Battery Based Audiophile Beyond

13 hours ago, Upfront said:

Very cool things mate. What will you mate them with?

At this stage probably pair up with the ML CLS's but anything can happen

(Yea they are cool) sweet sounding things

Reason we are making them is because I have been searching the World for years to buy a pair, but they are scarce unobtaium.

Another Amp rolls off the Production Line :)

This one is tiny, looks the part though, metal flake charcoal grey and olive oil  for the red wood.

Now for the moment of truth, Blu Genie, nothing at all or a Winner !!!! always a worry first fire up. 

Particularly careful to note supply polarity on this.IMG_1978.thumb.JPG.3662182127af9a40bf0c938c7463604a.JPG

@Aussieamps getting in a bit of practice before the big one Mate !!!!!!!  :sorcerer:

IMG_1985.JPG

IMG_1981.JPG

Edited by Guest

@Upfront

You are right about the little amp Mate, what a ripper :ohmy: 

Combination actually sounds surprisingly nice.

Lst job was to drill a hole in the faceplate so as you can see the indication power on LED which is red .

Highly recommended D Class circuit, runs well on a 24v 50w switchmode supply and is stupidly efficient (loud) seems to like being dead cold, doesn't warm up :huh: after running for over an hour, sounds sweet, does lots of things right, surprised. (edit after a couple of more hours the amp warmed up to luke warm)

Hisses a little in comparison with the Holtons, but could do better with a decent supply probably

IMG_1990.JPG

IMG_1993.JPG

Edited by Guest

Notes

watching the watt meter showing peaks of 10w, less than a light globe for excellent spl from the baffles, liking the 7" very much set up like this, simplicity is underrated . Very glad the 10dB L pad went onto those silk 18mm tweeters :P which are actually quite listenable. .

18 hours ago, Rob181 said:

I thought you would have had a HPA T....

Yep, you are right, have them also in a white collared polo :thumb: still in the mail tho

Look forward to catching up Rob. The Hotel is close to the venue for the show I think

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, 125dBmonster said:

Look forward to catching up Rob. The Hotel is close to the venue for the show I think

Yep...me too...

Said hotel is within 1 kl of the show venue (so travelmate tells me)...

An easy am stroll (to the venue) as long as the sun is shining...

I take no responsibility for the return distance to said hotel...

• Like 1

3 brand new shielded potted Toroidy Transformers can only mean 1 thing

More Holton Precision Audio Amplifiers to build :hyper: was very happy to see these turn up from Poland.

Note, these amps are for me, my hobby education and relaxation, not intended to be sold or be made available for show or sale

IMG_5496.JPG

@Upfront

That lazy ribbon project is underway as well Mate, Ray's place Friday night to have a go and repair his, with replacement ribbons and a couple of beers.

We will probably have his magnetic stacks laying down on the bench for close inspection and some photos

[mention=111049]Upfront[/mention]
That lazy ribbon project is underway as well Mate, Ray's place Friday night to have a go and repair his, with replacement ribbons and a couple of beers.
We will probably have his magnetic stacks laying down on the bench for close inspection and some photos
Would love to see inside mate if you do take some photos. Will be interesting to see what you and Ray come up with.

19 hours ago, Upfront said:
21 hours ago, 125dBmonster said:
[mention=111049]Upfront[/mention]

Would love to see inside mate if you do take some photos. Will be interesting to see what you and Ray come up with.

Ray said he waited for years to even see a set, let alone for sale.

Basically we'll just copy them.

Will get some happy snaps no worries, we be making ribbons with aluminium foil and cellophane tape, which is apparently genuine original fitment. Ferrite magnets, aluminium extrusion for the support structure and for the pair I make a transformer at around 10:1 so as the 1 ohm across the ribbon, becomes 10 ohms seen by the amp, or something around that.

Ray's current ribbons run ok in parallel (with simple HP filter) with the electrostatics and no transformer to excellent effect

Interesting project, keen

Edited by Guest

me too Mate, apparently a kitchen bench top will be involved as well to stick every thing on to, before peeling it off, dunno but intrigued, Ray's done a few sets in the past as repairs, needs 2 blokes that like speakers to build them right

@aussieamps

All of this DIY stuff is being packed for the HiFi Show Mate :thumb:

EDIT except for the 4mm split SS wwashers and baffle

IMG_2008.JPG

Edited by Guest

Should be interesting an interesting project :) 

Just to see what operational bandwidth , and how they sound

IMG_5536.JPG

IMG_5528.JPG

IMG_5534.JPG

Edited by Guest

20 hours ago, Upfront said:
On 10/27/2017 at 7:57 AM, 125dBmonster said:
Should be interesting an interesting project emoji4.png 
Just to see what operational bandwidth , and how they sound
IMG_5536.thumb.JPG.a10a2915c0cf7a937051d9883295cc5f.JPG
IMG_5528.thumb.JPG.472fa62757e5b93cb38186fb8b2bda3f.JPG
IMG_5534.JPG.bff245efe453dc6291c53daddd2509e8.JPG

Are they large magnets all the way up each side Matt?

Hi Linc, yep 

First job done, which was probably the most daunting part of the whole process make a successful pair of ribbons.

Corrugating them comes next as the tools start coming in. Metalized Mylar will be experimented with as well, just waiting on materials

For this job will use strontium ferrite  magnets. plenty of study to do yet on the rest of the build. 

Hi Linc, yep 
First job done, which was probably the most daunting part of the whole process make a successful pair of ribbons.
Corrugating them comes next as the tools start coming in. Metalized Mylar will be experimented with as well, just waiting on materials
For this job will use strontium ferrite  magnets. plenty of study to do yet on the rest of the build. 

Build thread!?!?!?

17 hours ago, Upfront said:
17 hours ago, 125dBmonster said:
Hi Linc, yep 

Read more  

Build thread!?!?!?

It's here Mate 

Would doubt there would be much interest anywhere else

Length will be around 1600mm 

Measured impedance for the drive is 1.8 ohms and from suggestions it remains a purely resistive load when in action, shimmering

Length will be around 1600mm 
Measured impedance for the drive is 1.8 ohms and from suggestions it remains a purely resistive load when in action, shimmering
Keep the photos coming mate. Will be interesting to see how yours sound compared to Rays