Battery Based Audiophile Beyond

@Upfront
Have the total compliment (team) of Amps heavily biased and tweaked ready for action, test and tune by Anthony and I today. [emoji4] Was great to see Anthony.
GTG will be announced tomorrow for the "weekend after next" if you are keen.
On the menu for the GTG.
  • Mystery Monster amp from Launceston, with potted and shielded 2Kva Transformer/ billeted machined plate case. running 4 Exidos Maelstrom 18's
  • 2 off 2 x 50w, bilet case amps, bi amping a set of nice bookshelf speakers with carbon Seas Drivers and tweaked crossovers
  • the Horn Rig with 6 x 18" drivers and 2200wRMS into 8 ohms on tap.
  • Battery Rig with Rasberry PI/HiFi Berry DAC front end
  • Record swap/trade
The whole thing totally off grid, merits of power supply, with the big(er) gear

If you are interested Mate. 
TBA, Tassie Lounge, tomorrow

Very interested mate. But wont be able to make it that weekend.

1 hour ago, Upfront said:

Very interested mate. But wont be able to make it that weekend.

Name a weekend except this one coming and we'll try for that @Aussieamps

Edited by Guest
punctuation :)

1 hour ago, Upfront said:

Should be fine anytime after the 14th mate. I'm happy to do the driving so there are 4 spare seats if anyone wants a ride up when the date is set.

See if Anthony is available and I'll post a date, should be fun.

Would be cool to fill the car Man.

Hi Guys

Lets make it for the 21st Jan, I am pretty flexible. Would be better that way, Have a longer time to prepare the new amplifiers.

Hope to have at least 2 new Holton Zero-Five-Zero amps as well as a new never seen before 500 watt x 2 dual mono block stereo amp.

Basically a cut down version of the Ex-Nihilo Mono Blocks that we had at the last GTG at Matt's Sound lounge. :)

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Aussieamps said:

Hi Guys

Lets make it for the 21st Jan, I am pretty flexible. Would be better that way, Have a longer time to prepare the new amplifiers.

Hope to have at least 2 new Holton Zero-Five-Zero amps as well as a new never seen before 500 watt x 2 dual mono block stereo amp.

Basically a cut down version of the Ex-Nihilo Mono Blocks that we had at the last GTG at Matt's Sound lounge. :)

Should be a great weekend Anthony, plenty of systems to listen to and look at.

Since 
@Darren69 was at the lounge 6 months ago development of the lounge and systems have come a long way.. The 11 square meter mass loaded 3D bass trap on the rear wall fixed the last of the acoustic issues within the Lounge.

9 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

The room must be bloody pressurised by now then! :D

Interestingly Daz, I have a slightly different approach to room measurements than the norm. Use my ears, a clap tests + take video of the system and sound recordings (in a rudimentary fashion). Play back the recordings at every step or change, listen and compare results.

The concrete lounge has lost its "toilet block echo" this is evident in the systems performance on comparison to earlier recordings.

There is roughly 70% more RMS available to the horn rig, which does rule the 18's with the silk glove clad iron fist, to well over double the SPL you experienced Daz. 

Last little job is to replace the Eminence Magnum 18's and enclosures with something better. A new pair of enclosures and the pair of Acoustic Elegance TD18"s. Nothing wrong with the Eminence, is just that they have an X Max of 5mm compared to 15mm of the Acoustic Elegance, vast power handling difference there. 

2 hours ago, Darren69 said:

Ok, but you will be needing extra power headroom?

Or just a 'nice to have in case'?

Head room for classical music and other music with wide dynamic range.

Dynamics/authority.

Detail of presentation, following a theory from the old 5500w battery rig "more amplification is better"

Reduction of noise floor.

It's fully active and may go to 7.1 in future

This system won't reside in that lounge for all that much longer, it's on the move to another local, much bigger room

Just now, Darren69 said:

Am sure it will shine more in a larger area, really looking forward to hearing it again, maybe 2018.

Yep, you can never have too much power.

Is a different beast to what it was, thanks to the power supply and the bass trap, but to do it justice, yea, bigger lounge.

Cheers

4 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

Am sure it will shine more in a larger area, really looking forward to hearing it again, maybe 2018.

Yep, you can never have too much power.

Always welcome Mate. 

3 hours ago, 125dBmonster said:

Interestingly Daz, I have a slightly different approach to room measurements than the norm. Use my ears, a clap tests + take video of the system and sound recordings (in a rudimentary fashion). Play back the recordings at every step or change, listen and compare results.

This is quite a good approach for a subjective analysis.   A neat torture test is to, set up the microphone and record the playback.

Then, play the recording through the system, while you record it again.      The repeat this 9 times.

So now you have 10 recordings each one a more degraded generation.

Once you've done this for multiple systems (must be in the same room) .... the test is how many generations can you tolerate before the recording sounds terrible.    The results can be quite surprising.

4 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

This is quite a good approach for a subjective analysis.   A neat torture test is to, set up the microphone and record the playback.

Then, play the recording through the system, while you record it again.      The repeat this 9 times.

So now you have 10 recordings each one a more degraded generation.

Once you've done this for multiple systems (must be in the same room) .... the test is how many generations can you tolerate before the recording sounds terrible.    The results can be quite surprising.

Yes, you are dead right Dave. Havent done that particular test, but I can understand the theory behind it.

Listening to the lounge/system via some pre bass trap installation recordings on (the Canon 7D) is revealing to say the least

I try use the same track on a particular album, boring as mud but works.

EDIT, forgot to say I always measure at the same SPL of about 85dB, so as not to saturate and clip the mic output

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Aussieamps said:

Wow! That arrived quick.:)

Was like Christmas all over again when my little Guy came down to the Lounge last night with a cardboard box.

Myself and some Mates carefully opened, examined and marvelled at the contents. Looks like everything is Ok, no shipping damage and very well packed

Is lovely Mate, thanks, will be a proud moment to fire it up, just have to mow the yard first. There is a blackberry vine invasion as well that needs attention before it literally walks over the fence, never seen one grow so fast in all my days and will be making Jam soon.

Ran the hedge trimmer over this "thing" last week, but didn't even slow it down

@davewantsmoore would have 10Kg's of green fruit on at the moment, the plumb tree under it didn't fruit this year :) which is Ok, as there will be blackberrys lots of em.

IMG_1180.JPG

Yes this is a set up for stereo the amount of cabling blows me away in comparison with a single pair of passive full range speakers. Surprised there is no cable born cross talk or induced noise with this lot :) so happy with what is there, now to make it look Ok.

Will be spending a full day behind that (and mowing lawn) to tidy it right up re terminating some and heat shrinking, attempt to get  rid of the birds nest, also re stacking into 2  piles will post another photo before days end 

Rough but ready for the GTG on the coming weekend. Platform for gear is a large 50mm thick 1.6m long blackwood slab on rubber feet so the 2400w of amps can breathe 

IMG_1202.JPG

Edited by Guest