Games with the best sound design / soundtracks

Hello gamers, 

What are your favourite games with the best sound design or soundtracks?

Normally, I find games to have fairly lacklustre audio but every now and then some games really knock the chair from under me. 

Some of my favourites are: 

Total War: Warhammer (PC)

- This games sound design is awesome... During battles, thunder clouds rumble in the distance, arrows and cannon fire whizzes past the camera, lumbering giants stomp the ground with huge thuds, flying monsters terrorise the skies and swoop down on your troops. Overall it makes the experience very immersive. Creative Assembly put extra effort into making this game sound as good as it looks in my opinion (Although the soundtrack is a little average). 

even on Youtube it sounds pretty great: 

Crysis 3 

- Not my favourite game of all time but the soundtrack is impactful and well recorded. Sound effects are also top notch. 

The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion 

- Awesome soundtrack and probably my favourite RPG (with the witcher 3 a close second). The soundtrack perfectly fits the setting and really makes adventuring through Tamriel a joy. I never really loved Skyrim, but Oblivion will always have a special place in my gaming collection, (and the soundtrack probably plays a big role in that!).

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Great sound design, great soundtrack, great voice acting, great game. A true triple A title worthy of your time. The music really has a way of adding intensity to battles although, after 50 hours of playtime, being yelled at by the Slavic medieval choir wears thin and you will probably be reaching for the volume knob to turn it down during battles. 

Anyway, that is a few of my faves... What are yours? :)

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Ugly said:

My favourite would have to be Bastion

Image result for bastion

I actually use this soundtrack at the shows we do. Cost a bomb to buy but well worth it.

11 minutes ago, guru said:

I actually use this soundtrack at the shows we do. Cost a bomb to buy but well worth it.

Yeah cool, I will have to pick it up if you are using it for hi-fi show demos! 

These guys are doing a FLAC copy for 9.99USD 

https://store.supergiantgames.com/products/official-bastion-soundtrack-digital-download

Not too bad. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TJD said:

Yeah cool, I will have to pick it up if you are using it for hi-fi show demos! 

These guys are doing a FLAC copy for 9.99USD 

https://store.supergiantgames.com/products/official-bastion-soundtrack-digital-download

Not too bad. 

I found a mint cd copy on Amazon after a customer auditioning a system played a ripped copy of zia's theme. It sounded good in that format.

On 1/5/2017 at 8:11 AM, Alfred Hayes said:

Roadrash on the original PlayStation had Soundgarden tracks. That was my favourite. For something more modern, I think the theme music in Halo (can't remember now which Halo) is also pretty good.

Nice one.

I have never played the road rash game but I do remember Halo having an excellent soundtrack. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 2017-1-5 at 9:11 AM, Alfred Hayes said:

Roadrash on the original PlayStation had Soundgarden tracks. That was my favourite. For something more modern, I think the theme music in Halo (can't remember now which Halo) is also pretty good.

Yep, great soundtrack and how much fun was Roadrash to play?  Simple, mindless escapism. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

+1 for Witcher 3, the sound effects in the forest was really well done, and Geralt is straight badass!

Games that spring to mind that I really liked with bonus points if it makes my sub rock :P)

Mass Effect 3 aka the last good game ;) the title song is awesome with a hunting piano that is used nicely in dreams sequences.

The Last of Us was great too, nice acoustic guitar work that really set the mood

Red Dead Redemption, It was always fun to jump on a horse and hear the music pick up with a sweet bassline and percussion to get you moving

As for straight sound design.

Horizon Zero Dawn and the machine effects in that really help communicate there distance and placement in the environment, by the tone of the sound effect you could tell their level of aggression too. Very nice.

Zelda Breath Of The Wild use audio sparingly in general roaming but when it kicked in it was always in a way that told you something about the area, if was dangerous, a secret is near or if a challenge was ahead.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 1/5/2017 at 9:11 AM, Alfred Hayes said:

Here's a fun fact for you.It was first released on 3DO and I think I had one of the first ones. This was supposed to be the ultimate home entertainment machine. Anyone could make one Panasonic. Toshiba, goldstar.

The soundtrack got me into the alternative scene for a brief moment, the 2 best CD's I got from it was Hammerbox and Paw.

IMG_9099.jpg

37 minutes ago, Dylan86.exe said:

Alien Isolation and Titanfall 2 had brilliant Sound design. Alien scared the absolute **** out of me. I don't want to play that game again :huh:

Ha! I'm normally a 'hard' difficulty setting type of gamer. A bit of a challenge and get a bit more game time out of it. But Alien Isolation was just too intense that way. I totally wimped out and put it on easy. That way I could enjoy the story more and enjoy the 80's spacecraft scenery a bit :) Great game but one play through was enough! 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, PauliD said:

Ha! I'm normally a 'hard' difficulty setting type of gamer. A bit of a challenge and get a bit more game time out of it. But Alien Isolation was just too intense that way. I totally wimped out and put it on easy. That way I could enjoy the story more and enjoy the 80's spacecraft scenery a bit :) Great game but one play through was enough! 

I bought that game at full RRP and never really got into it.  After playing Outlast I found it to fall a little flat of expectation.  Maybe I'll give it another go.

On that note, try Outlast! Terrifying

On 7/13/2017 at 3:58 PM, PauliD said:

+1 for Witcher 3, the sound effects in the forest was really well done, and Geralt is straight badass!

Games that spring to mind that I really liked with bonus points if it makes my sub rock :P)

Mass Effect 3 aka the last good game ;) the title song is awesome with a hunting piano that is used nicely in dreams sequences.

The Last of Us was great too, nice acoustic guitar work that really set the mood

Red Dead Redemption, It was always fun to jump on a horse and hear the music pick up with a sweet bassline and percussion to get you moving

As for straight sound design.

Horizon Zero Dawn and the machine effects in that really help communicate there distance and placement in the environment, by the tone of the sound effect you could tell their level of aggression too. Very nice.

Zelda Breath Of The Wild use audio sparingly in general roaming but when it kicked in it was always in a way that told you something about the area, if was dangerous, a secret is near or if a challenge was ahead.

Great list dude

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TJD said:

I bought that game at full RRP and never really got into it.  After playing Outlast I found it to fall a little flat of expectation.  Maybe I'll give it another go.

On that note, try Outlast! Terrifying

I got Outlast when it was a PSN+ freebie but it's sitting in my virtual pile of shame.
I may do so in a game release lul, but totally hooked on Super Metroid on the SNES mini. I never got the chance to play it first time around :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PauliD said:

I got Outlast when it was a PSN+ freebie but it's sitting in my virtual pile of shame.
I may do so in a game release lul, but totally hooked on Super Metroid on the SNES mini. I never got the chance to play it first time around :)

I need to give Outlast another go. My brother keeps telling me to play it. I couldn't get into it the first time coz the graphics kinda sucked. But i'll give it another go. Apparently the new one is good too.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PauliD said:

Do it! 

• Like 1