metal beat

Is DVD/Blu Ray dead?

I went down to the local Blockbuster video store during the week and they were closing down.   There are now no video stores anywhere near our local area.  

Personally I think buying Blu Rays is a total waste of money as you like watch them twice or 3 times maybe in a lifetime. Music you play 100's or 000's of times.

Seems with HD streaming, Foxtel, Netflix etc - the DVD / Blu Ray may well be dead as the dodo soon.    I won't even talk about HD Blu Ray which seems totally doomed like the Laser disc - unless they kill blu ray for HD blu ray.

Who would have though approaching 2017 vinyl is alive and blu ray / dvd / cd is dying.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/01/20/4k-bluray-already-dead/

http://www.techradar.com/news/video/blu-ray/are-ultra-hd-blu-rays-dead-on-arrival-1293613

6 minutes ago, Metamatic said:

Who would have though approaching 2017 vinyl is alive and blu ray / dvd / cd is dying.

I debunked my HT set up in 2013 in favour of going back to a vinyl only set up......do i miss HT...No!!

Tase.

Love watching movies, but usually only once. Buying them is something I won't do in any volume again. Shame about the video shops. Very useful for me.

M

6 minutes ago, unclemack said:

Love watching movies, but usually only once. Buying them is something I won't do in any volume again. Shame about the video shops. Very useful for me.

M

we were never big users of the video shops....can understand with advent of netflix why video stores have moved on...

if you want the best quality PQ and SQ then there is only one way right now period and that is DISC be it blu-ray or UHD.

DVD is main stream and very much so. likes of Coles and safeway wouldnt stock them if they weren't mega volume still.

for us buying a disc is way cheaper and a better experience than going to the movie theatre .. gold class even.

we still go to the movies, though its rare and more part of an outing.

we also use netflix but its more for movies we wouldnt probably buy... 

While I don't have a large collection of them I still buy my favourite movies on blu ray when I come across them.

I got out of Home Theatre about a decade back, but still love watching a classic film now and then.

Think they (blu ray) will be around for a little while yet.

We lost all our DVD video stores years ago.   You won't find a video shop that hire out discs anymore.  I remember I use to have a membership and loved going there for the kids to keep them entertained during the school holidays.

The Internet, Foxtel, STAN, Netflix have really destroyed that market.  But like DVD stores putting an end to drive-ins,  yeah remember those, I do, and l remember taking my wife to be to see "My stepmothers an alien, with Dan Aykaroyd and Kim Basinger, at the Hoytes Drive-in at Clayton South....in a Holden Camira wagon. :P

Now you see movie disc dispensing machines all over Point Cook Town centre , IGA , Woollies in Point Cook etc.

https://kiosk.hoyts.com.au/

Edited by Addicted to music

Can't imagine BD or DVD "dying" for a long time yet.......

A few reasons why the DIsc is ALWAYS superior?..........

SQ......

Even a lowly DD DVD will sound WAY better than anything FTA or FOXTEL serve up...........let alone the superb LOSSLESS audio of BD!!!!

PQ.....

1.  A ZOOMED IN picture out of OAR so there a no "black bars"...........are you serious!!!!.............LOL

2.  INFERIOR resolution and frame rate.........err.........1080p/24 please!!!!

Then of course there's................. ADS.........oh yeah gotta love 'em...........NOT!!!!!!

CENSORSHIP..............Cannot believe some of the moronic cuts FOXTEL make................LOL again!!!

Most people here harp on about great high quality audio for stereo listening.................agreed!!!!

Lot of the same people turn nose up at MCh concerts and movies which can sound and look wonderful.

Why wouldn't you want your favourite movies/concerts to be just as high quality as your Cd's etc????

Cost is a poor excuse...........I paid $100 for an LD back in the day.........$50 for a Superbit DVD

IMHO Movie/Concert/Music enthusiasts have NEVER had it so good RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope discs stick around for a LONG time to come...............as long as necessary anyway!!!!!

Edited by JohnL

25 minutes ago, JohnL said:

Can't imagine BD or DVD "dying" for a long time yet.......

You mean until they start streaming full fidelity audio and video?!   Networks are getting faster, codecs are always improving.   It won't be long.

4 hours ago, davewantsmoore said:

You mean until they start streaming full fidelity audio and video?!   Networks are getting faster, codecs are always improving.   It won't be long.

LOL...........Not remotely interested in "streaming"............regardless of fidelity.

DVD has lasted over 20 years, despite the advent of BD and "streaming"

Throw in over 30 years for CD..........

I see those as encouraging signs for the future survival of physical disc media. 

Maybe Metamatic should change this Thread title to.............Is rental of DVD/Blu Ray dead?  

FWIW..........I own over 300 BD's ( a mate has 450!!!) and we have never rented a single one!!!!!

Edited by JohnL

Personally would be happy enough if physical digital media dyed and streaming took over.  Can say that having recently purchased a 4k tv streaming 4K programs from  Netflix is quite superb.  Additionally more and more music consumption is from either HD Tracks, or streaming high bitrate internet radio.

Am on NBN ftth though and acknowledge not everyone is able to connect at 40+ Mbps...

just to give some indication, 4k streaming from netflix is capable of some 18Mbps 25 Mbps tops

compare this to blu-ray which runs at 36 Mbps x1 and 54Mbps x1.5 rate discs. and delivers full HD audio with 3D audio encoding etc.

4k uhd blu-ray is capable of even more try 108 Mbps. the shallows uhd I was watching the other day was often sitting at ~80 Mbps.

as per the article below the realities of 4k streaming are a bit limiting. if anything they are trying to improve compression to actually drop band width. which is impossible it seems without compromising frame rate and quality.

http://blog.streamingmedia.com/2015/01/4k-streaming-bandwidth-problem.html

ps my current internet is capable of just under 3mbps ... which by the way is about what the average is these days.

we might see  a jump in coming years however as per the article the ISPs are going to struggle ! 

the netflix world wide report is an intersting one of where things are at when comes to ISPs and what they deliver,

https://ispspeedindex.netflix.com/country/australia/

as of nov 2016 currently we sit at a high of 3.49 Mbps, av 2.86Mbps and low 2.3 Mbps

Yes understand Al that bandwidth is the biggest issue for the system.  Yes Netflix uses a compression algorithm but have to say that House of Cards in Netflix 4K still looks phenomenal.  It shows what is possible.

Just did a speed test at my place.  43 mbps on Xmas morning.  All this is just demonstrative of the fact that it's a crying shame that fttp/ftth died in the arse for established areas.  Having ultra high bandwidth internet certainly has the potential to change your media consumption habits.

1 hour ago, analog brother said:

agreed. the internet is now slower than it was before.

i prefer discs.

hate to stream anything.

I prefer discs as well.    But when you can no longer rent them - its a dead format.    Not wasting my $$ on buying blu ray discs to watch a couple of times.

I love DVDs, I pick them up for $4.99 in Coles or Woolies or $9.99 if it's been released in the last 6 months. Even if I only watch it a couple of times then it's worth it.

I can't abide watching anything with adverts so Foxtel is out. I've never connected to Stan or Netflix so don't know if they have adverts or not but if they don't you can pretty much bet London to a brick that somewhere down the line they will especially if physical discs do die out.

unfortunately not everyone is on a super fast highway for the internet, and overall we aren't as the netflix own data shows. also I have seen a consistent slow down in my area... as more people start streaming get online etc, just more feeding off the little pipe... probably same thing will happen with the nbn roll out I predict... will just have more downloading unlimited and streaming at highest rates possible. its a bit like the roads...can keep investing and the traffic jams we see day in day out dont go away...

at the moment and I suspect even if i had nbn then I would still be waiting for games of thrones for instance to come on blu-ray wiht the entire series. i.e. every season with its atmos audio hd picture etc rather than a compressed picture and basic audio get via streaming.

lifes too short and if going to enjoy might as well to the fullest is my take on things.

and its not like discs break the bank ! we are talking 10s of dollars here ... if want to buy even cheaper they go for a pittance 2nd hand (not even worth selling in some cases) and also pretty cheap online if look around. 

additionally as has been mentioned if do want to rent it is likely your super markets in your area have those lending machines where can get a disc to borrow. theres two within 5 min drive of me and half a dozen in pretty close proximity just out side that.

https://kiosk.hoyts.com.au

6 hours ago, Metamatic said:

I prefer discs as well.    But when you can no longer rent them - its a dead format.    Not wasting my $$ on buying blu ray discs to watch a couple of times.

Not trying to be a smarty but you could do what I do.

Once decided on a title that interests me I research the best available version and then purchase it at the cheapest price (usually OS.......and usually UK due to no VAT)

If the movie lives up to my expectations it goes in the Library.....

If it doesn't .........it goes on Ebay.........( and,once in a while, to a friend)

This way the difference between buying new and selling on Ebay is smallest and similar to a rental fee!!!!............Actually I have made the odd profit!!!

I also keep track of viewing sessions so if one of them hasn't been watched for quite a while it gets the ass!!!!!

My Library is always changing a little bit and also grows slower this way.

Here's a question for you..........How many of your CD's have you only listened to a couple of times?....be honest....LOL

Cheers

Edited by JohnL

On 24/12/2016 at 7:01 PM, Metamatic said:

I went down to the local Blockbuster video store during the week and they were closing down.   There are now no video stores anywhere near our local area.  

Personally I think buying Blu Rays is a total waste of money as you like watch them twice or 3 times maybe in a lifetime. Music you play 100's or 000's of times.

I used to think that when I was living in Melbourne, now that I've gone rural with the delights of country internet speeds and prices I'll be getting back into Blu-Ray. I also have a UHD TV, that requires a huge streaming bandwidth and data limit, never achievable in rural Australia outside a large town

I also have a movie library. Don't do streaming of any kind and I detest adds.I don't watch any commercial tv for this very reason. What's there to watch anyhow,cook me, build me, judge my singing....gimme a break.

Movies at JB Hi Fi are cheap as chips if you wait a bit, so it's a no brainer for me. Storage can be problematic but it's not that hard to whack up more shelves as needed. I enjoy the process of selection. 

I do miss the video/dvd store experience which has also gone by the wayside here as well.Could see it coming really,progress and all that.Still it's a shame. Can't see the dvd going anywhere for a while though,so long as there's a device to play them on,everything will be alright. 

10 hours ago, Drew said:

Just did a speed test at my place.  43 mbps on Xmas morning.  All this is just demonstrative of the fact that it's a crying shame that fttp/ftth died in the arse for established areas.  Having ultra high bandwidth internet certainly has the potential to change your media consumption habits.

You get that same bandwidth (100/40) with other fixed line versions of the NBN ... there's no worry there.

The problem is that FTTH is cheaper, and it has a known path of build / operate / maintain / upgrade .... where as right now with the other fixed line strategies, none of those things are very clear.

We use streaming for catch up TV (don't need high res for that) and occasionally get discs from the local public libraries. We do have a library of DVD and Bluray discs but it is rather small.

I see it the same as audio, use a bit of everything and own your favourites so they can't be taken away.

Now there are some HD (well, HDish) channels we are using the PVR again other than for pausing TV. Our old set doesn't do MPEG4...

Things will go round again, the masses will come to better quality one day. I'm not holding my breath for when.

On ?12?/?24?/?2016 at 7:11 PM, Tasebass said:

I debunked my HT set up in 2013 in favour of going back to a vinyl only set up......do i miss HT...No!!

I am so close to doing this (digital music though). I have been into HT since the inception back in the early 90's and had a laserdisc set up and spent $500 just on Star Wars alone and $250 on T2.

Looks like as well as the AVR is going the same way as TV's and getting less and less quality to appease the mass buying public with new features every year. See quote from audioholics.

I think as well all the latest Hollywood movies are all just watch once and throw away as well, not many worth keeping in the last 10 years or so.

"In 2016, we saw more AV receivers incorporating the new Dolby Atmos/DTS:X immersive surround sound formats at lower prices, but at what cost?  We've noticed a trend where some of these companies are over-inflating power ratings at unprecedented levels.  In addition, we've tested one particular model that suffered from mediocre preamp outputs which is a real shame for those wanting to upgrade by adding external amplification in the future.  This is just a case of trading amplifier quality for features - a new trend in AV receivers. That being said, we simply were underwhelmed by the latest models from the major manufacturers.  Sure their flagships were retouched with some added features last year's models lacked but the entry level to mid-priced stuff just seems to be getting more cheaply made every year."

I find it hard to justify buying DVDs and BLU rays new when I know I will probably watch them only once. Luckily I have a Cash Converters near me and I go and buy them there for a pittance. DVDs 2-3 bucks each, BLU rays 6-7 bucks.

Sent from my F1f using Tapatalk

22 minutes ago, powerav said:

This is just a case of trading amplifier quality for features - a new trend in AV receivers. That being said, we simply were underwhelmed by the latest models from the major manufacturers.  Sure their flagships were retouched with some added features last year's models lacked but the entry level to mid-priced stuff just seems to be getting more cheaply made every year."

Of course they are.   Increasing (or even changing) features costs money.   If profit margins are to always increase, then something has to give.

On 24/12/2016 at 7:01 PM, Metamatic said:

Seems with HD streaming, Foxtel, Netflix etc - the DVD / Blu Ray may well be dead as the dodo soon.    I won't even talk about HD Blu Ray which seems totally doomed like the Laser disc - unless they kill blu ray for HD blu ray.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/01/20/4k-bluray-already-dead/

http://www.techradar.com/news/video/blu-ray/are-ultra-hd-blu-rays-dead-on-arrival-1293613

I'm not sure I would write these things off just yet. DVD is still ubiquitous, on sale just about everywhere. "Declining" CD still has official sales by price 4x vinyl, and in terms of unit sales much more. That's before you count non-label CD sales which are surprisingly common.

UHD discs have a small market to sell into at the moment, and that market is probably mostly customers with collections of bluray movies already. I suspect the mass market is confused at the moment. It seems that every year brings some new audio standard needing yet more speakers, some video enhancement... what the hell is supported by any particular UHD disc at the moment and will it actually look and sound better anyway?