Sign in to follow this  

Battery Based Audiophile Beyond

New page beyond 100  pages

Link back to the Battey Based Audiophile

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/75988-a-battery-based-audiophile-story/

Time to start a fresh chapter, or think of it as going from prep to grade 1.

This thread will be similar but will concentrate more on the finer points of 

1. Room, listening zone acoustics, in response to the stereo or actual waterfall plotting and explanations

2. Getting to the bottom of testing and applying data to speaker response curves, the outside test and then the inside of the room for the fully active system.

3. Front End of system.

4. Speaker Enclosure and Amplifier construction.

5. Opening a hobby based specialized Audio listening Center on NW Tasmania.

6. Off Grid Power Supplies for AV and why they can be superior. The DC/DC stereo will pop up from time to time as well.

Edited by Guest

dang good battery 

IMG_0097.JPG

dang good battery 
IMG_0097.JPG

My what a big battery bank you have!

On 12/16/2016 at 3:24 PM, Upfront said:

My what a big battery bank you have!

Big enough to get the Police out for a visit after midnight :D:partyand stayed for an hour watching Star Wars, haha

While thhe Mrs is away

opps

Edited by Guest

Charging battery flat out, a 12v and 48v at the upper limits, amazing gear goes and goes year in, year out.

IMG_1115.JPG

IMG_1114.JPG

New Chapter, 

New Gear List, starting with the mains driven system almost completed construction. 

Something to be clear about, power and IC cables are either DIY or the 10buck IEC. Personal belief that good fresh connections are of more value than expensive ones.

Design and application

4 way, Floor Standing, active big system capable of over 125dB with frequency response from 10Hz to 20Khz, 

Test and Verification

miniDSP usb mic, REW

Audio Control, 3rd Octave real time spectrum analyzer, Calibrated powered mic.

Power supply.

SMA Sunny Island 6, 4.6Kva continuous 10Kva+ transient peak at mains volts of 230vac at less than 3% waveform distortion allowable before supply trip at full peak loading

10, Suntech 270w Mono Solar Modules in a string charging a 15Kwh Absolite AGM Battery

Method of charging battery is via an ac coupling with a SMA Sunny Boy, 2.5Kva grid tie type Inverter, re programmed to run off grid.

2 separate 230vac mains circuits,  4mm2 for amps @ 20A, 2.5mm2 @16A for the front end with 500va isolation transformer as an optional full isolation for the front end of the single ended unballanced system. Conventional MEN to the same earth stake as the rest of home.

All power points are the Clipsal double pole type

All associated protective Switch Gear is NHP Mod 6

Speakers

PSE 144, 2 way Point Source Horns, 250Hz and up to 20Khz

Eminence Magnum 18" mid bass (or)

Acoustic Elegance TD18'+4 (enclosures to be constructed), 32Hz to 250Hz

Exidos Maelstron x 4, 18" subs 10 to 32Hz

Amps (power)

Holton Precision Audio

3 x  250wrms x 2 Dual Monos 

1 x  6 channel, 4 x 100wrms and 2 x 150wrms

Total amplification expressed at an 8 ohm impedance, somewhere close to 2.6Kw. into lower impedances such as the subs and mid bass of 4 ohms, 5Kw

Front End and DSP

miniDSP 2 x 8 with miniDSP Dirac, for starters  or whatever comes along like a pair of DEQX units

Burson Conductor  as a pre

The venerable ASUS STX sound card, as stock or heavily modified, highly media oriented customised PC

A choice of TT pre amps, valve or SS

Micro Seiki MR611 Turntable. Clearaudio Beta 1 wood body Cart

Networked via Synology 4K capable NAS, 

time to get to work, finishing off the new amps.

Edited by Guest

New Chapter, 
New Gear List, starting with the mains driven system almost completed construction. 
Something to be clear about, power and IC cables are either DIY or the 10buck IEC. Personal belief that good fresh connections are of more value than expensive ones.

Design and application
Floor Standing big system capable of over 125dB with frequency response from 10Hz to 20Khz, clean undistorted.

Test and Verification
miniDSP usb mic, REW
Audio Control, 3rd Octave real time spectrum analyzer, Calibrated powered mic.

Power supply.
SMA Sunny Island 6, 4.6Kva continuous 10Kva+ transient peak at mains volts of 230vac
10, Suntech 270w Mono Solar Modules in a string charging a 15Kwh Absolite AGM Battery
Method of charging battery is via an ac coupling with a SMA Sunny Boy, 2.5Kva grid tie type Inverter, re programmed to run off grid.

2 separate 230vac mains circuits,  4mm2 for amps @ 20A, 2.5mm2 @16A for the front end with 500va isolation transformer as an optional full isolation for the front end of the single ended unballanced system. Conventional MEN to the same earth stake as the rest of home.

All power points are the Clipsal double pole type
All associated protective Switch Gear is NHP Mod 6

Speakers

PSE 144, 2 way Point Source Horns, 250Hz and up to 20Khz
Eminence Magnum 18" mid bass (or)
Acoustic Elegance TD18'+4 (enclosures to be constructed), 32Hz to 250Hz
Exidos Maelstron x 4, 18" subs 10 to 32Hz

Amps (power)

Holton Precision Audio
3 x  250wrms x 2 Dual Monos 
1 x  6 channel, 4 x 100wrms and 2 x 150wrms

Total amplification expressed at an 8 ohm impedance, somewhere close to 2.6Kw. into lower impedances such as the subs and mid bass of 4 ohms, 5Kw

Front End
Burson Conductor
The venerable ASUS STX sound card, as stock or heavily modified 
A choice of TT pre amps, valve or SS
Micro Seiki MR611 Turntable.
Networked via Synology 4K capable NAS

time to get to work, finishing off the new amps.

Looking forward to hearing the new amps mate

On 12/17/2016 at 2:51 PM, Upfront said:

Looking forward to hearing the new amps mate

Me too, if I get my act together will get them close to fire up today or later this week

Starting to get on top of building the lounge/shop, power supplies and other wonderful stuff. Life is good.

More panels going on, building Custom ready to install RAPS, test battery and cables/protection, lots of things.

IMG_4692.JPG

IMG_4688.JPG

IMG_4691.JPG

IMG_4694.JPG

Edited by Guest

Starting to get on top of building the lounge/shop, power supplies and other wonderful stuff. Life is good.
IMG_4692.JPG
IMG_4688.JPG
IMG_4691.JPG

Any progress is good progress!

2 minutes ago, Upfront said:

Any progress is good progress!

Getting over a hump in the road.

Toasted ham and cheese sandwich ? Made from sunshine, Mate

Found this thing after a bit of a clean up, :thumb:better than mains power supply, for the BIG System

IMG_4696.JPG

2 days until Santa.

Wish everyone happy holidays

IMG_1124.JPG

2 days until Santa.
Wish everyone happy holidays
IMG_1124.JPG

Looks like santa has already been to your place mate!

On 12/22/2016 at 2:22 AM, Upfront said:

Looks like santa has already been to your place mate!

Should hear em workin. 

Yep Santa came early

Nice "plug" Linc, nice

Edited by Guest

50-0-50v transformers 625va x 6, platforms with rubber mounts and blind nuts going together. Closer to done, some power wiring and commissioning mosFET bias from there 

IMG_1126.JPG

Edited by Guest

Nice to have some time with this job. 

Drilling and bolting the transformer platform. Rubber mounted, cases just became really heavy

IMG_1127.JPG

Nearly done, amp build looking pretty.

Only remote triggers and switchs to go.

IMG_1128.JPG

IMG_1129.JPG

Edited by Guest

Nearly ready @upfront

:love might keep going

IMG_1130.JPG

IMG_1132.JPG

Nice work man. Only 4 output devices per channel? How hard will they be working for the amps output?

On 12/24/2016 at 4:02 AM, CryptiK said:

Nice work man. Only 4 output devices per channel? How hard will they be working for the amps output?

Hello, I believe the mosfets are specified carry around 250w into 8 ohms, per side. Dual die Exicon fets. 

The power supplies could be pushed to 4 amp modules easily and may modify one of these to make a 4 x 250w

IMG_1144.JPG

Back together!?!??!?!?! Running! ?!?!?

On 12/28/2016 at 1:51 AM, Upfront said:

Back together!?!??!?!?! Running! ?!?!?

Have been plugging in a few things, no noise yet, probably tomorrow. :)

Hiding the subs works. seems to have instantly lost the "intimating look"

Treating those with black carpet, some baffle plates and grills will work there me thinks although, getting the "thing" working should proceed before the deconstruction of the subs.