Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Bronal

IPA Recommendations Please

Recommended Posts

Sparkling has been 5.8% for as long as I can remember. The stout is higher.

 

I'll have to try that Big Eye!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mwhouston said:

Coopers Sparkling is an English IPA I'm told. I find it quite a heavy drink. Alcohol is 5.8%.

 

I've never heard it referred to as an IPA and don't understand how it could be, legitimately. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/12/2016 at 8:08 PM, mikizee said:

Pirate Life hands down make the best IPA and IIPA in Australia. Not sure if they would be to your tastes though. 

 

 

Incorrect.  Feral make the best IPA in Australia, followed closely by Cheeky Monkey.  Pirate Life are a sad, but respectable third.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 20/01/2017 at 2:40 PM, Darren69 said:

 

Has the alcohol content dropped? I thought it was more than that.

Your not getting it mixed up with Vintage are you Daz? That's 7.5%

On 20/01/2017 at 2:46 PM, Pieface said:

Sparkling has been 5.8% for as long as I can remember. The stout is higher.

 

I'll have to try that Big Eye!

Stouts 6.3%

On 20/01/2017 at 3:07 PM, Satanica said:

 

I've never heard it referred to as an IPA and don't understand how it could be, legitimately. 

It's known as a English Golden ale and I'm with you; I've never heard it called an IPA.

 

I'm currently enjoying this American style IPA from Victorian brewery Hargreaves Hill located at Yarra Glen.

It's 6% so sits right in the comfort zone for me https://images.boozebud.com/resources/img/product/1485227551215hargreavesIPA-zenithIPA-180-482.jpg

 

For the fourth iteration of our Zenith IPA we have continued with a solid west-coast inspired hoppy brew. Handcrafted with American-style hops, Warrior, Simcoe and Chinook delivered via several late kettle and dry hop additions provide bright layers of citrus, pine and resin in a classic representation of this New-World style. Ale, Vienna, crystal and biscuit malts firm up the palate for a solid, balanced and highly quaffable IPA.

 

 

 No idea how it found its way up here to a little IGA supermarket in the boonies as it's a special release but it's the most pleasant IPA I've had the pleasure to drink. Website>>>click

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


See if you can get your hands on some Rogue Wave 'Cranky Missus'

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, caddisgeek said:

See if you can get your hands on some Rogue Wave 'Cranky Missus'

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
 

 

I've got one of those and geez how I wish she drank beer as I'd be chasing down a slab of this to dole out whenever the atmosphere turned cranky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Luc said:

 

Your not getting it mixed up with Vintage are you Daz? That's 7.5%

Stouts 6.3%

 

Nup, I used to drink a lot of Sparkling Ale years ago when there was only the 'red' or the 'green' available, usually one or two boxes covered in dust sitting way back behind all the slabs of Tooheys Draught somewhere, haha.

 

Meh, dunno what I am thinking of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, POV said:

 

Incorrect.  Feral make the best IPA in Australia, followed closely by Cheeky Monkey.  Pirate Life are a sad, but respectable third.

 

HOW DARE YOU..... Just kidding.

 

Feral Hop Hog was the very first IPA that I ever tried.  And it remained the benchmark for me... until Pirate Life entered the scene. Still, Hop Hog has a very special place in my heart. Great beer. 

 

Feral War Hog is a bloody good beer too. Absolutely delicious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


 Tried one of the Feral's  based on the recommendations here. Nice drop with tons of fruit on the nose and a nice bitter bite to the finnish however for my tastes it didn't manage to knock off my top tier IPA  SN Torpedo.

IMG_2440.JPG

Edited by Tubularbells

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny that.... about 8 minutes after I posted last, I decided to actually go and buy some Hop Hog. And a War Hog can. Can confirm, beer is still delicious. A touch more orange and citrus than the Pirate Life. Great beer but PL still tops it for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Darren69 said:

 

Nup, I used to drink a lot of Sparkling Ale years ago when there was only the 'red' or the 'green' available, usually one or two boxes covered in dust sitting way back behind all the slabs of Tooheys Draught somewhere, haha.

 

Meh, dunno what I am thinking of.

 

You consumed Tooheys draught and survived?:wacko:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, rantan said:

 

You consumed Tooheys draught and survived?:wacko:

 

hell yes, that's all a lot of people drank then mate, along with Nescafe Coffee (unless you were flash and had Moccona) and Orchy. :D

 

I was describing a bottle shop scenario.

 

Old man loved Flag Ale.

 

Anyhoo- IPA's.

 

Seen a lot of 'session IPA's' which are lower in alcohol, haven't tried any. Am actually surprised someone hasn't jumped on that labelling as it might encourage drinking to excess yadda yadda, give it ten minutes I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


1 minute ago, Darren69 said:

 

hell yes, that's all a lot of people drank then mate, along with Nescafe Coffee (unless you were flash and had Moccona) and Orchy. :D

 

I was describing a bottle shop scenario.

 

Old man loved Flag Ale.

 

Anyhoo- IPA's.

 

Seen a lot of 'session IPA's' which are lower in alcohol, haven't tried any. Am actually surprised someone hasn't jumped on that labelling as it might encourage drinking to excess yadda yadda, give it ten minutes I guess.

 

Yes indeed. I also remember Flag Ale.

My dad used to drink it sometimes,but since his initials were DA, that is what he drank...........Resch's Dinner Ale,often referred to as DA

 

I also recall Moccona being very esoteric and only consumed by subversive lefty's

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rantan said:

I also recall Moccona being very esoteric and only consumed by subversive lefty's

 

Oh don't worry, glances were cast around the room whenever it was offered. ;D

 

@MC240 would have had the 500g jar I reckon.

 

 

Edited by Darren69

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

 

Oh don't worry, glances were cast around the room whenever it was offered. ;D

 

@MC240 would have had the 500g jar I reckon.

 

 

Close but no cigar :D I buy the Nescafe blend 43 by the 500g tin fairdinkum

Edited by MC240

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Tubularbells said:

 Tried one of the Feral's  based on the recommendations here. Nice drop with tons of fruit on the nose and a nice bitter bite to the finnish however for my tastes it didn't manage to knock off my top tier IPA  SN Torpedo.

IMG_2440.JPG

 

6 hours ago, mikizee said:

Funny that.... about 8 minutes after I posted last, I decided to actually go and buy some Hop Hog. And a War Hog can. Can confirm, beer is still delicious. A touch more orange and citrus than the Pirate Life. Great beer but PL still tops it for me. 

 

If you like Feral, SN, and PL then I highly recommend getting onto some Cheeky Monkey Hopflinger West Coast IPA.  Combination of three different hops work beautifully together to burst across the palate but then cleanse quickly allowing subtle hints of malt and honey through.

 

Sensational brew.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


13 hours ago, MC240 said:

Close but no cigar :D I buy the Nescafe blend 43 by the 500g tin fairdinkum

 

I will be devastated (I think the young'uns say 'devo'd) when I finally drop my heirloom Pablo glass bikky barrel one day. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/12/2016 at 1:14 PM, Stereophilus said:

Holgate do a nice IPA (road trip), but if you like something less malty, more "hoppy" then go for the Mt Macedon Pale Ale - imo one of the best ales in Australia right now.

 

Mt Macedon is my go to beer. Not easy to find out in the burbs though...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gave this one a whirl tonite.

Very nice, not as bitter as some I've tried and it has a nice sweet smell and taste.

Will get some more of these for sure.

Mmm I better get some smaller glasses too:unsure:

IMG_4707.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest BobbyD

Ah ha...... Tasty looking indeed......:hiccup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
I've got one of those and geez how I wish she drank beer as I'd be chasing down a slab of this to dole out whenever the atmosphere turned cranky.


Should work well, it's about 8.9% if I recall correctly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

 
I also recall Moccona being very esoteric and only consumed by subversive lefty's


Guilty as charged

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, caddisgeek said:

 


Should work well, it's about 8.9% if I recall correctly

Now that's my kind of %! Wonder where I could get some from?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Oh La la, my new fave and from the same mob-
 
https://www.ballastpoint.com/beer/sculpin/
 
7% with an excellent balance of flavour and hoppiness. very nishe.................................

Sounds like an enticing drop - might give it a try!
Edit: YIKES !!! $100 a slab [emoji46]

Maybe I could push it to a 6 pack [emoji51]

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Classifieds Statistics


    Currently Active Ads

    Total Sales (Since 2018)

    Total Sales Value (Last 14 Days)

    Total Ads Value (Since March 2020)
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...