Sign in to follow this  
catman

'Minimalist' phono preamplifiers.

G'day all, 'minimalist' is a word that pops up in various contexts in music and elsewhere, so why not electronics?  On this slightly rainy NQ night one of my John William's acoustic guitar albums is playing through my DIY Jaycar universal preamp op amp phono stage configured to Bruce Heran's design. 

A more minimalist phono stage is hard to imagine mostly thanks to the use of that OPA2134 dual op amp (a lot goes on inside that black box), but as such it sounds great!  All praise to great 'minimalist' phono stage designs like this one!  Regards, Felix. 

I have little knowledge on this topic, but it is strangely relevant to me. I have been considering getting a headphone amp to boost my phones performance and have come across the highly rated (for their size and cost) Lucid Labs Cmoy H/Ph op amp, very 'minimalist' in their approach to the extent it comes in a 'mints' tin. Quite novel, but by all accounts, seriously great performers using high quality components and featuring the same OPA2134 op amp (Burr Brown). In the US, they sell for around $30-$35, but seem to at least double in price outside the US. I would like to partake in this minimalist brilliance........does anyone know a seller in Australia of these products that sells them at a reasonable price?:)

minimalist phono stages do exist/existed.

the first tom evans groove was fixed loading/fixed gain and sound great.

best of all was the lyra connoisseur 4.0, again no user adjustments, just great sound.

both manufacturers eventually softened their stance and introduced updated versions with a few key adjustments.

G'day all, this is slightly off topic but regarding headphone amps, the Cmoy is interesting and very minimalist!  It is reputed to work well but is putting the OPA2134 to use in an application for which it was not designed, which is probably testimony to what a 'tough' dual op amp the OPA2134 is. 

I have recently built this Akitika stereo headphone amplifier kit which sounds fantastic and is highly recommended.  http://www.akitika.com/documents/HeadphoneAmpAssemblyManualRev1p9.pdf  You will also require a suitable split rail 12 to 15 volt power supply.  Regards, Felix.   

2 hours ago, stevoz said:

I have little knowledge on this topic, but it is strangely relevant to me. I have been considering getting a headphone amp to boost my phones performance and have come across the highly rated (for their size and cost) Lucid Labs Cmoy H/Ph op amp, very 'minimalist' in their approach to the extent it comes in a 'mints' tin. Quite novel, but by all accounts, seriously great performers using high quality components and featuring the same OPA2134 op amp (Burr Brown). In the US, they sell for around $30-$35, but seem to at least double in price outside the US. I would like to partake in this minimalist brilliance........does anyone know a seller in Australia of these products that sells them at a reasonable price?:)

Just buy direct from Lucid Labs. Postage is only $13

I'd forgotten about my CMoy amp, put in a wooden box (to look sort of like the expensive Grado RA1).

CMoy.jpg

CMoy inside.jpg

18 hours ago, Citroen said:

Just buy direct from Lucid Labs. Postage is only $13

Seriously, $13 from the US?! I assume that's $US?

Edited by stevoz

On 12/14/2016 at 7:35 PM, stevoz said:

Seriously, $13 from the US?! I assume that's $US?

Yep. International shipping $13 US, or about $17 Oz