Sign in to follow this  
catman

Audio stuff that you've loved from the start....and keep on loving!

Bought a second hand Linn with a Grace 707 arm and a sonus blue cartridge in 1979, had a yamaha cr 40 reciever and leak sandwich 600 speakers, upgraded in 1983, had a mission 774 arm with ortofon spu classic n cartridge fitted to the linn, changed yamaha for a mission cambridge 778, 50wpc mosfet output stage, a nad cd player and mission 770s speakers with mission speaker cables.

This system survived moving house and states many times, the linn had a valhalla, new bearing and oil with eventual overhaul in 2011, the amp died in 2005, replaced with a musical fidelity x 150, this did not match the speakers, put them in storage, bought monitor audio rs6's, brilliant speakers for the price, replace nad for a rega apollo, the cd sound was too bright, used a chord cobra 3 with good taming of sound, change the mf x150 for a creek destiny amp , sold the apollo and bought matching destiny cd player, this was a match made in heaven, changed the creek amp due to reliability and now have a leema pulse 3 with a MIT CVT terminator  2ic cable to cd, compelling listening.

the linn has been replaced with a vintage rega planer 2, moth 202 arm and ortofon 2m bronze mm cartridge, still enjoying the music!

On 12/12/2016 at 11:40 AM, wen said:

Bought a second hand Linn with a Grace 707 arm and a sonus blue cartridge in 1979, had a yamaha cr 40 reciever and leak sandwich 600 speakers, upgraded in 1983, had a mission 774 arm with ortofon spu classic n cartridge fitted to the linn, changed yamaha for a mission cambridge 778, 50wpc mosfet output stage, a nad cd player and mission 770s speakers with mission speaker cables.

This system survived moving house and states many times, the linn had a valhalla, new bearing and oil with eventual overhaul in 2011, the amp died in 2005, replaced with a musical fidelity x 150, this did not match the speakers, put them in storage, bought monitor audio rs6's, brilliant speakers for the price, replace nad for a rega apollo, the cd sound was too bright, used a chord cobra 3 with good taming of sound, change the mf x150 for a creek destiny amp , sold the apollo and bought matching destiny cd player, this was a match made in heaven, changed the creek amp due to reliability and now have a leema pulse 3 with a MIT CVT terminator  2ic cable to cd, compelling listening.

the linn has been replaced with a vintage rega planer 2, moth 202 arm and ortofon 2m bronze mm cartridge, still enjoying the music!

Old Linn's never die :thumb:

Still love the super budget appj pa0901a - hoping to get some better tubes for it soon. Mark Houston's phono is awesome too. Would love to upgrade speakers and turntable...

20161031_154247.jpg

My Ariston RD110 SL turntable with Fidelity Research FR24 Mk2 tonearm, also my JVC QL7 turntable.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

My DEQX with 3 way active.

I was completely satisfied until I upgraded speakers and went 4 way active. Then I bought a 2nd DEQX unit to go 4 way.

Simply fabulous hardware solution for pre-amp/active Xover/speaker correction/room correction. 

My Acoustic Elegance TD18s were also a winner from the first listen - gobsmacking mid bass and they continue to amaze me everytime I turn the stereo on.

My wife loves the TD18s (bless her), and the PSE144s that sit on top, and wonders why people that like good sound bother with smaller speakers (yes - she's a keeper).

cheers

Mike

Yamaha NS-690 mkIII speakers originally from channel 7 studios in Adelaide.

Denons DS-7000 and Grado RS2 (button version) headphones.

My favourite piece of gear (not the most hi-fi, or most accurate, or most transparent etc etc), but the one that I'll keep using til it dies because I love it so much is my Linn Classik.

Linn-Classik-2.jpg

On 17/04/2018 at 10:00 PM, cafe67 said:

I had a  Rega planar 3 from 1992 to around 2014. After I love my dynaudio confidence 5 , doubt I’ll ever sell them.......easily.......

For me it's my Naim Cd5x (with a Teddy Pardo Teddycap). It has taken on a kind of primacy all the way through my curiosity induced system changes. I'm also hanging on to a Cd5si as backup for when the 5x eventually needs refurbished.

Edited by deanB

I own a Bose Lifestyle 535. Given the receiver lacks a lot of capabilties (4K, Airplay, DLNA, just to name a few, I am exploring option of getting another receiver (e.g. Yamaha  RX-A860). Can I find out if that works and how should I go about connecting and configuring settings in terms of power etc

Thanks.
<a href="https://www.packnbag.com.au">E-commerce Packaging in melbourne</a>

31 minutes ago, Muhammed Ali Khan said:

I own a Bose Lifestyle 535. Given the receiver lacks a lot of capabilties (4K, Airplay, DLNA, just to name a few, I am exploring option of getting another receiver (e.g. Yamaha  RX-A860). Can I find out if that works and how should I go about connecting and configuring settings in terms of power etc

Thanks.
<a href="https://www.packnbag.com.au">E-commerce Packaging in melbourne</a>

If you're thinking of using the Bose speakers, then you may be in for some problems. They will only work properly with the Bose system. You will need to budget for new speakers too.

Every piece of Audio Research gear I've ever bought (I've never bought their solid state gear.)

Finally found the one, thirteen years and  amp no4, Exposure 2010, this amp is a keeper

G'day all, very interesting comments.  Great to see speakers mentioned too.  As for speakers, my diminutive Cambridge Audio SX-50 bookshelf speakers are just so musical and exceedingly balanced for their small size.  I love them. :heart:  Well almost as much as I love my friend!  Regards, Felix. 

Edited by catman
Spelling.

On 14/12/2016 at 10:41 AM, haraldo said:

Old Linn's never die :thumb:

bought my first Sondek in 1986, upgraded to buggery but never looked back...

Tase.

2 hours ago, Tasebass said:

bought my first Sondek in 1986, upgraded to buggery but never looked back...

Tase.

Bought my first LP12 in 1980, my second in 1982 which has been severely upgraded and is Grandpa’s Axe today, but it has given lots of joy.

Softspot mention for a Naka N600 cassette deck bought in 1975?, wish I never sold it. 

Edited by mjs