Battery Based Audiophile Beyond

Anthony coined the phrase "could be run over by a 4WD" and still be ok

25 minutes ago, Upfront said:

Very solid and cleverly built peice of kit mate. Looking forward to having a listen.

Next GTG Mate, Easter will have something !

14 minutes ago, niss_man said:

Love the lowrider style pcb and transformer.

The 8 x 10000uF 50v caps aren't bad either 

Going to have a big weekend doing some subjective listening to this module and transformer swapping. Another module with dual lateral Fets (double the output current) may even turn up later on today.

Finished making a nice pair of speaker cables :) for this job, earlier. Bring on knock off time !!!

Here is the latest main board update for the NX050 desktop power amplifier. Anodised front panel has been delayed but should become available in the next couple of weeks.
The latest version now has an updated power controller, more conventional fusing regime and I have added some solid state relays to more precisely control the loudspeaker output and provide lightning fast disconnection of the loudspeaker after turn off. This latest update also has the option of 12v trigger turn on turn off input.

Oh and this one now has Dual Die Mosfets for double the current output capable, really  does make quite a difference to the perceived power delivery.

I will bring this amp with me to the next GTG in Hobart around Easter time.

NX050_9B.jpg

NX050_11b.jpg

Edited by Aussieamps
  • Like 1

On 3/1/2017 at 6:46 PM, Aussieamps said:

Here is the latest main board update for the NX050 desktop power amplifier. Anodised front panel has been delayed but should become available in the next couple of weeks.
The latest version now has an updated power controller, more conventional fusing regime and I have added some solid state relays to more precisely control the loudspeaker output and provide lightning fast disconnection of the loudspeaker after turn off. This latest update also has the option of 12v trigger turn on turn off input.

Oh and this one now has Dual Die Mosfets for double the current output capable, really  does make quite a difference to the perceived power delivery.

I will bring this amp with me to the next GTG in Hobart around Easter time.

NX050_9B.jpg

NX050_11b.jpg

This one makes mine look a bit rough 

Beautiful work Anthony.

Locking up now for a big weekend on making stuff and having a good listen in a dead quiet sound lounge. Will have Raspberry PI3, Berry HiFi DAC + Pro and either a Burson Lycan or Burson Conductor Pre or no pre amp at all :) as the front end

JAMO C803 Passive Speaker Systems for starters then 2 pairs connected in parallel for 3 ohms and see what the single die Exicon FET's can really do.

The Harbuch 225va vrs Noratel Transformer listening tests.

Lots to do, better get to it :rolleyes:

Edited by Guest

rough and ready cables, before/after the heat shrink goes on

IMG_1296.JPG

Looks rough but it's meant to be close coupled parallel twisted conductors, low inductance and very low resistance 4 core.

No I didn't measure their electrical properties :P

IMG_1297.JPG

Edited by Guest

Time to sit back and soak it all in, little amp is a winner with a black inky silent noise floor is the first thing you notice. :love Will let it run solid for a few days to settle in to the rhythm

THe JAMO C803 like a bit of power and happy with SQ and SPL so far, crisp and detail not missing a thing

IMG_1298.JPG

Looks like some countersinking of fasteners is in order, looks lovely in satin black enamel 

Run this set up for a few hours and sounds good after some blu tac blobs were placed to help the 803's amp is a keeper what a beauty. (sorry to sound biased but it is actually) the case in particular feels completely damped solid like a block of wood and gets better from there.

Bit chuffed I have 2 more to build one module in the mail and another weekend of drilling and tapping M4 

These will also be keepers, the Mrs spotted this one and wants it in the TV room, with the other pair of C803's of coarse (hopefully she won't mention that again)

IMG_1305.JPG

Edited by Guest

Building the front end for a mini system :)

Had some success with the PI3 and HiFi Berry DAC,

so it's time to get it ready for a reasonable power supply I can plug into the isolation transformer at mains volts. build some sort of case from aluminium checker plate :rolleyes: to hold the SMPS mains to 12v and the second DC/DC converter for 5v adjustable and possibly a panel mount voltmeter to accurately monitor the 5v. 

Last time the PI was operated it was connected to a battery so now in uncharted territory with the SMPS 230ac/12vdc

and a side step the   elaborate linear supply :) 

Should be ok, it is only around 10 watts and won't take much to drive. The DC/DC converter is adjustable n very tiny increments so can set up 5v rail very accurately and already proven  really nice supply for the PI.

for those who read the other thread, this is just another pc for wall mount :) and supply but the smallest one yet (lowest power consumption as well by a long way) 

IMG_1308.JPG

Fun on the bench, now to make something after gathering a few parts from the scrap

So used to building something on Saturday, never been any different. May even be nice to have the external drive mounted as well so the system can stand alone for media W/O a network.

IMG_1311.JPG

Battery rig is undergoing a few changes :) may go for "less is more" and start out small, even thing of taking out the bench :ohmy: treating around the front wall and using speaker stands

DC Amps may make way for mains driven gear yet although might think about that for a while 

Time to "evolve" 

Keeping the Raspberry PI3 as the front end, just lovely. Set up with the switch mode power supply into a DCDC driver is excellent and not suffering any type of noise issue, lightening speed typical of SMPS

IMG_1316.JPG

Edited by Guest

Sometimes you can get lucky

Wynyard flee market, picked up about 30 records, 90% 12' Singles fron the 90's and 2000's including Whacko, USA press 1983 near mint, Billy Jean and Thriller, whole lot $27 :party Lots of other hits in good to mint.

Must have 1000 records by now 

IMG_1318.JPG

If you are in Tassie NW on a Sunday and like records, there are 3 sellers hawking them at $1 to $5 each, ute loads of them, where from who knows but cheap, cheap, cheap

Edited by Guest

On 3/4/2017 at 8:43 PM, Swarm said:

how do you have the pi setup ? would it be something worth getting instead of a network streamer/dac ?

Hi Dan, yea exactly

It is a Network Streamer, in it's configuration 

Set up is straight forward, 

Network Cat5 cable plugs into the modem and then on to  the Raspberry PI. The PI has a dedicated I2S DAC on board for line out straight into the amp. The PI requires a 1.5A 5.5v supply via micro USB, I use a remote keyboard and share the monitor on the desk with the PC (PC is DVI and the PI HDMI)

In this instance the PI is operating OSMC Network surfer and some other code to talk to the DAC Card

It's a bit daunting to set up, but when done a provides very well sounding DAC for very little cost. a little over $100 actually for the whole kit. It's a bit clunky an interface compared to PC based stuff, but works

The HiFi Berry DAC Pro + card cost more then the PI3

Gives me access to the NAS unit at my place for all its movies and music or will stand alone as a local player from portable drive.

complete kit not much bigger than a smoke packet

sounding like something I can afford hahaha. I've been really interested in a pioneer N-70A http://www.pioneeraudio.com.au/products/n-70a but have not seen one available. I also liked these https://www.projectaudio.com.au/collections/hi-fi-components/products/stream-box-dsa. but its a fair bit of coin just to play spotify. my laptop does not cut it for decent quality into the onkyo and the hdmi on it is rubbish.

have you had trouble with the original pi power supply ? or just liked to do something different power wise ? would i need a decent pre amp to put this into the holton ?

Thanks Matt, I shall start looking at Pi projects  

Can't comment on the other surfers you mentioned as I have never tried them, sorry

@mwhouston started a thread about the PI and Pro DAC a while ago which has some excellent instructions on how to get started. The power supply I use is a 100w DCDC converter with 12v SMPS wall wart that sounds fine and the lot was less than $30. Otherwise I see no reason not to use the genuine PI Power Supplier. You know me, I just have to be different with my power supplies :)

On 3/4/2017 at 9:58 PM, Swarm said:

sounding like something I can afford hahaha. I've been really interested in a pioneer N-70A http://www.pioneeraudio.com.au/products/n-70a but have not seen one available. I also liked these https://www.projectaudio.com.au/collections/hi-fi-components/products/stream-box-dsa. but its a fair bit of coin just to play spotify. my laptop does not cut it for decent quality into the onkyo and the hdmi on it is rubbish.

have you had trouble with the original pi power supply ? or just liked to do something different power wise ? would i need a decent pre amp to put this into the holton ?

Thanks Matt, I shall start looking at Pi projects  

No Pre Amp necessary, line out straight into your Holton, it will love it.

• 2 weeks later...