Infinity Kappa 9 PRICE DROP

Item: One pair Infinity Kappa 9 Loudspeakers
Price: $3000 $2700. ONO  Last chance!!
Item Condition: Very Good
Reason for selling: Committed to something else
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
Extra Info: I have had these for a short while and am stunned by how lovely they are. I'm driving with Xindak 200w monos but they aren't appropriate for these current-hungry monsters. Anyone who knows this era of Infinity speakers will know how careful one needs to be with amplification. I don't drive these hard and I have the switch set to Normal (the other setting is "Extended" and that's where things could get interesting). Over the past few weeks I have had many extended listening sessions and have come to the conclusion that these are the 2nd best speaker I've owned. only 2nd best because I don't have proper amplification nor is my room big enough but with space and a high current amp... these would be hard to beat at anywhere near the price range. A couple of issues to report on these speakers. One of the supertweeters isn't working. The reason for that is unknown to me. The rear tweeters may not be functioning either. Neither of these issues seems to make a difference to how good these speakers sound. I don't hear an imbalance in any way. Nut then, I'm old and supertweeters are a concept more than a necessity for me. In any case, these are beautiful sounding speakers in superb physical condition. Rare as Hen's Teeth too. I have them advertised on Ebay for way more than I'm asking. For SNA I thought I'd temper the pricing somewhat. Anyway. Auditions are welcome and of course, pickup only.

If these don't sell at near this price then they will be coming with me... A pain in the arse but better than giving them away....

Sorry about the sideways pics. Maybe someone can flip 'em for me? Cheers, M

Pictures:

IMG_6171.JPG

IMG_6172.JPG

IMG_6173.JPG

IMG_6174.JPG

IMG_6175.JPG

IMG_6176.JPG

IMG_6177.JPG

IMG_6178.JPG

IMG_6179.JPG

IMG_6180.JPG

IMG_6181.JPG

IMG_6182.JPG

IMG_6183.JPG

IMG_6184.JPG

IMG_6185.JPG

IMG_6186.JPG

Edited by unclemack
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Crustacean said:

I thought these were the ultimate when they were released.

If only I had enough power to drive them now! (Wind power will not be enough)

Someone in in for a treat when they get these sorted out.

100 Watts is plenty for these guys, PROVIDED the amp can deliver vast amounts of current. 

090801082656_kappa9.jpg

So the real reqirement is to stably supply current to a minimum of 0.8ohm!

There are pleny of quality amps that can supply 30A+, but usually they don't specify minimum load impedence. Out of memory some krell and quad amps can do that.

Just now, hotJ said:

So the real reqirement is to stably supply current to a minimum of 0.8ohm!

There are pleny of quality amps that can supply 30A+, but usually they don't specify minimum load impedence. Out of memory some krell and quad amps can do that.

Quad - no. Some Krells, Mark Levinsons and many ME models - yes. 

That catch that many forget, is that if the amp is rated for higher power output @ 8 Ohms, then current output must also increase. 

Edited by Zaphod Beeblebrox

10 minutes ago, Rhinog66 said:

Note that Infinity Kappas (and RS 4.5s) can roast amps that are not stable at low impedances. I've done it very successfully with three different, powerful amps.

I had 4.5s a couple of years back and due to that rep, bought an ME75 to drive them, which it did very well. If I were to keep these then I would absolutely go ME again.

Cheers

M

4 minutes ago, ex brickie said:

Some older Linn amps should do it as they had a tough load driving Isobariks and Saras....? They went down to low ohms...

Don't know much about then but they need to be stable to under an ohm...

Having said that, with the speakers set to normal, they don't present too scary a load to a "normal" amp. It's only when you go to "Extended" mode that you need bags of current to keep you out of trouble.

M

I sold a lot of these speakers when they were new and nearly always with audio research amplification, D-125's, D-250, M-100's, D-115 and yes, all around 100 watts a channel. A very good match and quite delightful sonically. Good luck with the sale. The ribbon tweeters are repairable if you know what you are doing but can be permanently damaged if you don't. 

1 hour ago, guru said:

I sold a lot of these speakers when they were new and nearly always with audio research amplification, D-125's, D-250, M-100's, D-115 and yes, all around 100 watts a channel. A very good match and quite delightful sonically. Good luck with the sale. The ribbon tweeters are repairable if you know what you are doing but can be permanently damaged if you don't. 

If you like fat, flabby, uncontrolled bass, such amps will work just fine. OTOH, if high quality results are desired, then the Kappa 9 MUST be driven with an amplifier that possesses prodigious current ability (which leaves out all valve amps), combined with a decently low output impedance (which also leaves out any valve amp).

Examine that 0.8 Ohm dip again. Even a D-250 has an output transformer with around a 1 Ohm resistance. That means more power will be lost in the output transformer than is delivered to the speaker. 

Fact is, many valve amps can sound pretty decent. Just not through Kappa 9 speakers. A very, very bad match. 

Edited by Zaphod Beeblebrox

Whatever Trevor. I think ME were still in business at that stage so you must have taken a lot of trade ins once you had shown all of those customers the errors of their ways. Funny, I didn't see many systems change to solid state after they bought that AR and Infinity combination but you were on the ground  so all good.

Kappa 9s were my dream speaker for 20 years, never found any in the right condition or price, I still own Kappa 7s which are now resting in my cupboard after many years of hard work.

For any one concerned about the difficulty driving these speakers, new crossovers have been designed to fix the issue and improve the sound also, supposedly  :thumb:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Infinity-Kappa-7-8-9-Speaker-Crossover-Filter-Network-Kappa7-Kappa8-Kappa9-/370590539435

GLWTS

dly 

• Like 2

On 09/01/2017 at 5:50 PM, awayward said:

Kappa 9s were my dream speaker for 20 years, never found any in the right condition or price, I still own Kappa 7s which are now resting in my cupboard after many years of hard work.

For any one concerned about the difficulty driving these speakers, new crossovers have been designed to fix the issue and improve the sound also, supposedly  :thumb:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Infinity-Kappa-7-8-9-Speaker-Crossover-Filter-Network-Kappa7-Kappa8-Kappa9-/370590539435

GLWTS

dly 

Just had a look at this...very interesting. Thanks @awayward

M

• 1 year later...