Ok sort of a new thread - seems appropriate to me - at least tonight!

Got this today at my local - they had 5 bottles of this 1.5 litres of 1999 Rymill Coonawarra Merlot Cabernet Franc Cab Sav - and the price you ask only bloody $24 - I only bought one bottle thinking it must be past its best - I am a complete ****head!!!!!!!!:P

[ATTACH]6626[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]6627[/ATTACH]

• Like 3
  • Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Our Annual Wine of the Year dinner was last night. Everyone brings a wine they think could be a contender....8 of us were in attendance and we held this at Aria restaurant, a 10 course degustation mat

Celebrating 34th wedding anniversary today. Took the day off to cook for princess given we are still wearing masks ,so why go out when I can cook up a treat at home and wine list is cool.  

TGIF.......

Hi Anythiing,

Funny you mentioned Rymill, as I was going to have Rymill 1997 Cab Sav but had a cool Grande Chimay instead since the temp rosed above 30+ here in Melbourne. I must say though, I'm a big fan of Rymill, especially their Merlot.

[ATTACH]6628[/ATTACH]

Cheers,

Michael.

• Like 1

Tried a Carpineto Chianti Classico 2006 ($20-ish), best avoided. Had one glass while cooking, finished another glass whilst eating and listening.

I like Chianti and Tuscan wines in general, this one was not good.

Edited by DRC
typo

Currently drinking? Keg Port.

I have a 9 litre wooden port keg, which I must admit I've neglected for a while. When I checked it the other day, I found that it was nearly empty. The small amount of port in the bottom had become concentrated to a syrupy texture. Tasted very good though.

Now, its not a good thing for port kegs to become empty, as the timber can dry out and shrink. So, I took a trip to the Barossa Valley on the weekend and popped in at Kies winery to get some of their bulk tawny port. I refilled the keg last night, leaving the syrup in the bottom to blend in with the new. Initially there were a couple of small leaks, which probably means the wood had started to dry out a bit. The leaks stopped after a couple of hours, though, so all is ok.

So, am sampling the port as I am typing this, and it is tasting very good indeed. (Must be time for a refill.)

Currently drinking? Keg Port.

I have a 9 litre wooden port keg, which I must admit I've neglected for a while. When I checked it the other day, I found that it was nearly empty. The small amount of port in the bottom had become concentrated to a syrupy texture. Tasted very good though.

Now, its not a good thing for port kegs to become empty, as the timber can dry out and shrink. So, I took a trip to the Barossa Valley on the weekend and popped in at Kies winery to get some of their bulk tawny port. I refilled the keg last night, leaving the syrup in the bottom to blend in with the new. Initially there were a couple of small leaks, which probably means the wood had started to dry out a bit. The leaks stopped after a couple of hours, though, so all is ok.

So, am sampling the port as I am typing this, and it is tasting very good indeed. (Must be time for a refill.)

I just went to Kies on Sunday and bought 6 litres of their Bastardo port... have you tried that? It is one of my favourite ports :cool:

I just went to Kies on Sunday and bought 6 litres of their Bastardo port... have you tried that? It is one of my favourite ports :cool:

No, I haven't tried that, must give it a go. Looks like we were there on the same day. The place seemed quite popular, there were quite a lot of cars parked outside.

Got all excited today as we are down in the big smoke, so popped into Dan Murphy's for a mixed dozen of interesting beers.

Currently enjoying a Grand Ridge Moonshine - Dark Scoth Ale.

[ATTACH]6691[/ATTACH]

Cheers,

Jake

sm_shir.jpg

Opened a 2005 1.5 litre bottle selling for $16 at my local last night - hope to finish the bottle tonight! - Good drinking at that price IMHO and who says drinking on your own mid week is not really that social - Im having a great time! Hic!

sm_shir.jpg

Opened a 2005 1.5 litre bottle selling for $16 at my local last night - hope to finish the bottle tonight! - Good drinking at that price IMHO and who says drinking on your own mid week is not really that social - Im having a great time! Hic!

Be sociable and shake hands with yourself Franco, not a bad drop :cool:

i have failed in my self imposed challenge mrs thiing has cinfiscated the stonemasons! I will have to go to bed only slighty pissed!

an outrage!!!

I have failed in my self imposed challenge Mrs thiing has cinfiscated the stonemasons! I will have to go to bed only slighty pissed!

Maybe she still wants you to have a little control over your faculties! ;)

just finished a six pack of these. Had never had a coopers before coming to this forum. tried the green ones last weekend and was impressed and just as happy tonight.

Coopers_Stout_Large.jpg

now just enjoying a glass of whiskey. the father in law got me hooked on this one a few years back. very good quality blend at a reasonable price :D

SUNTORY_HIBIKI_aged_17_years_old_Japanese_Whisky_700_ml.jpg

just finished a six pack of these. Had never had a coopers before coming to this forum. tried the green ones last weekend and was impressed and just as happy tonight.

Coopers_Stout_Large.jpg

In that case, try the red ones. If you like the green ones, you'll love the red.

FCAB-BLUE-03-750ML.gif

Just got the pre-release 2006 vintage yesterday and drinking now ... oh sweet mary .. whilst listening to some of Bach' Cantata's ... i could have a heart attack now and die on this very seat i am sitting on and be very happy. :) .. How freakin morbid i hear you say ... yes perhaps .. but life is like that ... lol .. maybe i have had too much to drink??

• 3 weeks later...

Perth ed - that looks the goods - must try it

Got the old cheap tellw tail Shiraz - 2007 @ $8 cant go wrong for a quaff

Also bought a 2005 Jacobs Creek RESERVE Cab Sav for $13 - now thats a bargain - saving that for mid week when I have 3 days holiday - woo hoo

Tonight's wines (in front of a good listening session with the 'Logans)

[ATTACH]7089[/ATTACH]

........and next week's........(maybe) - It pains me to buy non-Australian, but this is one of my favourites from the good 'ol USA.

[ATTACH]7090[/ATTACH]

Edited by amey01

Hi Andy,

I just 'discovered' the Mann's last night ... and went back this afternoon and invested in a dozen ($65, 500ml bottles). To me it's like a light stout rather than a brown ale, but no complaint. I normally go for full strength beers but this one (2.8%) is tastey.

Regards,

Ed

Mike nice drop - you guys are making me thirsty - **** this yellow tail is tasing funny all of a sudden like its gone bad - nothing "grange" or paxton "like" about it

Id quaff at AMEY 01 any time- hell cheap flight to QLD on virgin and its his shout - nice drop

The Scarpantoni is actually from down your way - McLaren Vale.

Well its my 26th today and my wife bought me a 20ltr Port Keg... Right before winter, so that should provide many nice nights in front of the fire, stereo on softly and a very nice drop to wash it all down :D

Oh and I have to get the name of the wine, but we had a VERY nice 1986 bottle at my friends house a couple weeks ago. Probably the nicest red I have every tasted. Took us 20min to get the cork out as it kept crumbling but the motivation was there :D At $50/bottle though you would want it to be good.