Sign in to follow this  
jakeyb77

Sony Vs JVC advice

Ok... have an insurance payout coming to replace a Sony projector. Two models in contention are Sony VPL-HW65ES or the JVC DLA-X7000. 

Which is your choice and why? 

To be honest I'm not going to start purchasing a whole bunch of 4K media if that helps. 

Anyway leaning toward the Sony for now but keen to hear your views. Cheers 

I personally wouldnt go near the 65. unless picking one up for peanuts or something. And even then I'd just grab something like the older jvc x35 which will kill it in my opinion.

what lets the sonys down is the optics, black capability and then there are other things like its panels that degrade.

theres no contest in my opinion comparing a jvc x7000 to a 65. if wanting to compare a jvc to it something like the x35 is more in line. should pick one up for $2-$2.5k with under 1000 hours and will be a solid machine that will go many years :) it would be a good choice if not wanting or have any interest in 4k etc.

if 4k etc then no contest go a x7000 the sony options are 1.5-2x in price and dont yield anything worth paying for ! 

Just now, :) al said:

I personally wouldnt go near the 65. unless picking one up for peanuts or something. And even then I'd just grab something like the older jvc x35 which will kill it in my opinion.

what lets the sonys down is the optics, black capability and then there are other things like its panels that degrade.

theres no contest in my opinion comparing a jvc x7000 to a 65. if wanting to compare a jvc to it something like the x35 is more in line. should pick one up for $2-$2.5k with under 1000 hours and will be a solid machine that will go many years :) it would be a good choice if not wanting or have any interest in 4k etc.

if 4k etc then no contest go a x7000 the sony options are 1.5-2x in price and dont yield anything worth paying for ! 

Haha was just reading your JVC post Al and kinda new this would be your response. I think I priced both around $5999 that's the only reason. Have read very good things with the Sony it also regarding the inbuilt 3D transmitter and also the wireless HDMI. But your opinion is great and real world and I'm being slowly dragged to the JVC. The only issue which you might be able to help with is that the "expert" reviews on the JVC have a negative slant. Such as not native 4K or other things I don't really get. But maybe that's just nit picking from them. Also Sony is brighter and has extra bulb and last 2000 hours longer. But the Sony seems older style and limited whereas the JVC seems more future proof. Not knowing a great deal am I gonna be happy with the JVC out of the box? Also how much am I looking to add the 3D with 3 glasses? 

there is not a in a billion years would I pay $6k for a sony 65es thats just highway robbery ! its probably worth a 1/3rd that I certainly wouldnt pay more than $2k for one honestly.

even the current model sony's I kid you not are way over priced talking 1.5x-2x than the jvccs and really dont bring anything more. yes the ivc's while have a full 4k path and with latest hdmi etc, they are in reality more like 3k. But while yes people will tell you the upper model sonys are 4k native their optics let them down and in side by side testing people have done with jvc and reported on there is nothing in it. the other issue with the sonys is they have this processing that cant be bypassed they call it reality creation and even on lowest setting its actually detrimental to the image. people have sold their $25k sonys to move across to the jvc x7000/9000

out of box will have to do very little to be VERY happy !  3D is not much as a kit if buy along with the projector. am not sure who you are buying from but oztheatre in QLD is probably hard to beat or locally cleff hifi. there might be better deals out there but these guys are solid and dependable and jvc after sales is stellar through them. big picture people might be another to try on jvc.

ps have got kids home with school holidays at present but if want to see what the jvc is all about in a homely setting welcome to swing buy at some stage.

Awesome! Thanks mate. Will hunt down the JVC when the payout comes. At least I know I can pick your brain on it too! Haha.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated 

Good pricing on JVC at RIO Sound & Vision at the moment

Just be aware   that NEW JVC,s are about to be released.... I am upgrading from my X7000 to the new X9500, so my X7000 will be available if interested.. 

Edited by wooferocau

15 minutes ago, wooferocau said:

Just be aware   that NEW JVC,s are about to be released.... I am upgrading from my X7000 to the new X9500, so my X7000 will be available if interested.. 

Now that would coincide with my WTB ad. Currently the X7000 is available at $6000 new. Can you PM me your info such as price and hours on lamp etc. cheers Jake 

Bwtween the 2 examples you site I agree with Al  and say the JVC X7000 or if you can swing it look at the newer X7500 with the improved HDR detection capabilities-

http://cine4home.de/heute-bei-uns-die-ersten-wahrheiten-ueber-den-jvc-dla-x5500-x7500/

The only thing that concerns me with the JVC's beside the 12 seconds HDMI sync times when changing inputs, is the bright corners in a black image mentioned in the review.  
How prevalent that is during real world watching (if at all) maybe an owner could answer.

Either way I would recommend seeing any projector in action before purchasing one.

Spizz, the HDR detection is nothing ... its just saves you hitting a button or not...

synch times are definitely slooooow. 12sec ? its more like 17sec ! the update doesn't do anything about that.

in use ...its just in booting a disc or media loading might miss a few seconds as syncs. can always hit the rewind button or restart at beginning of a chapter. get used to it. but does bug some am sure :) 

really the updated jvc you want for gaming lag which is much improved if dont need that grab the current range at a discount on run out :)

Thanks Al.  Can you comment on the bright corners Ekki mentioned in the review?  Do you notice that on the X7000?

I'm tempted to grab a X7500 and use that as an interim solution.

56 minutes ago, Spizz said:

Thanks Al.  Can you comment on the bright corners Ekki mentioned in the review?  Do you notice that on the X7000?

I'm tempted to grab a X7500 and use that as an interim solution.

spizz. bright corners go as far back as can remember. i remember seeing them first on a sony lcos was it 10 plus years ago ...was one of the first blu-ray projectors, only saw it when pointed out to me !  its the nature of it. but pretty mild in my opinion ! the JVCs do wonderfull fade to blacks in case wondering ... even in my very non dedicated room lounge room setting.

interim solution ? :D its pretty much end game for most. I honestly would just grab a 7000 if can find one on run out too. unless chasing for gaming as really that is the only difference.

39 minutes ago, :) al said:

spizz. bright corners go as far back as can remember. i remember seeing them first on a sony lcos was it 10 plus years ago ...was one of the first blu-ray projectors, only saw it when pointed out to me !  its the nature of it. but pretty mild in my opinion ! the JVCs do wonderfull fade to blacks in case wondering ... even in my very non dedicated room lounge room setting.

interim solution ? :D its pretty much end game for most. I honestly would just grab a 7000 if can find one on run out too. unless chasing for gaming as really that is the only difference.

I will have the X9500 next week, so will be able to compare to the X7000 and see just how much of an improvement there actually is..:)

1 hour ago, wooferocau said:

I will have the X9500 next week, so will be able to compare to the X7000 and see just how much of an improvement there actually is..:)

So you are getting one ! congrats on the upgrade :thumb:

Bwtween the 2 examples you site I agree with Al  and say the JVC X7000 or if you can swing it look at the newer X7500 with the improved HDR detection capabilities-

http://cine4home.de/heute-bei-uns-die-ersten-wahrheiten-ueber-den-jvc-dla-x5500-x7500/

The only thing that concerns me with the JVC's beside the 12 seconds HDMI sync times when changing inputs, is the bright corners in a black image mentioned in the review.  
How prevalent that is during real world watching (if at all) maybe an owner could answer.

Either way I would recommend seeing any projector in action before purchasing one.

I know what you mean with the bright spots but its only noticeable when projecting on painted white walls. Most will spill onto the velvet black frame on a projection screen and your front wall shouldnt be light anyways. Also never had an issue with it. So I think you shouldnt worry about it.

Here is my x7000 onto naked plaster
412dba600142ed9db909564c6823b1fb.jpg
cf1d9ec548a2db1fd731569028805834.jpg

anyone using the JVC for gaming with a PS4? wondering how that looks

2 hours ago, abadran said:

anyone using the JVC for gaming with a PS4? wondering how that looks

if you buy the current jvc 5200 it comes with a gaming mode.

though its not something can be used for anything else as believe it impacts on a few aspects picture wise for other material :)

hmmm, i would assume most of these high end projectors should be good enough for gaming, i assume the main requirement would be high refresh 120hz and over

hmmm, i would assume most of these high end projectors should be good enough for gaming, i assume the main requirement would be high refresh 120hz and over

I've heard of a lot of issues with projectors and gaming with regards to input lag.

You would also want something with exceptional contrast, particularly for any games that may transition/be set during the night time with lots of dark scenes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, abadran said:

abadran, I used to do some gaming with last two projectors I had in an epson and the jvc x35 and no problems with gaming with those. however things like extreme high contrast rates of projectors like jvc mean they arent the very highest in gaming input lag. however while my previous jvc was fine with car racing and first person probably not to the umpteenth standard of the hard core gamers.

quite frankly I cant see the sense in chewing up bulbs for gaming, can spend hours on end ! a better choice for that might be to buy a cheap $1000 benq or like, plenty of output, cheap bulbs and just keep turning over. some people do run twin projectors for that reason. $1k one for gaming the $5k one for movies and other things. 

Ok will keep that in mind. Was hoping someone was using it currently and not having any issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldnt buy a sony at the moment. Lamps are expensive in both brands/models. Epson 5040ub is cheap for bulbs and good with gaming.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

That's a good idea. Are the bulbs that expensive ? And how long do they last?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sony runs a Phillips bulb. You can get the genuine bulb in a generic casing for about $130 delivered. Bought one last month.