Battery Based Audiophile Beyond

me either, picked from a special's table, they are 7" 
Did I say "nasty" at any point ?
[emoji38]
Have been surprised before by rubbish
surprised in 2 ways :thumb:
Yeah I've seen them lots but they were late into the car audio scene. About the time where all the good old stuff got a little nasty. I've been keeping an eye out on the bay for some old school (I think that's what the young people these days call them) component speakers for the next car.

Well I'll be

Nice, on their own

Show some quality though with the 18's as their Mates from 70Hz

Was looking at the crossovers and there is a 1ohm 5w resistor that isn't connected, to my amazement, might work that in there for the tweeter is showing on measurements as a couple of dB high and bright.

@soundbyte baffle on Mate, told you I would have a go one day and they work fine 

Piece of cake. 

IMG_5387.JPG

IMG_5388.JPG

IMG_1967.JPG

Edited by Guest

Well I'll be
Nice, on their own
Show some quality though with the 18's as their Mates from 70Hz
Was looking at the crossovers and there is a 1ohm 5w resistor that isn't connected, to my amazement, might work that in there for the tweeter is showing on measurements as a couple of dB high and bright.
[mention=153397]soundbyte[/mention] baffle on Mate, told you I would have a go one day and they work fine 

Piece of cake. 
IMG_5387.thumb.JPG.72fbd571e5690fca7a43ebf393e108df.JPG
IMG_5388.thumb.JPG.24d9f6fdaa47bada9e2f72048bbd57a8.JPG
Looks like a good little project mate! Nice score!
How's the troopy looking?

12 hours ago, Upfront said:

Looks like a good little project mate! Nice score!
How's the troopy looking?

Thanks Linc, yea, they do sound quite Ok, certainly not an Electrostat or Unity horn :lol: but would fool some into believing they are !!haha

Yea, thanks for the  reminder must order all the special bolts and nut inserts, thanks for the reminder

now to pry myself off the chair, not happening

IMG_5390.JPG

Thanks Linc, yea, they do sound quite Ok, certainly not an Electrostat or Unity horn [emoji38] but would fool some into believing they are !!haha

Yea, thanks for the  reminder must order all the special bolts and nut inserts, thanks for the reminder
now to pry myself off the chair, not happening
IMG_5390.thumb.JPG.acf34afc99d4acacde19cab6d8b59308.JPG
Recon you deserve one of these.bb341cbcd64c8e2a68d03cee3132d05e.jpg
  • Like 1

@Upfront Coffee me, but thanks for the thoughts could handle one of them.

Avid Speaker builders

You don't need a box, particularly if the drivers have a really tight spider and the instruction set describes the T.S. Parameters as infinite baffle. The only electrical parameter instructions other than <4ohms, 450w :lol: 

Running on their own with the 3dB shelf from 8K up, piano solo is convincing, wouldn't call them warm in any way though, fatiguing would be better explanation, but will set them up for a burn in overnight on some pink noise

Response is fine to 40Hz, then nothing at all, the baffle is like a brick wall HP filter  

12 hours ago, soundbyte said:

Nice work, baffles are not to be beat for simplicity.

Sometimes not beat for sound, you need another listen to mine sometime.

Relax and enjoy.

Still missing the trip to Hobart Mate, will get down there as soon as I have a spare weekend

Had some fun tuning up the crossovers for the baffle speakers, fairly simplistic affair to get in the ball park, with no more than a padding resistor and capacitor on the tweeter (after trying a few variables. Used the Audio Control 3rd Octave Real Time Analyser at 1 meter in room with a few tests off axis to get a feel for how directive the baffles are.

Happy now they sound subdued and more natural, stage is projected beyond the outsides of the speaker positions , excellent.

Just pack up all the parts and job finished. Not bad for a build cost of less than 150

IMG_1969.JPG

IMG_1968.JPG

Had some fun tuning up the crossovers for the baffle speakers, fairly simplistic affair to get in the ball park, with no more than a padding resistor and capacitor on the tweeter (after trying a few variables. Used the Audio Control 3rd Octave Real Time Analyser at 1 meter in room with a few tests off axis to get a feel for how directive the baffles are.
Happy now they sound subdued and more natural, stage is projected beyond the outsides of the speaker positions , excellent.
Just pack up all the parts and job finished. Not bad for a build cost of less than 150
IMG_1969.thumb.JPG.44a48f2d441dfbfd18b58fb941cdddfb.JPG
IMG_1968.thumb.JPG.05d15eba0e537516167415b4af1be62d.JPG
So what's the plan for them Matt?

13 hours ago, Upfront said:
20 hours ago, 125dBmonster said:
IMG_1969.thumb.JPG.44a48f2d441dfbfd18b58fb941cdddfb.JPG
IMG_1968.thumb.JPG.05d15eba0e537516167415b4af1be62d.JPG

So what's the plan for them Matt?

High efficiency shack stereo for 24v dc. Noise maker :thumb:

25w x 3 channel D class amp is coming along nicely, has stand offs and knobs, just needs a box, binding posts, inputs and feet. Third channel can run a sub if required. Keen to hear the amp module on the speakers.

IMG_1970.JPG

On 06/10/2017 at 9:01 AM, soundbyte said:

Welcome to the Dark Side?

Pleased that these worked out so well.

I do note however the possible use of what looks like below standard figure 8 cable for your speaker leads.

The Dark side, maybe you could call it a "return to the Dark Side" tuning passive components is fun with the soldering iron a pile of parts and my old RTA. Brings back memories

Yes the baffles came out nicely and have warmed after a couple of nights on the pink noise for run in which is at 25 hours at this point..

Speaker cable is crap yes, but is wired properly and has bright fresh terminations so very acceptable, for testing. Losses on the cable aren't a problem seeing as the amplifier connected is rated at over 200 wrms into 4 ohms. Having binding posts is a bonus for some much prettier , later.

Might get a supply organised for the d class 24v amp and give it a run later today. :) 

The little 24v power amp module almost has a workable case

I think will paint the checkerplate black after it's had a full dummy fitting together, looking nice for something so tiny :)

Few holes to carefully measure out and cut at this stage, it;s all held together by 2 little pieces of red myrtle and some left over 4mm bolts.

No room for the 3 binding posts so will terminate into a terminal strip, rough but easy. stereo mic input plug as it will be tiny. Whole thing is about as big as a huge packet of smokes (for want of a better description) 

IMG_5444.JPG

IMG_5448.JPG

I think will paint the checkerplate black after it's had a full dummy fitting together, looking nice for something so tiny [emoji4]
Few holes to carefully measure out and cut at this stage, it;s all held together by 2 little pieces of red myrtle and some left over 4mm bolts.
No room for the 3 binding posts so will terminate into a terminal strip, rough but easy. stereo mic input plug as it will be tiny. Whole thing is about as big as a huge packet of smokes (for want of a better description) 
IMG_5444.thumb.JPG.8d09c68fc8971946d826b10964af03cf.JPG
IMG_5448.thumb.JPG.aaa724a5a8965f71b60bb7f814e00b3b.JPG
Will be interesting to see what it sounds like. I've bought some good ones and some bad ones. Last one was a little bluetooth amp. Worst amp I've ever heard!

16 hours ago, 125dBmonster said:
I think will paint the checkerplate black after it's had a full dummy fitting together, looking nice for something so tiny emoji4.png
IMG_5444.thumb.JPG.8d09c68fc8971946d826b10964af03cf.JPG
IMG_5448.thumb.JPG.aaa724a5a8965f71b60bb7f814e00b3b.JPG

Read more  

Will be interesting to see what it sounds like. I've bought some good ones and some bad ones. Last one was a little bluetooth amp. Worst amp I've ever heard!

G'day Linc, did the layout of the board and driver circuit look the same as that one ? 

First time I've tried one of these little d class amps, otherwise the 24v amps in the ab class seem to go really well.

Might get a tune out of it soon and haven't powered up the board yet, need a few parts from town to finish and a couple of 12v batteries. 

The speakers that go with them have been enjoyed for the last week, much better after adding the Lpad resistors to the tweeter, the stock capacitor was actually ok.

G'day Linc, did the layout of the board and driver circuit look the same as that one ? 
First time I've tried one of these little d class amps, otherwise the 24v amps in the ab class seem to go really well.
Might get a tune out of it soon and haven't powered up the board yet, need a few parts from town to finish and a couple of 12v batteries. 
The speakers that go with them have been enjoyed for the last week, much better after adding the Lpad resistors to the tweeter, the stock capacitor was actually ok.
No the one you have is very different. It looks more like the little amps I had running my mids at one stage. If it sounds anything like them, you'll be vwry happy!

As a side note

a mate and I are in the procurement stage of a speaker build with a difference.

True Ribbon Speaker at about 1600mm high or the same height as my Martin Logan CLS's

2 pairs 

:) now that will be fun 

As a side note

True Ribbon Speaker at about 1600mm high or the same height as my Martin Logan CLS's
2 pairs 

[emoji4] now that will be fun 
Think we need some more details about this mate.

13 hours ago, 125dBmonster said:
As a side note

2 pairs 

emoji4.png now that will be fun 

Read more  

Think we need some more details about this mate.

Well :)

at this stage Ray and I have been discussing at length for a couple years weather or not it's a viable proposition to duplicate roughly a pair of long ribbons that he has. 

Yesterday spent some time at his place doing some repairs (on said  speakers) and penning  down some details such as numbers of magnets, type, size and a few other things including basic dimensions and materials within the stands.

Needless to say we had the stereo running Frank Zapper and a few other mind bending tunes from his record collection of the 70's smoke haze

Ray has been manufacturing ribbons for these things in a few different ways over time and we have a couple fairly tedious but reasonable methods for going about that process and much easier if we team up.

Going down a rabbit hole ?, yep :baby: 

work it out as we go with a few cans of beer for courage. Cheese and biscuits for strength.