do it!!

Now I could have done that..🤣 except I drank it all too quick 😩

So that’s the hard bit, you have to have the discipline to buy more than you consume to accumulate, not always possible with life and hifi getting in the way...🙏🍷

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Mendes said:

Sounds like me...after 24 years of patient ...🤪

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Mendes said:

So that’s the hard bit, you have to have the discipline to buy more than you consume to accumulate, not always possible with life and hifi getting in the way...🙏🍷

I lucked in on the principle of buying enough cheap stuff so that I can drink that and save some of the good stuff for later. And my second secret is having 8 nieces and nephews - which means I can buy good wines by the dozen and still have 4 bottles of each to 'check on their progress' before I give them on their 21st birthdays.

Yes, I have a rigid tasting plan

Yes, the parents also get to taste (what is Christmas for otherwise?).

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Cloth Ears said:

I lucked in on the principle of buying enough cheap stuff so that I can drink that and save some of the good stuff for later.

This is sound policy👍

but even though I try this, I still seem to come undone since the good stuff comes out when friends come over or when I'm visiting them, so I always seem to be on the back foot.

We'll see how I go with my current stock as I'm now back above 15doz reds, for the first time in ages 👏

😊

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, tripitaka said:

This is sound policy👍

but even though I try this, I still seem to come undone since the good stuff comes out when friends come over or when I'm visiting them, so I always seem to be on the back foot.

We'll see how I go with my current stock as I'm now back above 15doz reds, for the first time in ages 👏

😊

Hmmm. Counting how much I've got - that's a good idea!

Aside from the 29 dozen for the nieces and nephews (about half are 11 bottles after the first tasting) I think there's 38 cases worth (some are full cases!) of various wines.

Beers - at least 4 of 5 different beers going back to 2016 (the Red Hill Weizenbock is superb after 6-8 years).

The aging chili sauce...

First bottles of most of the Chief's Son whiskies

And then there's Mrs CE's dads' collection of spirits, taking up valuable wine space under the stairs (his new place is too small). And 9 gallons of his 1979 vino cotto in gallon jars.

Can someone remind me Mrs CE and I are doing a dry September?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I've always worked on the principle of storing enough vino to keep us in good drinking in the event of a zombie apocalypse. Which can vary day-to-day depending on my anticipation of how long an apocalypse may last, allocating for drop in zombie-dodging friends and how thirsty we may become. Few zombie sightings on the weekend, but thirst and friends were readily apparent.

vino.thumb.jpg.ebe48f77612a6d42fd9387bdff6fd330.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
45 minutes ago, DRC said:

I've always worked on the principle of storing enough vino to keep us in good drinking in the event of a zombie apocalypse. Which can vary day-to-day depending on my anticipation of how long an apocalypse may last, allocating for drop in zombie-dodging friends and how thirsty we may become. Few zombie sightings on the weekend, but thirst and friends were readily apparent.

!!!! looks like a pretty good session there... wish I lived near you 🤣🤣

On 15/09/2020 at 6:10 PM, Mendes said:

I am just like you who have been collecting for over the years which grew to around 1000+ bottles (I bet you collected far more than me) and now down to about 400+ after some asked to sell some of my collection to them  Not sure if I can consume all till the end as I don't drink as much as I should be. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
28 minutes ago, tripitaka said:

I don't drink much white wine, but this is excellent by my (not-very-expert) standards 👍

92A445A7-7910-41A9-B5A1-482F10058357.jpeg

Wait, what? ..white wine exists? 😵

• Like 1
2 hours ago, DRC said:

DC......you should have bought out the Gimp...🍷🍷🍷🍷

• Like 1
6 hours ago, DRC said:

This is impressive no matter how you look at it.

I have a similar picture but it took us with my BIL probably a week.

Bottle when he arrived from work, then another one when he was cooking and of course the third with dinner.

Some more on weekends.

But in a single weekend this is impressive.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, rockeater said:

This is impressive no matter how you look at it.

I have a similar picture but it took us with my BIL probably a week.

Bottle when he arrived from work, then another one when he was cooking and of course the third with dinner.

Some more on weekends.

But in a single weekend this is impressive.

There was plenty of assistance!

• Like 1
On 15/09/2020 at 6:51 PM, Mendes said:

Their Chianti rates well too!

https://cloudwine.com.au/products/maretti-chianti-2018?variant=31701410578505&currency=AUD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&utm_campaign=gs-2019-02-05&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIx-KGm6_v6wIVyH0rCh1klwo9EAQYASABEgJjB_D_BwE

< "Sweetly fruited and fragrant, the bouquet shows da rk cherry, toasted almond, anise and thyme notes, followed by a beautifully weighted palate that offers lovely fruit intensity together with spicy nuances and polished tannins. Delightfully drinkable. At its best: now to 2022."  Rated: 92 Points.  Sam Kim, www.wineorbit.co.nz, January 2020

"Cherries, dark, sweet and sour, almond paste, perfume of dried herbs. It’s medium-bodied, but fleshy and ripe, powdery tannin, some new leather savoury stuff and a subtle bitter tweak, solid finish. Drinks well. Value and flavour delivered, with appropriate regional character. Yep. Good stuff." - Gary Walsh.  The Wine Front >

• Like 2

The Australian winegrape crush in 2020 was 1.52 million tonnes – the equivalent of over 1 billion litres of wine, according to the National Vintage Report 2020 released today by Wine Australia.

The 2020 crush was 12 per cent lower than the 2019 crush, and 13 per cent below the ten-year average of 1.75 million tonnes.

It was the smallest crop since 2007 but was most similar in terms of yield to 2010 – a year of exceptional wines – when the crush was 1.61 million tonnes, but the vineyard area then was about 4 per cent higher than the current area. - Source - wineaustralia.com - 7/7/2020

- Interesting - 2020 may be a significant quality vintage? Note that whites are down more than reds, and Riesling at a 20 year low of 17K tonne?

Edited by The Fez
  • Like 3

@Mendes

Is this bottle of sour grapes the sign of a sophisticated old middle class white male

Or a sign that I should stick with beer🍺😀

CC6280A7-5011-48C5-8E44-C955BF4F4B5B.jpeg

Edited by keyse1
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, keyse1 said:

@Mendes

Is this bottle of sour grapes the sign of a sophisticated old middle class white male

Or a sign that I should stick with beer🍺😀

CC6280A7-5011-48C5-8E44-C955BF4F4B5B.jpeg

All that matters is that “you” like it @keyse1 , I always had you pegged as sophisticated, and being sophisticated means you can also enjoy a good beer when the moment arises....🙏

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
13 minutes ago, dwbasement said:

I like the Rabbit, a pub near my work has that on tap. Nice dark ale.

First tasting for me. Tis a lovely drop indeed 👍

• Like 2

Wife stole my wine!!!😱   😱   😭😢

She was supposed to be out this evening mixing it down at Byron Bay  so I bought some pork fillet, tiny little strip of pale meat from a local piggery and whipped out my hidden wine from the cunningly placed cardboard box in the new workshop mancave with wine written on the side of it and stuck it in the fridge.

I'm in here in my listening room  texting away on the ph to various members here and spotify is choosing my Fri evening playlist and things are swell.

Door slides open and a quick hi and by and I'll see you later I'm round to blah blahs place for a chat. This wine any good?

Hey! HEY!!!! Come back! ....Gone.

Greystone-Sand-Dollars-Pinot-Gris-2016.p

Last one...my one, my bottle to have with the charred sweet hoisin sauced fillet.

Didn't even get a chance to take a pic of it. Gone for ever. She's driving so she'll put ice in her glass and sit on it all night and leave the bottle to be downed by the uninitiated with crackers and gherkins.

Woe is me. Sand Dollar Pinot Gris gone and I'm left with an empty heart.

Life is indeed cruel, it's a harsh mistress.

*Moral of the story should be don't hide your special plonk, tell her about it and then hide it and ...lie your heart out.😈

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

@Mendes   Steve...I'm yet to tell her I bought new speakers this afternoon.(didn't know I was either to be truthful...lol)

I've a feeling sometime this weekend it's going to get warmish here...

• Like 1