Laptop Replacement - SOtM SMS-200 Impressions

Eunhasu version : V0.4.17

– Date : 19-03-2018
– Update squeezelite to 1.8.7
– Update upmpdcli to 1.2.15
– Update Librespot to 1.0.2.8f8eb8c(bug fix)
– Fixed bugs when using Upmpdcli streaming
– Fixed library config page
– Kernel upgrade to 4.4.14-209(Add supported DACs)

• Like 1

On 9/6/2017 at 6:50 PM, smiledon said:

..I used a 12 car battery...things move into a different league.

I am curious as I am looking at buying the sms-200 but can't afford an upgraded power supply.

How do you use a 12v car battery. Is their an adaptor with alligator clips?

12 hours ago, DdDesign said:

Do you know if I use a car battery to power the sms will I be able to use a battery powered usb dac?

I ask because thats the only dac I have and I want to power it from the usb input of the SMS-200.

You can certainly power the sMS-200 (and sMS-200 Ultra 12v version) from a car battery with a suitable connector - I do.

Have a look at the picture at the start of this thread to see how I do it.

As for your DAC - if it uses 5V then you may be able to power the DAC from the Audio USB output (though I am not sure about this).

If not use the battery and a step down regulator to provide the 5V.  

I will measure the USB output to see if it does in fact carry a 5V supply and get back to you.

For the 12V cables you could buy a standard cheap cable connector and cut off one end and then use alligator clips for the battery.

If you want some really great cable connectors have a look at this site on how to DIY.

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/31554-diy-dc-power-cables/

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Bilbo, Smiledon, JDWest, and all,

Just an update and a question or two.  If anyone remembers I posted in Jan that I was having trouble getting SMS-200 to "see" my metrum musette M2Tech usb interface dac.  That riddle was solved by buying a Chord 2Qute DAC, which worked with Logitech Squeezelite option on eunhasu right away.  (Curiously Soundirock would not play with 2Qute.  I read that 2Qute's DOP flavour of DSD is incompatible with MPD, therefore soundirock). 

FYI, the M2Tech USB interface didn't only have trouble with SMS200 didn't work with my Windows7 computer loaded with the Musettes USB drivers from the Metrum site.  Nor did it work with my Mac Mini on high sierra.  The Musette was sent back to point of purchase three days ago.

May I ask has anyone found the GUI is superior using ipeng9 (or other ipengs) than just using eunhasu's logitech squeezelite?  I had a multiple hour battle on the weekend working out how to stop logitech squeezelite from listing/playing each track twice.  I managed to work it out.  It was to do with folders/subfolders.  I couldn't find much help in the forums, but did note people saying the problem gets worse if you make playlists, which I haven't done yet, but want to.  So does iPeng make it all smoother and easier?

With regard to powering the hard drive plugged into the SMS200, at the moment the SSD my music files are on plugs straight into SMS200 so it's parasitic and all/most reports are that that degrades sound quality.  So a few ways I thought of to address this are:

1.  Buy a AQVOX low noise power supply ($165 AUD shipped) to supply my SSD with clean 5V power.

2.  Make a cable where power for the SSD comes from a 10 Ah 5V 3.4A comsol phone battery charger.

3.  Make a cable where power for the SSD comes from a low noise 12V to 5V based on the 7805 chip  https://www.ebay.com/itm/5V-DC-Voltage-Regulator-Module-Board-Based-on-7805-/200943983782 670217739_ScreenShot2018-04-23at11_55_44am.png.e05b52df7c75b4c18babb739884774b1.pngI purchased last year ($10 USD) that is linked to a 12V battery used to power the SMS200.

5.  Buy a HDD dock (<$30 AUD) and then a SATA HDD (a lot more $) that uses a  linear power supply (more $), which is the strategy used by Bilbo and Smiledon. 

With regard to this approach, it occurs to me that the hard drives in the dock probably run on 5V.  So how is the 12V input stepped down to 5V?  Is it a "buck" converter like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-DC-12V-24V-to-5V-5A-Step-Down-Regulator-Module-25W-Voltage-Converter-Meter-/331166257737

104029032_ScreenShot2018-04-23at11_56_54am.png.e72bd024e4918fa0779346544c56fd26.png

If so it may be relatively "noisy". 

Anybody had any experience using a USB drive powered with a low noise source with no dock?  Anyone compared this approach with Bilbo and Smiledon's approach?

With regard to using a 12V battery to supply SMS200, does anyone use a safety fuse close to the battery? 

On the Art of Sound websight "Audio Advent" posted:

"Don't forget to put an in-line fuse when connecting to a battery - it's amazing the current which can be put out by high capacity batteries if they are shorted out accidently. Even small ones can be  tens of amps, some of the medium sized ones into the hundreds of amps.  Put in a fuse less than the current capacity of the wire used and a little above the max current draw of the amp, or in other words make sure the wire you use wouldn't burn out before the fuse would!" 13-08-2015

So if Bilbo measured a 1.7A current draw for the SMS200 this would mean a 2.0A or possibly a 2.5A fuse?  Anyone want to suggest which rating to go for?

Of course Bilbo and many others have noted the influence of the fuse on sound quality and "audiophile" expensive fuses exist.  I am thinking of going with a  Shurter SMD-SPT fuse ($1.68 AUD each at mouser) after a review of 11 fuses gave it a thumbs up http://singaporehifi.blogspot.com.au/2014/01/aftermarket-fuses-synergistic-research.html 
Anybody think another value for money fuse or even a pcb circuit breaker like this from altronics for $6.50 might be better? 1203274304_ScreenShot2018-04-23at12_58_15pm.png.a41b0320d5a5205c95541202d9228bb9.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-23 at 12.42.35 pm.png

On 27/03/2018 at 12:45 AM, DdDesign said:

I am curious as I am looking at buying the sms-200 but can't afford an upgraded power supply.

How do you use a 12v car battery. Is their an adaptor with alligator clips?

I personally think using car battery indoor is just unsightly. I use this 12v battery pack to power my phono step up to great effect https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Portable-1800mAh-12V-Lithium-Super-Rechargeable-Battery-Pack-DC-for-LED-boards/172347266896?hash=item2820b29750:g:IOQAAOSwNRdX33oX 

@Bensoundresearch

With regard to power supplies - I (along with some friends) have tried various methods but found the solution I employ to provide the best sound.

The next best was a 12V 5A supply (referred to in earlier posts) which was better than a similar unit using the same circuit but outputting 3A.
For whatever reason the higher current sounded better.  Hence the battery for the SOtM and the 12V 5A supply for the hard drive caddy.

I was quite surprised that the extra current for the drive caddy made a positive difference. I expected it to sound the same with the 3A version supplying the drive caddy but it was not to be.

As far as Soundirok goes - it has no influence on compatibility with your DAC.  That is totally between the SOtM and the DAC. 

I have to use DOP to play DSD files, however that is because my Auralic Vega DAC does not follow one of the two protocols offered with the SOtM.

MPD will output native DSD to compatible DAC's and a list of these DAC's is here:  https://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/eunhasu_-native-dsd-support/

(The Vega is on the compatibility list however it only works with a hardware/firmware upgrade that was not offered to Aussie owners and is no longer available - grrrrrrr)! ?

In fact the new version of Soundirok is great. The artwork issues have largely been solved and it scrolls rapidly like it used to several versions ago and database updates are much quicker. ?

Edited by Bilbo

14 hours ago, Bilbo said:

I have to use DOP to play DSD files, however that is because my Auralic Vega DAC does not follow one of the two protocols offered with the SOtM.

Have you updated to the latest Eunhasu version?  I had to use DOP last year, but in the versions this year, could use native DSD with the Gieseler Groß DAC. SOtM updated the Linux drivers and that made it possible to run with native DSD. ? 

And native DSD sounded better than DOP!

• Like 1

Hi Mloutfie,

Yes deciding on power supply is a challenge.  I have been gifted two 7.5 Ah SLA batteries small form - not car batteries.  So I will get started with these.  I have been looking into LifePO4 batteries.  Apparently they have comparatively low internal resisistance and a propensity to discharge current quickly, which are just the qualities one wants in a battery.  An Aussie camper compared a car version favourably with an Optima Yellow Top at double the price.  Although charging any lithium battery optimally requires a Ph.D. In electro physics!  And then there is the presumeably low maintainence LPS-1.2 ... at >$600 AUD - Yykes!

Hi Bilbo,

So you don’t use a fuse in line between your battery and SMS-200?  

With regard to Soundirock working (using 2Qute, rather than the Musette), just now it started working...sort of.  It loaded up and played music, but it listed every track twice, which is not good.  It also played just the first song then stopped?  Although I think the sound quality may have been slightly better than with LMS, which I switched over to right away.  At least LMS didn’t list each track twice any more (after I fixed that issue on the weekend).  I wouldn’t know where to start fixing it on Soundirock.  Has this double track listing with LMS or soundirock happened to anyone else?  How did they fix it?

Perhaps I should down load the latest version of Soundirok as you and Snoopy8 suggested.  My version is 2.17.  So I am new to apps.  Should I delete the 2.17 version and pay for the latest?  Or is there a way to update since I already payed for 2.17?  I couldn’t work out how to do that.  I have the most recent update of eunhasu as of two weeks ago.  Thanks for everyone’s help again.

Cheers, Ben

Edited by Bensoundresearch
Little mistakes

5 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

Have you updated to the latest Eunhasu version?  I had to use DOP last year, but in the versions this year, could use native DSD with the Gieseler Groß DAC. SOtM updated the Linux drivers and that made it possible to run with native DSD. ? 

And native DSD sounded better than DOP!

The compatibility list grows with each firmware update so native DSD should be available on more DAC's in the future.

Unfortunately it is a quirk of the Vega that was fixed by a hardware/firmware upgrade but that upgrade was not offered here or in many other parts of the world.

It appears Auralic are only interested in supporting American owners (and a limited number of Europeans) as they had access to the upgrade.

I'm not very happy with Auralic as a result.  Mind you the new model (Vega G2) is available at around US$5,600 and is compatible by all reports. ?

@Bensoundresearch

I don't use a fuse but that is my risk - I think it is safer to insert a fuse.

If you have paid for Soundirok the updates are free.  I recommend you install the latest version.

Then after you are connected to the SOtM run a "Update MPD database". 

Depending on how large your music library is this may take up to 20 minutes so be patient.

Then run "Refresh Soundirok database".  You may have to run this more than once if it doesn't show your whole library.

If the artwork is a problem run "clear local image cache".  Provided you have followed the artwork naming consistent with the Soundirok device settings you shouldn't have a problem.

One other thing that may cause problems is if the "Cover Script URL" is not blank.  Provided your artwork has the same filename in every directory you do not need the script.

I would recommend you persevere with Soundirok as I believe MPD sounds better than LMS from the SOtM SMS-200.  ?

Guest gnnett

I think soundirok has been updating automatically as 2.17 is identified as the latest version, issued 1week ago, on their web site.

Thanks Gnnett,

Yes.  I only just worked out Soundirok has been updating all along.  Nevertheless, a problem, as of this morning for the first time ever Soundirok is listing each song in an album twice.  Strange as this was what LMS was doing on Sunday.

Thanks Bilbo, I have tried or looked at some of the suggestions You made, e.g. update mpd database (don’t think it took to long. I only have two albums on my samsung ssd now, having deleted six or so others in an effort to simplify and get it all working).

I updated eunhasu.  I refreshed Soundirok database and cleared local image cache and checke local cover script URL, which was light grey with no ability to change.  I also disabled image cache to free up disk space.  But alas still each album track is listed twice.  Anyone know what’s with that?  Or had that problem? Or the problem of only the first track being played?  

From the one song I heard this morning on Soundirok, I do think it sounded better than LMS.  But how does one get it working?

Cheers for everyone’s help,

Ben

3 hours ago, Bensoundresearch said:

Thanks Gnnett,

Yes.  I only just worked out Soundirok has been updating all along.  Nevertheless, a problem, as of this morning for the first time ever Soundirok is listing each song in an album twice.  Strange as this was what LMS was doing on Sunday.

Thanks Bilbo, I have tried or looked at some of the suggestions You made, e.g. update mpd database (don’t think it took to long. I only have two albums on my samsung ssd now, having deleted six or so others in an effort to simplify and get it all working).

I updated eunhasu.  I refreshed Soundirok database and cleared local image cache and checke local cover script URL, which was light grey with no ability to change.  I also disabled image cache to free up disk space.  But alas still each album track is listed twice.  Anyone know what’s with that?  Or had that problem? Or the problem of only the first track being played?  

From the one song I heard this morning on Soundirok, I do think it sounded better than LMS.  But how does one get it working?

Cheers for everyone’s help,

Ben

I came across this problem some time ago and it was because I had specified the location of the hard drive in Eunhasu.

In "Library config" the Network library config settings for "Name" and "Path" should be blank (or grayed out). "Automatic USB disk mount" should be selected. (I also select "Share folder).  In my case I had specified a name and path as well as selecting the auto disk mount.  The SMS-200 thought I had two libraries as a result and displayed a double listing in Soundirok for all my albums.

Edited by Bilbo
Correction

Hi Bilbo and others,

Thanks for your help.  Last night I went to the Library config page in eunhasu and tried every permutation I could think of and then refreshed soundirok database, update MPD data base, and cleared local image cache.  Still the double track listing issue persisted.  The Network library config was "greyed out".  I am really not sure what the problem is?  Here is a screenshot of the latest configuration I tried, but I have tried every other confiuration I could think of with no joy.

image.thumb.png.3dd429c7c4370f6667cf222cff7ad08c.png

It occured to me that dbpoweramp may have upgraded and the CDs I ripped recently now have different metadata taging.  I did read in a blog from Chris Hermansen wrote called "

Musical tips for working with MPDroid and an Archpile-based box"

that:

" MPDroid seems to struggle with Album tags that contain a hyphen, showing two directories with the part before and the part after the hyphen as names for each directory; consider replacing any hyphen in the Album tag with a colon, a space, or an underscore." https://opensource.com/life/16/11/getting-mpdroid-working-archphile-based-box

How can I find out if my tags have hyphens?

I am considering downloading MP3TAG as it is one of the few tag editing programs that supports WAV files, which is how I have been ripping with dBpoweramp.  Although being free software, I am a little reluctant for fear of malwares etc.

Do you think this is good direction to go?  I could hold off, email Daniel, the Soundirok guy and wait for his reply? 

Did you use dBpoweramp to rip your CDs?  Would another ripping program be the way to go?

Thanks again,

Ben

@Bensoundresearch

As you can tell from the time tag on my last post I was fiddling around late last night with the "Sync mount mode".  Strangely after changing the setting and doing a reboot,  running the Soundirok MPD database update and Refresh database I ended up with duplicate track listings!!!!!!!!!

I then spent considerable time into the early hours much like you trying to sort out what the hell happened.

Well with a fresh head this morning, this is what I discovered.

The problem is not with Soundirok.

It is caused by some routine in Eunhasu that creates a duplicate music folder for some reason that is linked to syncing the hard drive.

When I looked at the SMS-200 from my office PC, this is the folder structure that was displayed.

526491485_ExtraFolder_1.JPG.2db28cbbf69efa7f7ab4a9870b18fb28.JPG

The folder "EUNHASU/mwdata/music/misc" should not be there and you can see another sub folder "usb1".

This is why Soundirok sees two of each file because there is a copy of the files on the SMS-200's storage as well as the attached hard drive "USB1".

I solved it by shutting down the SMS-200 and switching off the hard drive caddy.

IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO REMOVE YOUR ATTACHED DRIVE TO AVOID DATA LOSS (like I did, but that's another story).

I then restarted the SMS-200 and let it settle after booting. I then selected "Sync mount mode" in Eunhasu hit "Save & Sync" and let it finish.

I again restarted the SMS-200 and let it settle after booting.  From my office PC I looked at the EUNHASU folder on the network.

I then deleted the "misc" folder. (Take note of how the  "usb1"  subfolder is not detected now).

959581285_ExtraFolder_2s.JPG.2fc73395815c68da32f11c9f27100cc8.JPG

I then shut down the SMS-200 again, switched on the drive caddy and started the SMS-200 and let it settle after booting.

From my office PC this is how it looked under the EUNHASU folder on the network.  (I had already deleted the "demo" folder that comes with a new unit).

715143875_ExtraFolder_3.JPG.a8723b1d9b478b3ee99d9f0c39325a56.JPG

I then ran the Soundirok MPD database update and Refresh database and hey presto - I no longer had duplicate track listings!!!

When you consider that in the setup for Soundirok the path specified for the library is "http://192.XXX.XXX.XXX/music/"  any files in subfolders after "music/" are included in the Soundirok library.  Hence the duplicate track list.

I have no idea why the SMS-200/EUNHASU writes this extra folder onto it's own storage but it seems to have something to do with selecting/deselecting the "Sync mount mode" in Eunhasu.  I hope my experience provides a solution for you as I know how frustrating it can be when these glitches occur.  

However everythings working fine again and I am enjoying the new facility for "Continuous Play" in Soundirok. ?

Edited by Bilbo
  • Thanks 1

Just ripped another album with dBpoweramp and removed the only hyphen in "naming" / meta tags.  There was a hyphen just before [title] and just after [artist].  And still soundirok lists double tracks and only plays the first song.  Grrrr.

Any ideas?

Oh.  Hold on just read your post after I wrote above.  What you found is what I found with LMS, where it is easier to get in a see the folders.  What I did is tell LMS / eunhasu (whatever) to only use the "misc" folder and that got rid of the duplicates.  I will have a good look at your post and try and figure out what you did and keep you posted.  Thanks for you efforts!

4 hours ago, Bensoundresearch said:

I am considering downloading MP3TAG as it is one of the few tag editing programs that supports WAV files, which is how I have been ripping with dBpoweramp.  Although being free software, I am a little reluctant for fear of malwares etc.

Did you use dBpoweramp to rip your CDs?  Would another ripping program be the way to go?

MP3Tag is a good tool and if you download it from a reputable site, it should not have malware.  I continue to use Foobar2000 for tagging, used to be my player until the SMS-200 came along!

I recommend Exact Audio Copy (free) to do the ripping, no issues with tags produced.

Edited by Snoopy8
Typos

3 hours ago, Bilbo said:

When I looked at the SMS-200 from my office PC

Hi Bilbo,

First things first I don't know how to look at SMS-200 from my PC.  I just tried with my Windows10 surface pro and got this message:

"Hi, this is the default upmpdcli presentation page and it is not very interesting.

You can substitute another one by setting the presentationhtml parameter inside the configuration file, but in any case this can only be a static help page, it is only read when upmpdcli starts up."

Are you able to give me any tips as to how to get into SMS-200 from your PC like you did?  I might point out that as I mentioned earlier, the list of folders you saw looked familiar because I had seen them when using LMS on Eunhasu, but I don't know yet how to get to them from my PC the  way you did.  If Window10 is the problem, I have Windows7 and High Sierra on my Mac Mini.

I use Windows 7 but you should be able to see the folders in MS Explorer. The pics above are just screen shots of the folders expanded in MS Explorer.

You should be able to see the SMS-200 (the EUNHASU folder) if it's on the same network.

I haven't got a Win 10 machine to offer advice unfortunately.

2 hours ago, Bensoundresearch said:

Are you able to give me any tips as to how to get into SMS-200 from your PC like you did?  I might point out that as I mentioned earlier, the list of folders you saw looked familiar because I had seen them when using LMS on Eunhasu, but I don't know yet how to get to them from my PC the  way you did.  If Window10 is the problem, I have Windows7 and High Sierra on my Mac Mini.

On Win10, Control Panel, Network & sharing centre, advanced sharing settings,  ensure that network discovery is on

image.png.0ca675c87777a6f7b84cdebb8608dbb7.png

You should be able to see the Eunhasu folder structure (not using usb drive, library on a NAS, can still see sample folder that came with unit)

image.png.bbeb4f92a9af1fc37d1e0bf55bb7d678.png

Hi Snoopy8,

Got your message before I started up Windos7 machine, so trying on Windows10 surface pro.  The network discovery was already on as was automatic setup of network connected devices as in the screenshot you provided.  But when I go to network and click on sMS-200-USB as seen below:

image.thumb.png.7434e3814630cffcab73935965e7273b.png

I get the following message:

"Hi, this is the default upmpdcli presentation page and it is not very interesting.

You can substitute another one by setting the presentationhtml parameter inside the configuration file, but in any case this can only be a static help page, it is only read when upmpdcli starts up."

Am I missing something?

Cheers,

Ben

4 minutes ago, Bensoundresearch said:

Hi Snoopy8,

Got your message before I started up Windos7 machine, so trying on Windows10 surface pro.  The network discovery was already on as was automatic setup of network connected devices as in the screenshot you provided.  But when I go to network and click on sMS-200-USB as seen below:

image.thumb.png.7434e3814630cffcab73935965e7273b.png

I get the following message:

Am I missing something?

Cheers,

Ben

On Euhasu, check that you have shared folder enabled

image.png.ae28901084fe781dd925984ed9be0746.png