Yamaha NS-1000 best speaker stands poll

Yamaha NS-1000 best speaker stands poll  

57 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 hours ago, Willmax said:

Oops wrong photo above, but that is where it all started ;-)

I have since done a bit of DIY on the cheap and came up with these stands for the time being until I get something proper done for them in the future:

20170910_172651.thumb.jpg.aa1a56073a53681c3928bfec1c4d2f81.jpg

20170910_172724.thumb.jpg.930210d3b099bb0608f22b663f03eef9.jpg

20171118_193626.thumb.jpg.248eb6f7c43a07ee7e3f81be13e67038.jpg

IMG_20171120_101735.thumb.JPG.c1b5d851c88b8f6290f06fe8b0010f1b.JPG

Finished stand above, excuse the horrible phone picture.

Is the corner mirror there so you can admire the speakers from more than one angle or some kind of reflective bass triangulator.

On 24/12/2017 at 11:31 PM, Al.M said:

Is the corner mirror there so you can admire the speakers from more than one angle or some kind of reflective bass triangulator.

I had the mirror there momentarily for no obvious reason. Just a coincidence really :-)

Edited by Willmax

5 hours ago, Willmax said:

^They look stunning.! 

Did you make them yourself? Is that a wood veneer finish applied or some exotic solid timber?

I had them made by a friend who is a hobbyist woodworker. 

They’re solid Tasmanian Oak. No veneer here. 

Definitely a great design for these speakers. Helped in the bass department and also helped control soundstage and centre imaging. 

• 1 month later...

Those already look great as they are, you must be a perfectionist :-)
Please keep us posted on any developments.
And my hunt for the NS-1000M continues.
Finishing job started on my favourite yamaha speaker stands.
bcf373d2458cbb7c07434308186ea115.jpg

• 1 month later...

Update: Continued the speaker stand project even though I sold my NS1000M speakers a few months back.  Little more work pending..happy with the outcome so far :)stand.thumb.jpg.580cb91f566dbee9ba56d75e80e685c2.jpg

17 hours ago, HiFi-Man said:

Update: Continued the speaker stand project even though I sold my NS1000M speakers a few months back.  Little more work pending..happy with the outcome so far :)stand.thumb.jpg.580cb91f566dbee9ba56d75e80e685c2.jpg

These are coming along nicely HiFi-Man, a true labour of love.

• 3 weeks later...

Curious.

All the USA forums have their NS1000s titled back 5-8deg for 'reflection' and 'timing' as per the yamaha speaker stands. No one here seems to be inclined (<<see what i did there) to tilt theirs back?

The original Yamaha design has a 'bass deflection' plate and the higher end original yamaha ones had a 4 position adjustable. They look very simple to make, but curious about the design and whether this is still considered optimal, or if not, why?

Edited by JPete9

Guest jakeyb77
1 hour ago, JPete9 said:

Curious.

All the USA forums have their NS1000s titled back 5-8deg for 'reflection' and 'timing' as per the yamaha speaker stands. No one here seems to be inclined (<<see what i did there) to tilt theirs back?

The original Yamaha design has a 'bass deflection' plate and the higher end original yamaha ones had a 4 position adjustable. They look very simple to make, but curious about the design and whether this is still considered optimal, or if not, why?

I slouch so it's all balanced mate :thumb:

But the SPS-500 isn't slanted. They are the matched stands. How do you mean? 

Edited by jakeyb77

The metal stands you see for the 690 and 1000 series are all slightly slanted. The USA guys all seem to make thier slanted and talk about it in the forums eg stands-jpg.277682

and these steel ones a

1239381-steel-speaker-stands-type-j-made

I'll just make mine square for the NS1000, but i might experiment with an 'insert' of some type to see how it goes. Not sure what i'll make for the 690s yet.

Edited by JPete9

9 minutes ago, JPete9 said:

The metal stands you see for the 690 and 1000 series are all slightly slanted. The USA guys all seem to make thier slanted and talk about it in the forums eg stands-jpg.277682

and these steel ones a

I was under the impression that those stands were from other speaker manufacturers, like JBL, AR, etc but people liked to use with Yamaha speakers as well. I might be wrong though, happy to be enlightened.

Most Yamaha stands I've seen on the interweb are parallel top to bottom, I think.

Guest jakeyb77
30 minutes ago, JPete9 said:

and these steel ones a

I'll just make mine square for the NS1000, but i might experiment with an 'insert' of some type to see how it goes. Not sure what i'll make for the 690s yet.

These weren't sold as a pair with the NS-1000. As @Willmax suggests they are from other speakers but possibly used with them. I think my aftermarket ones also tilt back a little but the Yamaha made ones are all level. In saying that you may be onto something. Have you tried both Pete? If so what were your thoughts? 

2 minutes ago, Willmax said:

I've got a feeling @Grizzly could possibly know the answer to the question above.

Indeed he could.

He could also make an outstanding pair of custom made stands should you so desire. This is what I would do if I had a pair of these speakers.

I have never seen an original speaker stand model for NS1000/NS1000M from Yamaha which places the speaker in slanting position. I believe all slanting position speaker stands were from other manufacturers / custom made ones / may be designed for other models.

The original speaker stand models from Yamaha matching for NS1000/NS1000M was Yamaha SPS500 & Yamaha SPS1000.

Yamaha SPS500 - Modern Kenrick design but a lean one.

Yamaha SPS1000 - Metal speaker stand.

The most expensive speaker stand from Yamaha during those days were Yamaha SPS-2000, but designed for big brother NS2000 speakers. And now they have got SPS-5000 for NS5000 speaker.

Edited by Guest

I've got a feeling [mention=106714]Grizzly[/mention] could possibly know the answer to the question above.
Theres a slim chance that canting them back a few degrees (I like the inclined pun earlier) may give a rudimentary level of time alignment, though whether the effects are audible would make for a robust debate! It would also mean you could have a lower level stand but still have the tweeters firing directly at your ears, but that's purely aesthetic really.

38 minutes ago, Grizzly said:
1 hour ago, Willmax said:
I've got a feeling [mention=106714]Grizzly[/mention] could possibly know the answer to the question above.

Theres a slim chance that canting them back a few degrees (I like the inclined pun earlier) may give a rudimentary level of time alignment, though whether the effects are audible would make for a robust debate! It would also mean you could have a lower level stand but still have the tweeters firing directly at your ears, but that's purely aesthetic really.

stands to reason that if no one else is doing it here and its marginal, i can do it, claim something superior on the forums and then i will win the internet?

I've looked online for stands for years for the 690s and they mostly seem to be inclined in the USA and they chat about it a lot on audiokarma. Could be just the result of easy to come by stands from JBLs or something. I think it looks nice for the 690. I'll be copying the SPS 500.

No i havent tried both, but i might give it a shot with the 690s this weekend - i'm home alone on Saturday night and was planning to try various heights so i can finalise the design for my new stands. If my mic arrives i'll try and measure the before and after.

Any reason to vary the design of the SPS 500? i dont think i'll bother making it adjustable and just stick with the 45deg for the centre piece?

Edited by JPete9