Sign in to follow this  
Bronal

IPA Recommendations Please

15 hours ago, POV said:

Incorrect.  Feral make the best IPA in Australia, followed closely by Cheeky Monkey.  Pirate Life are a sad, but respectable third.

HOW DARE YOU..... Just kidding.

Feral Hop Hog was the very first IPA that I ever tried.  And it remained the benchmark for me... until Pirate Life entered the scene. Still, Hop Hog has a very special place in my heart. Great beer. 

Feral War Hog is a bloody good beer too. Absolutely delicious.

Tried one of the Feral's  based on the recommendations here. Nice drop with tons of fruit on the nose and a nice bitter bite to the finnish however for my tastes it didn't manage to knock off my top tier IPA  SN Torpedo.

IMG_2440.JPG

Edited by Tubularbells

Funny that.... about 8 minutes after I posted last, I decided to actually go and buy some Hop Hog. And a War Hog can. Can confirm, beer is still delicious. A touch more orange and citrus than the Pirate Life. Great beer but PL still tops it for me. 

7 hours ago, Darren69 said:

Nup, I used to drink a lot of Sparkling Ale years ago when there was only the 'red' or the 'green' available, usually one or two boxes covered in dust sitting way back behind all the slabs of Tooheys Draught somewhere, haha.

Meh, dunno what I am thinking of.

You consumed Tooheys draught and survived?:wacko:

14 minutes ago, rantan said:

You consumed Tooheys draught and survived?:wacko:

hell yes, that's all a lot of people drank then mate, along with Nescafe Coffee (unless you were flash and had Moccona) and Orchy. :D

I was describing a bottle shop scenario.

Old man loved Flag Ale.

Anyhoo- IPA's.

Seen a lot of 'session IPA's' which are lower in alcohol, haven't tried any. Am actually surprised someone hasn't jumped on that labelling as it might encourage drinking to excess yadda yadda, give it ten minutes I guess.

1 minute ago, Darren69 said:

hell yes, that's all a lot of people drank then mate, along with Nescafe Coffee (unless you were flash and had Moccona) and Orchy. :D

I was describing a bottle shop scenario.

Old man loved Flag Ale.

Anyhoo- IPA's.

Seen a lot of 'session IPA's' which are lower in alcohol, haven't tried any. Am actually surprised someone hasn't jumped on that labelling as it might encourage drinking to excess yadda yadda, give it ten minutes I guess.

Yes indeed. I also remember Flag Ale.

My dad used to drink it sometimes,but since his initials were DA, that is what he drank...........Resch's Dinner Ale,often referred to as DA

I also recall Moccona being very esoteric and only consumed by subversive lefty's

1 hour ago, rantan said:

I also recall Moccona being very esoteric and only consumed by subversive lefty's

Oh don't worry, glances were cast around the room whenever it was offered. ;D

@MC240 would have had the 500g jar I reckon.

Edited by Darren69

58 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

Oh don't worry, glances were cast around the room whenever it was offered. ;D

@MC240 would have had the 500g jar I reckon.

Close but no cigar :D I buy the Nescafe blend 43 by the 500g tin fairdinkum

Edited by MC240

8 hours ago, Tubularbells said:

Tried one of the Feral's  based on the recommendations here. Nice drop with tons of fruit on the nose and a nice bitter bite to the finnish however for my tastes it didn't manage to knock off my top tier IPA  SN Torpedo.

IMG_2440.JPG

6 hours ago, mikizee said:

Funny that.... about 8 minutes after I posted last, I decided to actually go and buy some Hop Hog. And a War Hog can. Can confirm, beer is still delicious. A touch more orange and citrus than the Pirate Life. Great beer but PL still tops it for me. 

If you like Feral, SN, and PL then I highly recommend getting onto some Cheeky Monkey Hopflinger West Coast IPA.  Combination of three different hops work beautifully together to burst across the palate but then cleanse quickly allowing subtle hints of malt and honey through.

Sensational brew.

13 hours ago, MC240 said:

Close but no cigar :D I buy the Nescafe blend 43 by the 500g tin fairdinkum

I will be devastated (I think the young'uns say 'devo'd) when I finally drop my heirloom Pablo glass bikky barrel one day. :D

On 24/12/2016 at 1:14 PM, Stereophilus said:

Holgate do a nice IPA (road trip), but if you like something less malty, more "hoppy" then go for the Mt Macedon Pale Ale - imo one of the best ales in Australia right now.

Mt Macedon is my go to beer. Not easy to find out in the burbs though...

Gave this one a whirl tonite.

Very nice, not as bitter as some I've tried and it has a nice sweet smell and taste.

Will get some more of these for sure.

Mmm I better get some smaller glasses too:unsure:

IMG_4707.JPG

I've got one of those and geez how I wish she drank beer as I'd be chasing down a slab of this to dole out whenever the atmosphere turned cranky.

Should work well, it's about 8.9% if I recall correctly

Guilty as charged

3 hours ago, caddisgeek said:

Should work well, it's about 8.9% if I recall correctly

Now that's my kind of %! Wonder where I could get some from?