Oppo 203 vs Panasonic UB900

• 2 weeks later...

QUOTE from :) al's first post on describing his first impressions of the Panny.

One thing I picked up straight off for instance ... and this might mean something to people and might not. the oppo like just about every brand blu-ray player in the last few years ... since the conception of 3D has a screen size setting. Not that it is totally clear what that does..and given my projector also has it appears a facility which I will explore. But have always without thought bunged in the screen size in the player...so bit of a surprise to not find it any place on the pana. Something will report through to panasonic.

I think I've found the answer to this when reading other peoples finding on the 3D version of Dr Strange, which has fine 3D in parts, but absolutely horrible 3D in others.

I've since read that this effect is called 'Floating Window', an explanation in the link below.

http://3droundabout.com/2011/11/5430/the-basics-of-shooting-stereoscopic-3d-part-3-edge-violations-and-floating-windows.html

I suggest trying the  3D version of Dr Strange  and see if you suffer the same problem I did firstly without any adjustment, and then with adjustment of that screen size setting parameter, and see if there is a improvement.

This is the first disc in my 100+ 3D collection in which this unwanted effect has been so prominent, so it would be nice to know if there is a possible cure.

16 hours ago, Tweaky said:

This is the first disc in my 100+ 3D collection in which this unwanted effect has been so prominent, so it would be nice to know if there is a possible cure.

hehe how very interesting tweaky ! I have to be honest not come across any issues with 3D have checked out...but then dont have dr strange and probably not a title id get... so hopefully not something come across in future titles... interesting finding though :) thanks for posting as a headsup

• 5 weeks later...

as it says ... right now the ub900 is THE reference UHD blu-ray player... when comes to PQ and as much some will have difficulty in accepting...

its something most definitely I could see on a scree much larger than the LCD they are using in the video and probably even more obvious on larger screens than mine...

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JSmith said:

I truly dont know what you are finding contradictory ? the review quoted very unlike the one posted earlier makes no direct comparisons across the two players in question. there is one comparison but its with the 900 playing blu-ray vs the oppo playing the uhd  version ! 

"I have the Panasonic DMP-UB900 Ultra HD Blu-ray disc player in house as well, and that player was used to draw some comparisons between the two formats. Every UHD Blu-ray disc comes with the HD Blu-ray, and in each case the HD Blu-ray at 1080p through the Panasonic set at 1080p or 2160p looked smeared by comparison, displayed reduced colours, and had flat contrast compared to the Ultra HD Blu-ray played through the Oppo. They are two different video systems at work, and Ultra HD Blu-ray is more than just an increase in resolution, because many UHD discs are from 2K masters. While the JVC 4K e-shift projector is technically only a 1080p display and can only play back the full range of darks to brights as some UHD TVs can, the UHD image on the disc was much cleaner and all of the additional benefits of Ultra HD Blu-ray through the Oppo UDP-203 were extremely evident. Since I was viewing these titles on a 10 foot 2.35:1 EluneVision Reference 4K screen, I was likely seeing Ultra HD Blu-ray’s superior video compression system at work. Blu-ray titles, by comparison, seemed to fall apart on such a large screen whereas the image of a UHD disc was completely solid."

and this I suspect is really only in there for the donkey factor that feel UHD doesnt being anything over blu-ray. 

if you can find something there in the review contradictory to the hdtv test above then please be my guest to point me to it. be only too happy to read :)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, :) al said:

the hdtv test

Mate... just like all consumers I am trying to find out who's being deliberately misleading and who's correct.

The YT video doesn't go into what settings are used on each player. I'm not discounting the HDTVTest video by any means... just trying to work out why there is so much conflicting information about these 2 players and which is better.

It would be great for a home user that isn't being paid, to do a proper side by side comparison and post screenshots etc. to clarify.

As enthusiasts we just want to but the best we can... right? I want the best 4K output possible, the leading upscaling/processing and excellent audio quality... am prepared to pay for same. Quite happy to go the Pana over the Oppo if required. :)

To me, there is much argy bargy here between two multinational companies and the misinformation that seems to follow, depending on who has been paid to say what where.

JSmith :ninja:

6 minutes ago, JSmith said:

Mate... just like all consumers I am trying to find out who's being deliberately misleading and who's correct.

The YT video doesn't go into what settings are used on each player. I'm not discounting the HDTVTest video by any means... just trying to work out why there is so much conflicting information about these 2 players and which is better.

It would be great for a home user that isn't being paid, to do a proper side by side comparison and post screenshots etc. to clarify.

As enthusiasts we just want to but the best we can... right? I want the best 4K output possible, the leading upscaling/processing and excellent audio quality... am prepared to pay for same. Quite happy to go the Pana over the Oppo if required. :)

To me, there is much argy bargy here between two multinational companies and the misinformation that seems to follow, depending on who has been paid to say what where.

I'm not sure you picked up on Al's point, the Hometheatrehifi test only used an ordinary blu-ray in the UB900, played at both standard 1080p and upscaled 4K. There was no direct comparison playing UHD discs in both.

Mind you, the way it's worded, you have to pay attention to pick up this point - I know I missed it until it was pointed out. A cynic might think the 203 came with a few hundred cash in the box...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JSmith said:

have you considered that neither review are "deliberately  misleading"  or "not correct ?  I certainly havent read anything in either of those reviews that is "not correct" or "misleading"

11 minutes ago, JSmith said:

t would be great for a home user that isn't being paid, to do a proper side by side comparison and post screenshots etc. to clarify.

it might be something you might have to go do yourself perhaps, or what ever it is that you need to convince yourself on what it is right for you. 

home users arent sitting here creating proof to convince the world. they generally make comparisons for themselves and enough to decide for themselves at end of it.

you might have to find your own "truth" :D

17 minutes ago, :) al said:

you might have to find your own "truth" :D

LoL, The Truth Is Out There, I'll call Mulder. :P

... btw was referring to all reviews and user accounts in total, not just the two.

The YT video was quite convincing... but for it to be moreso, they should have been more in depth.

It seems quite odd that the Oppo with its own specifically designed SOC would not display the same as, or better than the Pana.

• 2 months later...