FOUND: kick arse am/fm tuner (can you say that here?)

Astronutter

Item: excellent  am/fm tuner
Price Range: less than $500
Item Condition: Used or new
Extra Info: I am looking for a really great am/fm tuner without an extravagant price tag.  My preference is for an Audiolab 8000T but let me know what you have.

full description, price and images would be really appreciated.

Please don't forget to report your post as FOUND when possible. (You can now delete this text).

Edited by Astronutter

I have a Cambridge Audio 640T.
Sadly, it is an UK version so the DAB part does not work as we have here DAB+.

The FM however is very good and very sensitive.

Comes with remote and would be less than $300 shipped. Remote is a bit tired though...

Silver.

I also have a vintage Sansui that sounds superb but would not want to sent it as it might not survive the journey.

Cheers

Roman

It is the stuff we cannot have that makes us drool.

The best friend's wife syndrome. ;)

It is T-60.

I got it from a friend and fellow SNA member who rents and does not have FM antenna.

I did not have a proper one either so initially, I was not very happy having another box on my things to do pile.

He urged me to open it up and have a look at the internal workings with the words of: "masterpiece of engineering" and "they do not do things like that anymore".

I finally opened it up some 3 months later and indeed I was impressed.

When hooked up to a piece of wire in my garage, it produced not much more than some noise but it looked as if it was working OK.

I did prompt me to finally embark on a long postponed project of "The simplest and Best FM Antenna in The World" by a designer from ACT:

http://latham.dropbear.id.au/antenna/

Having completed it, I tested the 3 tuners I had:

Marantz ST-4000 which sounded like boombox (even when connected to $15k system), the above mentioned Cambridge which was quite respectable and produced sound similar to that of a reasonably recorded CD and the Sansui.

Sansui does not have any presets or any other fancy features but it does have set of LEDs that help with precise tuning onto the signal and it sounds... sublime.

I am not really talking here about ABC Classic FM, which does not use compression like the commercial stations do (Marantz only sounded reasonably OK on the ABC).

Sansui made even he most compressed, pop productions sound civilized.

It is also silver.

Edited by rockeater
spelling

great site

www.fmtunerinfo.com

Cawsey Audio had a Yamaha T2 for sale a while back, try contacting him

FM only,  a top sounding tuner, info

http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/yamaha.html

Cawsey Audio

41 Edward St, Brunswick VIC 3056

0433 884 924
mid to late 70's top end models from Sansui, Kenwood, Rotel and Yamaha can all sound excellent,
a good antenna does wonders too!
regards Ian