Sign in to follow this  

Battery Based Audiophile Beyond

Hiding the subs works. seems to have instantly lost the "intimating look"

Treating those with black carpet, some baffle plates and grills will work there me thinks although, getting the "thing" working should proceed before the deconstruction of the subs.

Where did you hide them?

On 12/28/2016 at 1:10 PM, Upfront said:

Where did you hide them?

Under the looms of material. Taking those off is like unveiling 2 statues of the school playground bully's . :( but ugly

Will work on some cosmetic intergration

Under the looms of material. Taking those off is like unveiling 2 statues of the school playground bully's . [emoji20] but ugly
Will work on some cosmetic intergration

Just looked back on the last few photos. Got ya now! Not exactly "hidden"!

On 12/28/2016 at 1:22 PM, Upfront said:

Just looked back on the last few photos. Got ya now! Not exactly "hidden"!

Have been known to hide things in plain view before.

Experimenting with the looks of everything, I may settle for this.

Have been known to hide things in plain view before.
Experimenting with the looks of everything, I may settle for this.

I wouldn't worry about hiding them mate. Own it!!!

@Upfront

The castors would have to be the single best thing done for this system, over the break :party:thumb: Makes moving about easy.

@Upfront
The castors would have to be the single best thing done for this system, over the break :party:thumb: Makes moving about easy.

Yup. I found the same.

Will start with this lot,  almost ready for power up.

Holton 6 x 100w and 2 x 250w, miniDSP 2x8, miniDSP Dirac DDRC-22D, the Retrothermonic valve pre.

Bring the other amps in later.

Start with records and analogue in to get a feel for what is going on with the rig.

The new face plate on the 6 channel blinged it a bit.

IMG_1147.JPG

Edited by Guest

Will start with this lot,  almost ready for power up.
Holton 6 x 100w and 2 x 250w, miniDSP 2x8, miniDSP Dirac DDRC-22D, the Retrothermonic valve pre.
Bring the other amps in later.
Start with records and analogue in to get a feel for what is going on with the rig.
The new face plate on the 6 channel blinged it a bit.
IMG_1147.JPG

Always good to start simple with so many new toys to play with mate. You need to fight the urge to throw everything at it!

On 12/28/2016 at 5:19 PM, Upfront said:

Always good to start simple with so many new toys to play with mate. You need to fight the urge to throw everything at it!

Bet there will be another year or so fiddling about in this one Linc.

Going to start fresh with field measurements, want to hear it playing music again first though, has been 6 months. 

(just in the motions of getting the front end up and singing).

Interestingly enough there is well over 1000w RMS in that pile of gear, let alone the rest of it.

Edited by Guest

Recon you only need 10% of that mate!

On 12/28/2016 at 5:43 PM, Upfront said:

Recon you only need 10% of that mate!

Yea Man and the other 90% for the last 10Hz. :thumb:

Yea Man and the other 90% for the last 10Hz. :thumb:

[emoji106]

It's the type of system that you want to get out of bed early like a kid on Christmas day (weekends or holidays) so as to get the tunes rolling.  

Nice to have the big system going again. The horns exude resolve, feelings and emotion. Revelation of content with authority 

The journey is over, made it home.

Just another few enclosures/baffles to build for fun and some details with amplification to sort out and the job is done, with this one.

IMG_1152.JPG

It's the type of system that you want to get out of bed early like a kid on Christmas day (weekends or holidays) so as to get the tunes rolling.  

Nice to have the big system going again. The horns exude resolve, feelings and emotion. Revelation of content with authority 

The journey is over, made it home.
Just another few enclosures/baffles to build for fun and some details with amplification to sort out and the job is done, with this one.
IMG_1152.JPG

Stop teasing us mate! Whens the GTG?

1 hour ago, Upfront said:

With a full compliment of amps Mate, but welcome anytime, as the lounge is otherwise fully operational

The big bass trap up back really made this rig, amazing, jaw dropper (biased) I remember the way the room interacted with this set up. now its almost like sitting in field at lower volumes, particularly the low 100hz. The horn rig generally doesnt interact with the room much anyway (unlike the battery rig) this is immediately evident.

Have a good day Linc, will keep you posted, say Gday to Russ, wish I was there, for some company but it's ok here too :D for the system.

On 30/12/2016 at 9:30 AM, Upfront said:

The subs are working with a very quiet and well behaved TT. GTG soon Mate.

Some basic testing with the real time spectrum analyser, USB mic will get a run soon + spin up a heap of records. :thumb: 

IMG_1173.JPG

The subs are working with a very quiet and well behaved TT. GTG soon Mate.
Some basic testing with the real time spectrum analyser, USB mic will get a run soon + spin up a heap of records. :thumb: 
IMG_1173.JPG

Looking forward to having a listen there mate!

Looking forward to having a listen there mate!

Yea, is worth it, came out nice, refined feel to it.

Went together really well, lovely power supplies. Surprised myself. :) 

edit and a few others that have been hanging around over the weekend.

Edited by Guest

Having some fun with the Audio Control, third octave real time analyser, it's analogue and has lots of flashing Leds driven via a calibrated powered mic.

This is how we did it at the car sound offs in the early 90's

Has a range of 60 to 140dB 20hz to 20Khz a great tool for fast assessment with semi educated ball park figures :)  

IMG_1170.JPG

IMG_1178.JPG

IMG_1175.JPG

Having some fun with the Audio Control, third octave real time analyser, it's analogue and has lots of flashing Leds driven via a calibrated powered mic.
This is how we did it at the car sound offs in the early 90's

Has a range of 60 to 140dB 20hz to 20Khz a great tool for fast assessment with semi educated ball park figures [emoji4]  

IMG_1170.JPG
IMG_1178.JPG
IMG_1175.JPG

What about your DIRAC?

What about your DIRAC?

Nah, not yet, just got the record player going via  spdif from the sound card.

(TT, valve pre, STX line in, STX Spdif out, miniDSP, amps

Good , solid output, quiet like a church mouse, best set up yet.

Now that the PC/streamer and TT are successfully run into the miniDSP, the Diriac can come into service as it connects "in series with the spdif" before the miniDSP.

Baby steps mate.

Have also been known to run a few records through Audacity when things are going well and during a battery discharge for best effect :thumb:

@Upfront

Have the total compliment (team) of Amps heavily biased and tweaked ready for action, test and tune by Anthony and I today. :) Was great to see Anthony.

GTG will be announced tomorrow for the "weekend after next" if you are keen.

On the menu for the GTG.

• Mystery Monster amp from Launceston, with potted and shielded 2Kva Transformer/ billeted machined plate case. running 4 Exidos Maelstrom 18's
  • 2 off 2 x 50w, bilet case amps, bi amping a set of nice bookshelf speakers with carbon Seas Drivers and tweaked crossovers
  • the Horn Rig with 6 x 18" drivers and 2200wRMS into 8 ohms on tap.
  • Battery Rig with Rasberry PI/HiFi Berry DAC front end
  • Record swap/trade

The whole thing totally off grid, merits of power supply, with the big(er) gear

If you are interested Mate. 

TBA, Tassie Lounge, tomorrow