Sign in to follow this  
Bilbo

Laptop Replacement - SOtM SMS-200 Impressions

I ran a forced update of V4.56 as recommended by May @ SOtM and it has solved the reboot issue.  I now get the dialogue box for a reboot and it works fine.

The forced update has not however stopped the flashing activity light problem unfortunately.

Currently using MPD on my Ultra, because it delivers superior AQ. 

Doing some investigations on using Upnp (not DLNA which is same app as MPD). Does using Minimserver and BubbleUpnp on the SMS-200 (& Ultra) deliver similar AQ improvements, say compared with another Upnp app on a laptop or NAS?

Question: should switching from powerline ethernet to an Apple Airport Express yield any benefit? Fairly specific question, I know.

I’m getting an Ultra with the switch mod.

Posted (edited)

It is rumoured that another firmware v4.7 will soon be available.

I hope it fixes the flashing light problem!

Edited by Bilbo

Version 4.57 has been released.

I have done the update and it seems to be good (for MPD).

It doesn’t take long and I think they have addressed the flashing light problem as well.  I’ll check it out a bit more tomorrow but so far so good.

Hi Bill when you update Eunhasu using the micro SD card, what file format do you use ?
I can’t get it work with FAT32 or EXFAT. The utility program attempts to transfer the update file into the card but then says the card needs to be reformatted.

I’ve been trying to update to 4.22.
I notice that you’ve updated to 4.59. I wasn’t sure why three such a pick step up in the versions available on the sotm website.

On 17/01/2017 at 1:01 PM, mattjtaylor2809 said:

Hi Guys,

Apologies, I've just bought a PS Audio DirectStream Jnr which has their BridgeII integrated into this DAC & you connect up via an Ethernet cable, not USB.

Its Roon ready & apart from lots of noise on my network (about to trial an optical music converter) it works well & is from all reports better SQ that USB.

I am thinking of going down the NAS route but just wanted to better understand this product & whether it could offer advantages over a NAS &/or my Aries Mini setup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try a linear (s) power supplies on anything that connects to your network that includes bridges , modems etc Nas 

I did it!!!
I got my music library remounted.
I can know blissfully enjoy 39797 tracks at my leisure.
Thanks Snoopy for your guidance. I couldn’t have done it without your help.

As a first timer upgrading sotm software via micro SD card, I’ve learned a bit. Here’s my tips for others in the same situation :

1. Use 16GB micro SD card ( the sotm file is over 7GB and approx 90% of the stated storage capacity is available to utilise

2. If using Windows to burn the disc image file then know that it will work but you will get error messages telling you that you need to reformat and the file system is not recognised. This because the file is in linux os and not readable by Windows and Windows will prompt you to overwrite it.
Insert the SD card into the sotm and it should boot up. Go to upgrade screen to confirm the upgrade is in effect.

3. The default file format FAT32 seems to be fine to use to burn the disc image file even though the file size exceeds 4GB.

4. Rescan the library to ensure all files are present and accessible. I use LMS set up page to do this.

Now to send some music to my ears..........

1 hour ago, Jon Snow said:

I did it!!!
I got my music library remounted.
I can know blissfully enjoy 39797 tracks at my leisure.
Thanks Snoopy for your guidance. I couldn’t have done it without your help.

As a first timer upgrading sotm software via micro SD card, I’ve learned a bit. Here’s my tips for others in the same situation :

Unfortunately, it can get complicated when troubleshooting the SMS-200 and requires knowledge and some hands on work...   

Good to hear it is now working.  👍