Jump to content

Bilbo

Laptop Replacement - SOtM SMS-200 Impressions

Recommended Posts

51 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

This is your not-Apple help desk again! :P

Still no luck sharing your Macbook external hard drive!  Can you see the shared drive from a Win/Linux PC?  SMS-2000 is a Linux box.

 

I would be surprised if LMS/Squeezelite is superior in SQ to Roon.  Everything I have read about Roon (yet to trial) is that it has better SQ than most players.

 

Have a look at this post on my MPD setup:

MPD is lightweight and best described as "basic". Superb SQ but no tagging, every client manages artwork and playlist differently.  Using MPDroid on Android phone and Gmpc on Win10.   @Bilbo uses Soundirok on the iPhone.   Not sure what is available on MacBook, maybe Bilbo knows?

i get better advice on here than the apple help desk, they were no help at all!

ive asked the question to sotm directly so wait and see...

 

cheers for the info  :thumb:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

This is your not-Apple help desk again! :P

Still no luck sharing your Macbook external hard drive!  Can you see the shared drive from a Win/Linux PC?  SMS-2000 is a Linux box.

 

I would be surprised if LMS/Squeezelite is superior in SQ to Roon.  Everything I have read about Roon (yet to trial) is that it has better SQ than most players.

 

Have a look at this post on my MPD setup:

MPD is lightweight and best described as "basic". Superb SQ but no tagging, every client manages artwork and playlist differently.  Using MPDroid on Android phone and Gmpc on Win10.   @Bilbo uses Soundirok on the iPhone.   Not sure what is available on MacBook, maybe Bilbo knows?

What’s a MacBook??  :ohmy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unlike some on this thread, I do not like using USB in on the sMS200. It was designed specifically as a Ethernet to USB converter. The Sonare microrendu does not offer USB in. SOtM suggest that SQ is higher with music streamed from off board.

But that is just me.

Muzznuts, have you got

Logitech Media Server on your Mac??? You talk of jriver and I am confused. LMS talks to Squeezelite on the 200 via Ethernet.

I use Windows, but LMS libray will find any hard drive plugged into the computer the LMS is installed on. For testing, LMS can bring up "Web Control" on the host computer and play stuff. If that all works, remote control on tablets or phones is much better obviously.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, smiledon said:

Unlike some on this thread, I do not like using USB in on the sMS200. It was designed specifically as a Ethernet to USB converter. The Sonare microrendu does not offer USB in. SOtM suggest that SQ is higher with music streamed from off board.

But that is just me.

Muzznuts, have you got

Logitech Media Server on your Mac??? You talk of jriver and I am confused. LMS talks to Squeezelite on the 200 via Ethernet.

I use Windows, but LMS libray will find any hard drive plugged into the computer the LMS is installed on. For testing, LMS can bring up "Web Control" on the host computer and play stuff. If that all works, remote control on tablets or phones is much better obviously.

Hi,

yes i use LMS directly from eunhasu when you choose the squeezlite option

LMS just doesn't seem to recognise the hard drive until its plugged directly into the sms-200, but as you said that kind of defeats the purpose

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the same problem trying to use MPD. I can only see the 3 sample files on the 200, until I plug the hdd into the back of the 200, then they are found. I cannot get any external path to be seen.

 

That experience makes me believe it is wrong when you say

LMS just doesn't seem to recognise the hard drive until its plugged directly into the sms-200,

 

I think it is Squeezlite in eunhasu that is seeing your drive, not LMS.

Try this.

Ignore the sMS200 for now. Do not try to listen.

Working only on your Mac, run Logitech Media Server, log into your mysqueezebox.com account, go to the LMS library tab and try to find your hard drive, plugged into the Mac.

If and when you succeed, scan the library into LMS and use the web control part of LMS to stream a tune to Squeezelite on the 200.

 

In short, the music on the hard drive has to be scanned into LMS. Squeezlite is purly passive and just listens to LMS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, smiledon said:

I have the same problem trying to use MPD. I can only see the 3 sample files on the 200, until I plug the hdd into the back of the 200, then they are found. I cannot get any external path to be seen.

I assume you have defined the library in Eunhasu.  System Setup, Library Config, enter details, Save & Use, Sync & Save changes.image.png.573a30c978b01bcb39050f53ec96f252.png

 

And after adding a new library, you will have to restart MPD (one of its shortcomings!).  And also, on the client either refresh the database or restart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, smiledon said:

I have the same problem trying to use MPD. I can only see the 3 sample files on the 200, until I plug the hdd into the back of the 200, then they are found. I cannot get any external path to be seen.

 

That experience makes me believe it is wrong when you say

LMS just doesn't seem to recognise the hard drive until its plugged directly into the sms-200,

 

I think it is Squeezlite in eunhasu that is seeing your drive, not LMS.

Try this.

Ignore the sMS200 for now. Do not try to listen.

Working only on your Mac, run Logitech Media Server, log into your mysqueezebox.com account, go to the LMS library tab and try to find your hard drive, plugged into the Mac.

If and when you succeed, scan the library into LMS and use the web control part of LMS to stream a tune to Squeezelite on the 200.

 

In short, the music on the hard drive has to be scanned into LMS. Squeezlite is purly passive and just listens to LMS.

yes i get the sample tracks as well

cheers, ill give that a go

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, muznuts said:

Hi,

yes i use LMS directly from eunhasu when you choose the squeezlite option

LMS just doesn't seem to recognise the hard drive until its plugged directly into the sms-200, but as you said that kind of defeats the purpose

 

I don't think you should be activating LMS on the sMS-200. If you want to use a library on a hard drive connected to your Mac, then you should have LMS running on your Mac and only Squeezelite running on your sMS-200. 

 

I think you are trying to point the sMS-200's LMS to your library (via network), when you should be interfacing with your Mac's LMS and pointing it to the library (which is locally connected to Mac LMS by USB drive and not via network).

 

Do you have LMS installed on your Mac?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, JDWest said:

I don't think you should be activating LMS on the sMS-200. If you want to use a library on a hard drive connected to your Mac, then you should have LMS running on your Mac and only Squeezelite running on your sMS-200. 

 

I think you are trying to point the sMS-200's LMS to your library (via network), when you should be interfacing with your Mac's LMS and pointing it to the library (which is locally connected to Mac LMS by USB drive and not via network).

 

Do you have LMS installed on your Mac?

thanks JDWest, good suggestion, i will try it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, muznuts said:

thanks JDWest, good suggestion, i will try it

I just tried it using a USB stick containing music plugged into my MacBookPro that is network connected to a sMS-200. Got it working so let me know if you have any issues and I'll help.

 

On MBP--System Preferences--Logitech Media Server...

Status--start server if not already running

Library--Media Folders; click "+" underneath to browse to your USB drive. Can click "Browse" for Playlist folder to do the same.

Advanced--Advanced settings; takes you to LMS settings via web browser. Here you might want to adjust things. In the Player tab (if your SMS-200 is on and connected), you'll be able to select it as a player. From there, I personally select audio from the drop down menu and set the volume control to fixed at 100% (caution; that's because I use preamp volume & don't want software volume control). I have the DSDplayer plug in installed so that also appears on the dropdown menu, where I enable DoP for my DSD files.

 

You can also set the library folder from that same browser interface.

From the Advanced tab within System Preferences--LMS you can also click Web Remote control and use that to control music if you don't use an iPad or similar.

 

Within Eunhasu, I start Squeezelite but NOT LMS. Make sure it stays off; it seemed to auto-start for me when no other LMS was present; that gets confusing.

In Library Config I leave it blank; no network path.

 

With this method, your MBP does all the heavy work of LMS, keeping your sMS-200 lean and clean.

 

Cheers,

John

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, JDWest said:

I just tried it using a USB stick containing music plugged into my MacBookPro that is network connected to a sMS-200. Got it working so let me know if you have any issues and I'll help.

 

On MBP--System Preferences--Logitech Media Server...

Status--start server if not already running

Library--Media Folders; click "+" underneath to browse to your USB drive. Can click "Browse" for Playlist folder to do the same.

Advanced--Advanced settings; takes you to LMS settings via web browser. Here you might want to adjust things. In the Player tab (if your SMS-200 is on and connected), you'll be able to select it as a player. From there, I personally select audio from the drop down menu and set the volume control to fixed at 100% (caution; that's because I use preamp volume & don't want software volume control). I have the DSDplayer plug in installed so that also appears on the dropdown menu, where I enable DoP for my DSD files.

 

You can also set the library folder from that same browser interface.

From the Advanced tab within System Preferences--LMS you can also click Web Remote control and use that to control music if you don't use an iPad or similar.

 

Within Eunhasu, I start Squeezelite but NOT LMS. Make sure it stays off; it seemed to auto-start for me when no other LMS was present; that gets confusing.

In Library Config I leave it blank; no network path.

 

With this method, your MBP does all the heavy work of LMS, keeping your sMS-200 lean and clean.

 

Cheers,

John

 

wow, thanks for this, very much appreciated, wont get a chance to have a play till tomorrow arvo but will let you know how i go  :thumb:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/11/2017 at 9:33 PM, JDWest said:

I just tried it using a USB stick containing music plugged into my MacBookPro that is network connected to a sMS-200. Got it working so let me know if you have any issues and I'll help.

 

On MBP--System Preferences--Logitech Media Server...

Status--start server if not already running

Library--Media Folders; click "+" underneath to browse to your USB drive. Can click "Browse" for Playlist folder to do the same.

Advanced--Advanced settings; takes you to LMS settings via web browser. Here you might want to adjust things. In the Player tab (if your SMS-200 is on and connected), you'll be able to select it as a player. From there, I personally select audio from the drop down menu and set the volume control to fixed at 100% (caution; that's because I use preamp volume & don't want software volume control). I have the DSDplayer plug in installed so that also appears on the dropdown menu, where I enable DoP for my DSD files.

 

You can also set the library folder from that same browser interface.

From the Advanced tab within System Preferences--LMS you can also click Web Remote control and use that to control music if you don't use an iPad or similar.

 

Within Eunhasu, I start Squeezelite but NOT LMS. Make sure it stays off; it seemed to auto-start for me when no other LMS was present; that gets confusing.

In Library Config I leave it blank; no network path.

 

With this method, your MBP does all the heavy work of LMS, keeping your sMS-200 lean and clean.

 

Cheers,

John

 

Success!!

yep that was the trick, download an independent version of LMS, thanks heaps @JDWest 

the eunhasu tab for LMS still doesnt work, i open it using the Web Remote Control tab in System Preferences-Advanced

now that i have it running properly i think the SQ is slightly better than Roon, will play with the setting a bit

thanks again for all the help from everyone

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm interested to try an SMS200 as network streamer connected via Ethernet to my i3 NUC server (windows 10, Fidelizer Pro) with my music library on a NAS. I use JRiver MC as my music player with jremote app on an iPad to control it (DLNA)

 

I'd like to try a 'quieter' source to feed my USB DAC which is a Metrum Musette.

 

The current system with NUC and NAS works really well and I'm aware that adding another device to the playback chain means more to go wrong. Another option would be to fit an LPSU to the NUC of course.

 

Anyone using SMS200 with JRiver who can comment? Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@stuarth when i first started using my 200 unit i used it through jriver but that was only briefly . i found it a lot easier and sounded better to my ears to keep the laptop out of it and use an app to control the 200 .  I use m.a.l.p on an android phone . good program jriver as i was using it alot before i purchased a 200 and still use it to rip cd`s .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, stuarth said:

I'm interested to try an SMS200 as network streamer connected via Ethernet to my i3 NUC server (windows 10, Fidelizer Pro) with my music library on a NAS. I use JRiver MC as my music player with jremote app on an iPad to control it (DLNA)

 

I'd like to try a 'quieter' source to feed my USB DAC which is a Metrum Musette.

 

The current system with NUC and NAS works really well and I'm aware that adding another device to the playback chain means more to go wrong. Another option would be to fit an LPSU to the NUC of course.

 

Anyone using SMS200 with JRiver who can comment? Thanks.

On the SMS-200, you can set up DLNA and continue using JRiver. @jrhill is using this config and may want to offer his thoughts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have now the option of using the jRiver as the source of the music (Toshiba Laptop, Win 10 + Chrome) into the sms-200 via the MSD/DNLA od just using the jRiver as the control when using the sms-200 in Squeezelight - many thanks Snoop for getting this to work

There is a slight difference in the sound, mainly in the slightly heavier bass via the DNLA which is a bit puzzling as the music data is transferred to the router via the Wifi (another extra interface) but not a major concern - the newer version of jRiver (23) does produce some hiccups when organizing the playlist

 

There seems to be 2 areas that the little sms is 'touchy' about -  the usb cable and the power supply - I've progressed to the Curious usb Cables and a china version of the AMB Sigma 11 power supply (similar to the ones made in Qld) for the external 2TB HDD and the TeddyReg for the sms-200 (not much difference in using either or both of these) 

 

I do have the HDD on a separate 'base board' to the sms - again, not a big difference, if any at all - easy to fool yourself with some of these arrangements

 

The one big feature of this liitle gadget is that a bad recording becomes immediately obvious and a good recording is marvelous, particularly if you like lots of small detail and dynamics- headphones are pretty revealing in this regard  

 

I hope this is of some help ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi JDWest,

Don't mind if I ask a question please.

In your post above you mentioned starting Squeezelite only and not LMS from within Eunhasu.  Do pardon my ignorance but how do I go about doing that?

Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks @jrhill and others for their replies. Guess I should take a punt and try one. Just need to think about what power supply to use. Consensus seems to be that the supplied PSU is not up to snuff but I'm not about to put a car battery in my lounge 😁 Lots of useful info on this thread on importance of clean DC power. Great reading even if much is over my head. Thanks again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, stuarth said:

Just need to think about what power supply to use. Consensus seems to be that the supplied PSU is not up to snuff but I'm not about to put a car battery in my lounge 😁 

The supplied usa to oz adapter is a joke, not even stable.  Had good results with Gieseler PSU at 12v.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're not into organizing your own power supplies, those Gieseler units are pretty good and about the mid $300s -

 

The price for you to assemble good quality parts/modules like the China version of the Sigma 11 that a few have used goes something like this - assembled/tested board about A$60, transformer about $40+ for a 80va unit, maybe $30 for a China case, add in another $25 for a good line filter/power inlet and a few hours work - one of the recommended output cables is a 4 conductor Belden, but not expensive - total is approx $160 plus some hours work.

 

The fully built, tested and guaranteed ones from Qld aren't all that much more expensive in comparison.

 

The fully built and tested Sigma 11 ones from China cost about the mid 300's too, I think - buy local, eh!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ampdac said:

Hi JDWest,

Don't mind if I ask a question please.

In your post above you mentioned starting Squeezelite only and not LMS from within Eunhasu.  Do pardon my ignorance but how do I go about doing that?

Thank you.

Hi ampdac,

After startup, in Eunhasu, when you hover your mouse over the Squeezelite icon, you see a single "play" symbol and hovering over that it shows it will "Start Squeezelite"; you do that. Then when you hover above the Squeezelite icon you'll see a 2nd "play" icon that says "open LMS". Don't click that.

 

I just played around with it all and it looks like the sMS does actually start its LMS program whenever you start Squeezelite. Still, if you plan to use LMS on a separate computer, then avoid clicking the "open LMS" link within Eunhasu as it will only confuse you by taking you to the wrong version of LMS.

 

If you know the IP addresses of your computer (server) and sMS-200, then you can also access the LMS interfaces from your web browser by adding :9000 to the end of that address. 

e.g. if your server running LMS has IP of 192.168.0.3

and your sMS has 192.168.0.4

then type into your browser:

192.168.0.3:9000 to access your server's LMS (on Mac this is same as accessing LMS via system preferences)

If you type:

192.168.0.4:9000 then that will take you to the LMS of your sMS-200 (same as "open LMS" in Eunhasu and not the interface you want if using LMS on separate computer).

 

Hope that helps.

John

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks a million for the very clear explanation JDWest.  I am going to give it a try.

 

BTW, I did also emailed SOtM the same question late last evening.  May of SOtM understood the need to control the Eunhasu LMS server independently of its Squeezelite player.  She will raise a request to include the feature, hopefully, in the up-coming Eunhasu software update.

 

Thanks again for your help.

 

Cheers!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×