Sign in to follow this  
Guest Y B

A Vinyl SQ Database

Guest Y B

Hi vinyl lovers,

Have you been buying vinyl records lately?

Are you frustrated by the subpar quality of the vinyl records you have bought?

Do you wish there is somewhere you can check the sound quality of the records which you wish to purchase, before spending your hard earned money?

If your answer is yes then How It Sounds on Vinyl might be your answer to finding quality sound.

You might be pleased to hear that I have created How It Sounds on Vinyl - a database for documenting the sound quality of every vinyl record release, with my web development skill. HIS on Vinyl is currently at its initial development stage. So, it is still being improved  and fine tuned.

HIS on Vinyl is a completely user based SQ review database. I have started reviewing my own vinyl collection. For this to grow, I ask you to help me to create an extensive Vinyl SQ database by submitting your SQ reviews. By referring to this SQ database, anyone who wishes to buy a vinyl record can then check the SQ rating before forking out their hard earned money. There will be a slimmer chance for everyone to get a poor SQ record. With a good and informative database, I also hope that record labels will start taking serious measures to produce high quality vinyl records because that is what we, the consumers want! We will only buy high quality products.

HIS on Vinyl is currently a non-profit website. It plans to possibly generate revenue through advertising in the future. 

I hope that you are going to like this project and help HIS on Vinyl to grow by giving me your support and spread the word. I am also keen to hear your suggestions for future improvements. 

For more info:

http://hisonvinyl.com/

http://hisonvinyl.com/how-it-sounds-on-vinyl/

Rate A Record 

Cheers,

Max

Edited by Y B

Excellent work Max.....just checked it out and bookmarked it. Great resource, looks good, so let's hope it grows.:thumb: One concern, how do you get around the 'subjectivity' of SQ between reviewers, ie: one persons great SQ may not be so for others, and could also be influenced by standard of one's analogue set up, carts, phono stages etc. This difference in viewpoint probably applies more to the actual music, not so much the SQ of it, but do you think this could be an issue? I guess honesty and trust will play a big part, but as we all love vinyl/analogue and are 'as one' in the search for excellent SQ, it shouldn't be an issue. Good luck with it, I'll certainly be using this resource.....:):thumb:

Great idea .

Needs a FAQ explaining what a good record sounds like, what to listen for and gear is used to make the evaluations.

Great idea Max :)

Should help to identify those crappy GZ pressings that are covered in dirt and scratches from new, or some of the woefully compressed "remasters" ........

Maybe include a link to the reviewed album on the Discogs database ? That way punters have another way of purchasing their desired version of the album.

Hey - great idea - I had the same one 12 months ago and did nothing about it!  :thumb:

I agree with everyone above - my stopping point personally was that the content would be too subjective, but hey, I'm not gonna knock it and instead, just get involved with your's.

cheers

Guest Y B
4 hours ago, stevoz said:

One concern, how do you get around the 'subjectivity' of SQ between reviewers...

2 hours ago, candyflip said:

I agree with everyone above - my stopping point personally was that the content would be too subjective...

Hi guys, thank you for your encouragement.

I have given this some serious consideration. I even thought of the individual's hearing abilities. For example, age, disabilities on hearing, audiophile or non-audiophile... etc, also how individual's interstests might affect the rating. No doubt any single reviews of anything is subjective. 

For the reviews, here is what I think:

An individual review/rating should be subjective. It should be based on the record played on an individual's system. No matters if it's a basic set up or a super high end system.

I would presume anyone who participates in the vinyl SQ database is:

1. An audiophile. 

2. Who really cares about the sound quality of a vinyl record

3. Someone who wants to rate a record honestly because it is: see point #2, what this person cares about, the SQ of a vinyl release.

(Otherwise, what is this person doing on a website dedicated to vinyl SQ? He could be a vinyl seller trying to influence the rating so he can sell more records? Or he could be a record label's spy trying to sabotage another label?)

As an audiophile, I would understand the ability of my system playbacks a record. For example, my system plays bass very tight but unable to do the low to the lowest. For the evaluation, I must consider this factor.

If the bass sounds the lowest I have heard on my system, I would comment on how well the bass is from this record. If the bass sounds muddy, I would assess if the cause is in the record or in my system.

However, we are reviewing the SQ of a record here and I believe all of us would be very critical about the differences. If a record sound goods on my system and I am completely satisfied with how it sounds, I would give its SQ a score of 100%.

For the users, this is how I see it:

Record A is released in 10,000 copies.

We would like to know how many copies of record A are sold but we do not.

We also know for sure that not everyone who has bought record A will rate its SQ on HIS on Vinyl.

For record A website gets:

1 rating - It's an individual's  subjective opinion.

I see this as a start but it's not helping me to decide either way.

10 ratings - It's a small group of people's subjective opinions.

If only 2 out of 10 people rated favourably.

I do not see this helpful but it's possible that I will get a poor SQ record.

If only 8 out of 10 people rated a record highly.

I will consider purchasing this record based on this rating.

I do not see this helpful but it's possible that I will get a good SQ record.

50 ratings - a bigger group of people's subjective opinions

If only 11 out of 50 people rated favourably.

I am cautious. I will only purchase this record because I like the music but I hope that I will get a record with good SQ.

I will not purchase the record without making sure I like the music though. 

If only 38 out of 50 people rated favourably.

I will purchase this record because I like the music. It is likely that I will get a good SQ record.

So my conclusion is, the more ratings HIS on Vinyl gets the more reliable the rating is. Anyhow, it serves as a guide although not a definitive one.

It would be more reliable rating if the rating shows:

8,854 ratings - Total score 98%

Much like a restaurant guide, I have been to a 10/10 rated restaurant and dislike the food. But I believe, unlike food, vinyl lovers can be more on the same page about a record sounds good or poor. 

I plan to show more detailed statistics on the website in the future, so users can do a detailed analysis. For example:

The number of people voted for good/bad mastering

The number of people voted for good/bad pressing

The number of people voted for noisy/quiet record

I really like to hear your thoughts on this, and send me your reviews now! Even just one from each person would be a great help! :) 

Max

Edited by Y B

Well, I got plllllenty of review in the wings... :)

The site looks terrific by the way - far better than I could ever dreamed of attempting.

Bravo.

(oh: p.s though I can't actually login.

Won't recognise my password, and when I try to reset, it says my link is invalid.

So I'm stuck...)

A few points from your notes above though:

1. Not everyone who uses the site will be an 'audiophile'.

Just as not everyone who uses Discogs is a 'record collector'.

You have an open site, on the internet. Any attempt to throttle your user base (I know your not trying, just making the point) is null and void.

2. Not everyone will care about the sound quality of a vinyl record - plenty will want to slam a particular label, a masterer (there are people who will want to jump all over Don Bartley for example simply because the wind has changed, or wish ill on Bilbo because they once had one bad pressing from him). There are no shortage of people with axes to grind, of all prescriptions, and they will find their way to you inevitably.

3. There will no doubt be a vocal minority who want to just trash an artist's repertoire, or worse, just get it plain wrong and talk about the quality of the album (songs/content), rather than the mastering, or the pressing itself. And there will be those who don't understand what a mastering is (despite your introductions), or the simple differences one can find in a different pressing (indeed  -they'll fight you on it!), but contribute anyway.

That all said, I'm with you.

Just do it anyway...there is great power in beginning something, despite it all.   :)

Edited by candyflip

Guest Y B
5 hours ago, Leinster Lad said:

Maybe include a link to the reviewed album on the Discogs database ? That way punters have another way of purchasing their desired version of the album.

Great idea. I will seek Discogs' permission.

p.s though I can't actually login.

Won't recognise my password, and when I try to reset, it says my link is invalid.

So I'm stuck...)

Yeah, I had trouble logging in as well once I'd 'set' my password. Teething problems?:unsure::)

Guest Y B

Well, I got plllllenty of review in the wings... :)

The site looks terrific by the way - far better than I could ever dreamed of attempting.

Bravo.

(oh: p.s though I can't actually login.

So I'm stuck...)

@candyflip, @stevoz & @Metametic. Apology for the signup errors, it should be fixed now though a step longer in the process.

Thank you for your support! Much appreciated.

Cheers,

Max

It looks great Max. What a great idea. We should maybe start a thread about your site on the Steve Hoffman forum. Also, wouldn't it be great if Discogs linked to your site so the traffic flows both ways?

I think the link up with Discogs is a great idea, it could really help increase the HIS Database traffic and accelerate review/ratings numbers, however, and tell me to shut up if your thinking I'm being too cynical:D, but are you sure Discogs aren't going to think "what a great idea!" (if indeed they haven't thought it already:P) and start their own vinyl sound database, realising the two way benefits to themselves?:unsure:  PS: I have no idea who runs Discogs, whether they are profit or non-profit, cooperative or business, so I am not casting aspersions on them in any way........just musing:wacko: and throwing it out there.:D

Edited by stevoz

Hi Max

Are you expected to type in all the pressing information?    Or is there an easier way?   If people have to type in all this info, I don't think many people will be doing that for too long. 

Discogs, as you now already has all pressing information at one's finger tips.

Discogs already has a section under each individual release/pressing,  a field where it can either be a review or comment.  There is nothing regarding sound quality and ratings based on user feedback thou.

If you can work out how to get all the pressings into your database or work with discogs on feeding from their database, I think it can be a very valuable site.

Edited by Metamatic

Guest Y B

9 hours ago, Metamatic said:

Hi Max

Are you expected to type in all the pressing information?    Or is there an easier way?   If people have to type in all this info, I don't think many people will be doing that for too long. 

9 hours ago, Metamatic said:

Discogs, as you now already has all pressing information at one's finger tips.

I thought of a link to discogs and back linking from them at the earlier stage of development and I intend to discuss with the site owner. But for the same reason stevoz pointed out I have decided to hold off and wait till HIS on Vinyl slightly better established.

I also think that it's nice to have all the information on the same page. The users can get the info right here and do not have to leave the website to find the info somewhere else. I will include a discogs link in the future for those who wants to confirm the release.

If any of you do not wish to fill in all the information, please include a link to Discogs.com of the album you wish to review with the 5 category of information below in your email (optional):

*Your rating for mastering:

*Your rating for pressing:

*Positives:

*Negatives:

*Surface noise:

a. Silent or dead quiet

b. Quiet or negligible

c. Minor random clicks & pops

d. Noisy & annoying

e. Sounds like firecrackers

*Important for identification (Optional)*

Please include the matrix info if it is not available on Discogs.com

*Matrix Side A:

*Matrix Side B:

*Matrix Side C:

*Matrix Side D:

10 hours ago, ochremoon said:

We should maybe start a thread about your site on the Steve Hoffman forum. 

Yes there is a lot of work to do to get the word out there. It would be greatly appreciated if someone could help with this. Posting on forums is always nicer if this topic is started by a member or visitor. :)

Edited by Y B

Guest Y B

Thank you for those who has shown your support by rating the albums and signing up. Please also comment, like or dislike the albums. Feedback on positives or negatives.

Cheers,

Max