Please help me ID these monoblocks

If anyone has any schematics for any of these models I'd love to see them! I have one of the smaller models and it's beautifully made. I'd really like to have a schematic in case anything goes wrong with it - and just to see what the design philosophy was. 

Oh and do be careful about trying to drive ESLs with *anything* without the designer's own advice or a very reliable source - it has nothing to do with power or how expensive your amp is/was. I sold some innersound ESLs to a guy complete with a nice amp to drive them which the guys at Coda made for Sanders at Innersound and he decided to connect his gold plated edition Krell KSA-50 to them and blew the *#$#$^&^*^* out of it. Capacitive loads like ESLs make fast amps with lots of feedback oscillate ultrasonically, often at full output and they *really* don't like to do that. The first you will see of it is, as often as not, smoke. Really, it's sad to see some of these beautiful older/rare amps die for lack of care because someone's picked them up for a song or had them left to them. I know nothing about the poster here and wouldn't presume to say anything about them at all - this is just a general comment that I think should be put out there for noobs and the generally foolhardy. 8) Don't do it! 

Edited by treuben

• 1 year later...

Before the week is out, these amps will be in my lounge room powering my modded NHT Classic 4 towers. In the longer term though, I was actually hoping to consolidate my two systems (one for music and one for HT) into one do-it-all system using these amps. I had shortlisted the likes of Martin Logan's Classic ESL 9 or the Electromotion ESL X.

I've reviewed the comments in this thread about using these monos with ESLs however, I know newer MLs and the ML panels I've mentioned above specifically are easier on amps than their older models.

Would this combination still be problematic you think? 

Edited by Winno

So, I got to speak with Mr Secher today.

He supports @Zaphod Beeblebrox and doesn't recommend impedances below 2 Ohm nominal for these monos. The ML ESL X dip to 1.6 and the Classic 9 dip to 0.8. So, if I want to keep these monos, a more benign load and dynamic cone speakers looks like the go.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
Guest jakeyb77

Just reviving this as I purchased these off @Winno. Did you replace the resistors mate? 
If not @georgehifi can you let me know what you think would be a good idea or if changing them is necessary as I respect your opinion. 
cheers Jake 

Nope. 
the amps have performed flawlessly for me so felt no need to change anything in them or have them assessed by a tech. 

im sure you’ll enjoy them Jake. I know I sure did. 
thanks for your purchase 

Edited by Winno

Guest jakeyb77
35 minutes ago, Winno said:

Nope. 
the amps have performed flawlessly for me so felt no need to change anything in them or have them assessed by a tech. 

im sure you’ll enjoy them Jake. I know I sure did. 
thanks for your purchase 

Haha I know I will. Just like me to start planning even before they arrive ?

• 2 weeks later...

Guest jakeyb77
1 minute ago, initforthemusic said:

Hi jakey. Hope this is helpful. IME the Benchmarks require very careful matching with Pre-Amp. By the way what Speakers are you going to use?

There is a few pre amps coming for trial. Electrocompaniet 4.7 will be the first. JBL 4435.

The Benchmarks are getting a full recap. Please see my showcase thread for info. 
If you know the bias/offset settings would be great. Cheers 

7B80D052-D883-46DD-AB28-DCDB5179A2A0.jpeg

Had a quick look. You are spot on re. warm-up, my upgraded Plexus takes around 4 hours to hit the sweet spot. This is on every occasion. I've never experienced this with any other Power Amps which usually only take 15 mins. to one hour at the most. Why, I have no idea.

My experience with the Plexus is it need's a high quality Tube Pre-Amp to sound it's best. I have a pretty revealing Solid State Pre. in my Collection and matched with the Plexus sounds Awful.

Guest jakeyb77
Just now, initforthemusic said:

Had a quick look. You are spot on re. warm-up, my upgraded Plexus takes around 4 hours to hit the sweet spot. This is on every occasion. I've never experienced this with any other Power Amps which usually only take 15 mins. to one hour at the most. Why, I have no idea.

My experience with the Plexus is it need's a high quality Tube Pre-Amp to sound it's best. I have a pretty revealing Solid State Pre. in my Collection and matched with the Plexus sounds Awful.

Interesting. That puts me at ease as when I first turn them on I think what have I done. Then after about an hour they sound sweet as and just get better. 
The capping is more for longevity as I plan to keep them. 
The EC pre amp is said to be “tube like”. But I may seek a tube pre to try out. 
Thanks so much for the info. ?

2 minutes ago, jakeyb77 said:

Interesting. That puts me at ease as when I first turn them on I think what have I done. Then after about an hour they sound sweet as and just get better. 
Thanks so much for the info. ?

Yep. Spot on, take an hour or so to start sounding ok. I put the Benchmark in about 6 hours ago, it is now sounding absolutely gorgeous, it almost transforms into a different Amp. Sort of would like to know why? As stated I've never experienced this with any other Power Amps.

My experience with warm up on these amps was the same. 

They sounded much nicer after a few hours on. They stayed on all the time in the end (except for when we went away o'seas or during our Qld storms).

11 hours ago, kab said:

My Symfonia Opus 10 takes at least an hour to come up to song.

Sounds great with tube preamp as well.

Ahh! One of Vince Testa's creations. Heard one of the Symfonias many years ago. Sweet Sounding Amp. must be something about Melbourne designed & made Amps with this long warm-up to beautiful Sweet Sound.

What's Vince doing these days?

23 minutes ago, initforthemusic said:

Ahh! One of Vince Testa's creations. Heard one of the Symfonias many years ago. Sweet Sounding Amp. must be something about Melbourne designed & made Amps with this long warm-up to beautiful Sweet Sound.

What's Vince doing these days?

Last i heard he was beekeeping.

Guest jakeyb77
11 hours ago, kab said:

My Symfonia Opus 10 takes at least an hour to come up to song.

Sounds great with tube preamp as well.

Too scared to take up your offer to hear this amp as I’ll probably want to buy it! ?

Thanks so much for the info. [emoji106]

would have loved to hear these monos with my (now sold) benchmark pre.
i had the A200 power amp and it went well with diy pass B1 buffer for volume control.

Well, I've had the Upgraded Benchmark Plexus hooked up to my Revel Ultima Studios for a little while now. Have to say sounding very nice indeed. At the moment I have the Doge 8 Pre. running into it. Now I've been a bit critical of the Doge 8, in most of my set-ups it has sounded a bit too forward, a touch harsh and has become fatiguing. Now my take why the Pairing of Doge 8 & Benchmark Plexus works is the Benchmark Plexus has a Laid Back, Relaxed, Refined Presentation, although not lacking in Dynamics. It's presentation controls the Doge 8's over exuberance. Also the Doge 8 gives the Benchmark a little kick in the Pants it needs. With the Upgrades, which opened up and cleared a bit of "crunch" in the Midrange and improved Dimensionality etc. this Amp is deserving of Pairing with High Class Speakers such as Revels, Wilson's, System Audio Pandions and the like. Gee, after the unusually long warm up have to say it's the "Sweetest Sounding" Solid State Amp I've heard.

So the Doge 8 Pairs well. Audio Research also and the sublime Vincent SA-T8 with upgraded Tubes & Caps also match well.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1