Laptop Replacement - SOtM SMS-200 Impressions

Good to hear. I'll get a micro SD card tomorrow and try the 4.51 OS. I use Roon so hopefully that stuttering problem is only on Squeezelite.

Yes I've thought about trying Snakeoil OS on the sMS-200. Never really had the time though.

I can't see it would damage the unit so Agent Kith is probably un-necessarily concerned. You can always go back to the SoTM OS anyway. I think I'll give it a whirl when I get time.

I used 4.5 for about 8 - 10 hours, no stuttering on MPD. (Am currently away and unit loaned out).

For major updates, and this was my second one, the microSD method is definitely the way to go.  Online way will work only if you are not in a hurry and prepared to wait many hours for apparent no activity..

8 minutes ago, a.dent said:

Good to hear. I'll get a micro SD card tomorrow and try the 4.51 OS. I use Roon so hopefully that stuttering problem is only on Squeezelite.

Yes I've thought about trying Snakeoil OS on the sMS-200. Never really had the time though.

I can't see it would damage the unit so Agent Kith is probably un-necessarily concerned. You can always go back to the SoTM OS anyway. I think I'll give it a whirl when I get time.

i only use MPD. why buy another when you can use the original card?

27 minutes ago, rocl444 said:

i only use MPD. why buy another when you can use the original card?

I suggested it so that you could do a compare, allow you to switch back if problem as well as a backup; the card on my old unit did fail.

17 hours ago, Mike13 said:

Does the new update do much? It says it updates each program to the latest version, but doesn’t say what that does.

SOtM does not publish details of each program. You need to check each program's web site to find version info.

Well 4.51 certainly has some bugs.

I had to increase buffer and resync delay to get Roon to play back without stuttering.

Squeezelite stutters no matter what.

There certainly doesn't seem to be any change in SQ so all-in-all a disappointment.

I hope they release an update that fixes all the bugs.

Until then I'll go back to the old version.

• Like 1

SOtM does not publish details of each program. You need to check each program's web site to find version info.

I’m also seeing stuttering and dropouts with LMS on firmware 0.4.5.
Buffering setting increases only delay the issues by a few minutes but don’t fix LMS pops and dropouts. The issue get worse over time.

I’ve gone back to the earlier pre 0.4.2x version until the firmware is fixed.

9 hours ago, Mike13 said:

I get drop outs on Roon but I’m running the previous version. @a.dent do you change the buffer and resync options in Eunhasu or in Roon?

Eunhasu.

I never had any dropouts with 4.22. Are you upsampling to DSD 512 in Roon?

39 minutes ago, a.dent said:

Eunhasu.

I never had any dropouts with 4.22. Are you upsampling to DSD 512 in Roon?

I upsample to DSD 128 in Roon. I wonder if it is laptop specs? i5-8250U, 16GB ddr4 RAM, 512 GB SSD

• 3 weeks later...

Have upgraded to 4.54, no issues, no stuttering, dropouts with MPD (and previously had no problems with 4.51). 

image.png.5f4cb1e3e4f7d936520786540289112b.png

New version has updated background picture.

The fastest way to upgrade is burn new microSD card image. Process took 30 mins : download image (<10 mins) (std Teltra cable), burn image with usb3 microSD card adaptor (<20 mins) and set up library, player (assuming you have written these down!).

40 minutes ago, rocl444 said:

i just did the upgrade from 4.51 to 4.54 in 5mins. this isn't a big one.

You are also do a kernel update - that is the slow part!

Version : V0.4.53
– Date : 17-1-2019
– Apply the new background image
– Fixed Squeezelite Reset config bug
– Fixed kernel update command error
– Fixed Reset button bug of sMS-200ultra in Kernel
– Change some of Eunhasu user interface

In this update, please do the kernel update seperately.

4 minutes ago, rocl444 said:

there was no 4.53 on the update list for me. i just checked and it says i am up to date. i have 4.54.

You have updated Eunhasu only.  It was suggested in 4.53 change log to do Kernel update.  The Kernel update is a separate button  and upgrades the underlying Linux layer.  

On 24/01/2019 at 4:24 PM, lumholtzii said:

so what are people's thoughts on V0.4.54 ?   

to me, there was quite a reasonable jump in SQ, but since I can't / not rolling back, I won't truly know ....  perhaps its just delusional on my part  

There was supposed to be a jump in SQ in 4.5/  So good you noticed it. ?  I found a slight improvement.

----------------

Another minor 4.55 upgrade

https://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/eunhasu-fw-ver-4-55-is-now-available/

There was supposed to be a jump in SQ in 4.5/  So good you noticed it. [emoji106]  I found a slight improvement.

----------------
Another minor 4.55 upgrade
https://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/eunhasu-fw-ver-4-55-is-now-available/

I actually did a roll back yesterday arvo just of interest. I had the old boot card sitting there. For me there is significant difference with the newer firmware

On 27/01/2019 at 8:30 AM, lumholtzii said:

I actually did a roll back yesterday arvo just of interest. I had the old boot card sitting there. For me there is significant difference with the newer firmware

Care to share your impressions of the differences?

2 hours ago, Bilbo said:

Care to share your impressions of the differences?

Sure. Here goes:

For me 4.5 is much clearer and more transparent across all frequencies.  It's the usual thing of people describing the lift in the veil when introducing a new bit of kit into their system.  It's like that, as if another layer has been removed been you and the music.  And it's very pronounced across several different genres.

There's also a total tonal shift for me:  I found the 4.4 more warm and muddy compared to the 4.5, which is much more neutral.  Initially it seems it's lost some of warmth but'd you'd hardly call the sound dry.  It's a more cool, clear sound, with wider & deeper soundstage than 4.4.   It certainly not at all harsh, very little digital glare.  Bizarrely it  actually feels softer than 4.4, and much more analogue-like . 

The soundstage is also wider and more sparse, yet the sound is more focused, possibly due a  lower noise floor, as well as the different tonal setting / soundstage changes. Maybe not.  I actually don't know why beyond what firmware upgrade indicates, and I  kind of don't care  right at the moment.  This is easily the best digital sound I've got out of my system so far. All from a zero-cost firmware upgrade.  Bargain.   Happy camper !     

Whatever those firmware engineers are doing, it's nice work that pays off in an improved music experience.  I hope they keep doing more improvements like this.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1