Audio stuff that you've loved from the start....and keep on loving!

For my music in my room l love my kit form VAF DCX 1.2 speakers ( 2001 )  ,  also the Denon 3802 av reciever l bought from VAF at the same time, although the Denon doesn't get much use anymore.

My Yamaha RX-V1050 from 1991.  Still works perfectly (changed the back light once) and its stereo mode still is excellent for a vintage piece of gear (and for an AVR).  Relegated to the garage as my workshop stereo....

Edited by Syrot

One of the seminal audio items from my past is a Walkman- the Sony Boodo Khan, which I had in late high school. My best friend and I got them from DJs on super special, and played them until they died. Certainly a step up from other walkmans I had previously, including closed back headphones with great sound. Lots of fun developing my love of music with mix tapes on TDK SA90’s.

http://www.walkman-archive.com/gadgets/walkman_sony_04_dd100_v2.htm

• Like 1

Probably my IEM - Unique Melody Miracles.  See image to the left of screen.

They weren't cheap and there was abit of messing around getting ear molds and there was time spent waiting for them to come from the USA.  But they fitted perfectly the fist time and I love them.    They are comfortable.  Great for flying and I use them at sporting events to block out the 'nutter' supporters near me.    Just pick a CD and watch the game in peace and quiet.

Regards Cazzesman

On 26/07/2019 at 1:06 PM, Juzbear said:

One of the seminal audio items from my past is a Walkman- the Sony Boodo Khan, which I had in late high school. My best friend and I got them from DJs on super special, and played them until they died. Certainly a step up from other walkmans I had previously, including closed back headphones with great sound. Lots of fun developing my love of music with mix tapes on TDK SA90’s.

http://www.walkman-archive.com/gadgets/walkman_sony_04_dd100_v2.htm

The TDK SA-90s deserve their own spot on this list!

I used a lot of them back in the day. Bought them in boxes of 10 from Radio Parts.

Never had a bad one and they didn't wear out or make the heads grubby.

I digitised a lot of my cassettes a couple of years ago and was amazed at how good the SAs still sounded.  Some would have been well over 30 years old and would have a lot of use in the car.

Yammy cassette deck and the tapes are still all part of my garage system... the love is still there!

• Like 1

Living overseas I went without any kind of system for 3 or 4 years and after settling down got around to purchasing a simple system:

ELAC EL-100's 3 way floor standers, Sony TA- F530ES Integrated amplifier and Proton CD player 30 years ago. 

Unfortunately the CD player died after doing honorable service for around 12 years. 

I still have the speakers and amp and am still using them as my main system (intermittently and currently) but lately I have questioned myself seriously as to why I bought so much other stuff over the last 30 years? 

Guest Muon N'
6 hours ago, Gwhitten said:

Marantz cd94 mrk 2 - first real hifi purchase  - doesn't get played much nowadays but still sits in the rack ..

A few mods and it might get back in rotation ;)

Maybe it’s another case of ignorance is bliss but the one component that I have enjoyed the most in my ever changing system is the Vienna Acoustic Beethoven Concert Grand SE speakers.

I have listened to quite a few other speakers in different price ranges and it’s not until I heard speakers in the high $30-$40k bracket that I have found speakers that are, to my ears anyway, significantly more impressive. 

I considered moving to other speakers a few months back but by chance a pair of rare Music Fidelity 550k Superchargers came up for sale and when added into the amplification chain with the PrimaLuna integrated then all of a sudden the VA’s came totally alive and lifted from being a very nice sounding musical speaker to a whole nother level that was way beyond what I thought they could sound like. . Same thing occurred when the unbelievably revealing Technical Brain amp was installed the VA’s just came alive and became riveting to listen too, which to me again proves that amplifiers can make a good speaker great and are just as important, if not more important, than what speaker you have. 

I more than understand that there are way better speakers out there and I have heard a number, but the other important factor in this equation is affordability and to me the VA’s provide me easily with the best bang for buck value I can afford and a sound delivery that just puts a huge smile on my face.

Special mention after VA’s: PrimaLuna Integrated Dialogue Premium HP Integrated.

Component I most regret selling: Weston 2a3 PP Time Machine Integrated / switchable Pre. 

AE9176B5-5BE4-4B59-AABE-8989715CFD25.jpeg

Edited by TerryO
  • Like 3

Two tweeters that I could afford.

One, the original ESS AMT Heil driver in the AMT 1 speakers (bought new and still have them).

ESS_flyer_4_SNA.jpg.eb83e72042da17f711f5178ae2936f02.jpg

Two, the Raven R2 Tweeter, with graphs.

Raven_R2_SNA.jpg.ebd39fe7686f57f65318f1191ebecdb5.jpg

r2graphs.jpg.247e23a02d2765862fc637c7aa44c0b3.jpg

Still have both yet to hear anything I like better in my price range.

Edited by soundbyte

Without a doubt the finest piece of gear I've owned in the Technics SP10 MKII turntable.  A joy to use with incredible build quality and performance.   I could never consider owning ANY modern turntable, or any other turntable other than a MKIII.  

DSC03134 (Medium).JPG

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Peter_F said:

Without a doubt the finest piece of gear I've owned in the Technics SP10 MKII turntable.  A joy to use with incredible build quality and performance.   I could never consider owning ANY modern turntable, or any other turntable other than a MKIII.  

DSC03134 (Medium).JPG

Yes I agree.

I have owned all sorts of ridiculous wobbly belt drive contraptions and none of them come close to the SP10.

45 minutes ago, TerryO said:

Maybe it’s another case of ignorance is bliss but the one component that I have enjoyed the most in my ever changing system is the Vienna Acoustic Beethoven Concert Grand SE speakers.

I have listened to quite a few other speakers in different price ranges and it’s not until I heard speakers in the high $30-$40k bracket that I have found speakers that are, to my ears anyway, significantly more impressive. 

I considered moving to other speakers a few months back but by chance a pair of rare Music Fidelity 550k Superchargers came up for sale and when added into the amplification chain with the PrimaLuna integrated then all of a sudden the VA’s came totally alive and lifted from being a very nice sounding musical speaker to a whole nother level that was way beyond what I thought they could sound like. . Same thing occurred when the unbelievably revealing Technical Brain amp was installed the VA’s just came alive and became riveting to listen too, which to me again proves that amplifiers can make a good speaker great and are just as important, if not more important, than what speaker you have. 

I more than understand that there are way better speakers out there and I have heard a number, but the other important factor in this equation is affordability and to me the VA’s provide me easily with the best bang for buck value I can afford and a sound delivery that just puts a huge smile on my face.

Special mention after VA’s: PrimaLuna Integrated Dialogue Premium HP Integrated.

Component I most regret selling: Weston 2a3 PP Time Machine Integrated / switchable Pre. 

AE9176B5-5BE4-4B59-AABE-8989715CFD25.jpeg

Nothing ignorant about like Vienna's. Bang on about amps too

• Like 2

On 31/07/2019 at 10:38 AM, surprisetech said:

The TDK SA-90s deserve their own spot on this list!

I used a lot of them back in the day. Bought them in boxes of 10 from Radio Parts.

Never had a bad one and they didn't wear out or make the heads grubby.

I digitised a lot of my cassettes a couple of years ago and was amazed at how good the SAs still sounded.  Some would have been well over 30 years old and would have a lot of use in the car.

Yammy cassette deck and the tapes are still all part of my garage system... the love is still there!

+1 for TDK SA-90's. The only tape I would buy back in the day.?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JukKluk2 said:

Is that Thick As A Brick SCE an audio only Blu-Ray? Whatever it is, can you tell me where you got it please?

Hi Juk, I purchased secondhand from the Classifieds section about two months ago.

How are the 13a's going by the way?

cheers Terry

12 hours ago, TerryO said:

Hi Juk, I purchased secondhand from the Classifieds section about two months ago.

How are the 13a's going by the way?

cheers Terry

But it is an audio only Blu-Ray?

13a's are fantastico, simply fantastico!

1 hour ago, JukKluk2 said:

But it is an audio only Blu-Ray?

13a's are fantastico, simply fantastico!

It is a two disk set, CD and Blu-Ray or it could be a DVD, can’t remember to be honest, have only ever played the CD so not exactly sure what’s on the other disk. When I’m back home next week I’ll check it out.

cheers Terry 

• Like 1

The cd is the original album remixed by Steve Wilson.

The DVD is a 5.1 surround sound, new stereo mix at 96/24, original mix at 96/24 flat transfer and a 1972 radio ad, although we have never heard the DVD. 

• Like 1