Sign in to follow this  
Spukee

Proac 1SC - better late than never!

Definitely have not moved on - I've simply stopped (returned) with a pair of ProAc TR8.  :love

I had the 1SC and they sang when combined with a Weston Acoustic EL34 Tempest.  They also did surprisingly well when paired with an Acurus DIA100.  The Acurus was a hot tip from SNA...

Enjoy the ProAc sound...

Hi MM,

wow that is intersting. What made you prefer the standard  TR 8 over the TR 8 s?

I would love to listen to the latest Tablette, the no. 10. It is a closed design, it has been a while for ProAc coming up with that enclosed Tablette. I wonder whether Tylor is going back on that classic BBC  path, which many audio lovers regard as the holy grail.....

Regards

I'm running the old ProAc 1SC with a Primaluna Dialogue Premium amp 8x EL34 and 6x 12AU7.

Which simply sound absolutely stunning with vocals.

Posted (edited)
On 03/12/2016 at 9:14 PM, Spukee said:

Thanks for the insight and comparison to the other speakers (D1, Tablette and P3ESR).  I have not had an opportunity to hear them but have heard good things about them.

Your setup looks great too - thanks for posting the pics!

I had low expectations on detail retrieval and transparency after reading a comparison vs the ML1.  Happy to be wrong.  I would love to hear an ML1 one day, but somehow imagine it to be quite similar to the Elac BS244s I have - where detail, speed and imaging are held above all.

ML-1's do a fast low bass (for size) and the mid range is very very nice, they do more or less depending on the rest of the chain, they can sound light weight, OR full, weighty and rich, depending on the source and amplification.

The Proacs are up there and very good, but when I heard both in the same system I preferred the ML-1's but there wasn't a great deal in it. So it will depend on what you prefer IMO.

Edited by Muon N'

I had a pair I sold 10 years ago, regretted it, but the better the amplification the better they sound.

I heard them with an Accuphase integrated owned by the chap who bought them, mind boggling good, more involving than many uber setups I've heard.

It's a great combination of mids and top end that you don't want to turn off. There's stacks of speakers out there that sound bigger and louder, but the 1SC's have got that character and charm that just draws you in.

I'm still holding onto my 1sc and still looking out for a high powered amp to pair them with :-). Or an Accuphase Integrated :-).

That's the weird thing about them, for such a small speaker. They very power hungry and scale very well higher up in the amping chain. Btw does anyone know the crossover value. I want to tweak all the inductor and caps to higher grade exotic stuff.

http://audioclone.free.fr/responseONEsc.html

I’d strongly suggest comparing this to the crossover inside your actual speakers though.

You will also need to measure the DCR of the inductors and replicate them in any replacement inductors.

To be honest, the 1SCs use pretty generic components but are tuned such that you risk adversely affecting the sound quality by fiddling around and randomly replacing components. I had a pair of 1SC clones back on the day and threw a bunch of boutique bits at the crossovers. The originals with their generic caps and inductors sounded noticeably better. Each to their own though!