Sign in to follow this  
cazzesman

Frustration with Classifieds that fall through

It's happened to me a few times on Gumtree and I was bloody ropeable!

Count yourself as lucky instead, for if a man's word can't be trusted, his product can't be totally trusted either.

21 hours ago, cazzesman said:

Sorry just having a minor vent.  :(

Twice over the past few months I have exchanged PM's with different Sellars.  A price has been agreed and a time set aside for the sale to occur.   Both sales were to be the next day after discussion.   Both times I even offered to pickup.  One agreed for the pickup and one said they would deliver. 

On both occasions I was informed by the Sellar at the 11th hour - Sorry the item has been sold.     

I am fully aware the Sellars can do whatever they like with their Item and 'money in the hand' trumps any conversation but................Having agreed to buy and make arrangements is different to 'I'll get back to you'.

The item will come up again on SNA (it was actually the same product both times which is quirky)  but the lack of communication is very disappointing.       I won't be supplying any feedback on either Sellar but I would be interested to know if this is a common thing on SNA or have I been just abit stiff.   

Regards Cazzesman

An ever diminishing quality these days.

I've agreed to sell and had the buyer itching to pay straight away to secure.  If I've agreed its yours then take your time to pay don't break your neck.  But then you can also get the ones that back out with buyer's remorse if you do that.

What's people's opinions on why we shouldn't share this feedback on the profile?

Jake, I think being able to put negative feedback on a members profile can open up a lot of potential for post-'arguenet'-discussion-malicious feedback.

I agree Daz, and more work for the moderators.

You can leave negative feedback already via the traders feedback page?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doesn't the feedback ask for a classifieds link? Doesn't that stop general feedback? Would be nice to know who's dealing shadily on the classifieds. 

Fair play in buying and selling  I think is mostly common sense and good manners.

For example:

Buyer 1. sends the Seller an offer message...they agree on a price and arrange pick up...shipping whatever...at this point the deal is done...it's a Gentleman's Agreement.

Buyer 2. subsequently sends the Seller an offer of the same $ value...the Seller informs Buyer 2. the sale is Pending Payment...Pending Pick Up etc.

The Seller confirms to Buyer 2. that if Buyer 1. defaults on the original agreement terms, then the Seller will be free to offer the item to Buyer 2. and so on.

Now what if this happens.... the Seller already has an agreement with Buyer 1.

and subsequently Buyer 2. or another buyer offer the Seller MORE than the agreed or asking price...Hmmm??

This now is where things get interesting!

What will or should the Seller do?

A. Tell the latter buyer the "Sale is Pending" to Buyer 1. and can not enter into any other arrangement unless Buyer 1. defaults...and there is Buyer 2. waiting in line

the Seller can go straight to Buyer 2. and sell the item if Buyer 1. defaults

OR if Buyer 1. defaults...the Seller can inform Buyer 2. that he can now buy the item and complete the transaction promptly or by a "certain date"

OR the Seller may decide to notify ALL other buyers that Buyer 1. has defaulted is not proceeding, and the item is back for sale...

And seeing there are "more than one buyer interested" in the same item, to be fair, the Seller will allow each buyer to have one chance to make their "highest offer" for the item for sale.

Highest Offer WINS!

The Seller has allowed everyone a fair and reasonable opportunity to buy the item and has disclosed to each Buyer the offer process...

Such as..." I will allow everyone to make their highest and final offer by not later than 8.00pm tomorrow evening

...after which the highest offer with the right payment/shipping terms will be accepted."

We all know nothing is always easy but maybe this type of approach could help to solve many problems in buying and selling....or at least most of the problems.

Good luck

(No I am not a Lawyer)

Edited by monaro8

I guess we just have to accept that some of us are buying and selling for a living or profit and some of us are just Audio nuts selling and buying things to upgrade or experiment.... 

35 minutes ago, monaro8 said:

Fair play in buying and selling  I think is mostly common sense and good manners.

For example:

Buyer 1. sends the Seller an offer message...they agree on a price and arrange pick up...shipping whatever...at this point the deal is done...it's a Gentleman's Agreement.

Buyer 2. subsequently sends the Seller an offer of the same $ value...the Seller informs Buyer 2. the sale is Pending Payment...Pending Pick Up etc.

The Seller confirms to Buyer 2. that if Buyer 1. defaults on the original agreement terms, then the Seller will be free to offer the item to Buyer 2. and so on.

Now what if this happens.... the Seller already has an agreement with Buyer 1.

and subsequently Buyer 2. or another buyer offer the Seller MORE than the agreed or asking price...Hmmm??

This now is where things get interesting!

What will or should the Seller do?

A. Tell the latter buyer the "Sale is Pending" to Buyer 1. and can not enter into any other arrangement unless Buyer 1. defaults...and there is Buyer 2. waiting in line

the Seller can go straight to Buyer 2. and sell the item if Buyer 1. defaults

OR if Buyer 1. defaults...the Seller can inform Buyer 2. that he can now buy the item and complete the transaction promptly or by a "certain date"

OR the Seller may decide to notify ALL other buyers that Buyer 1. has defaulted is not proceeding, and the item is back for sale...

And seeing there are "more than one buyer interested" in the same item, to be fair, the Seller will allow each buyer to have one chance to make their "highest offer" for the item for sale.

Highest Offer WINS!

The Seller has allowed everyone a fair and reasonable opportunity to buy the item and has disclosed to each Buyer the offer process...

Such as..." I will allow everyone to make their highest and final offer by not later than 8.00pm tomorrow evening

...after which the highest offer with the right payment/shipping terms will be accepted."

We all know nothing is always easy but maybe this type of approach could help to solve many problems in buying and selling....or at least most of the problems.

Good luck

(No I am not a Lawyer)

Good luck having that many buyers in our current climate.;)

I just go on who is next in line if the first buyer pulls out. That is if there is a next...

If you want to do a Auction, put in on ebay.

Fair comment Rob I agree.

The examples given relate to an SNA selling situation, not Ebay........[which is a whole new ball game I'm sure members would have even worse stories to tell]

Just some suggestions what a Seller may consider to do where there are more than one Buyer involved, and how the Seller may decide to handle negotiations with multiple Buyers.

There are no hard & fast rules here as to what a Seller should/must do or what a Buyer should/must do and each person has a different "point of view" as to what is right or wrong, fair or unfair.

Hopefully members will do the right thing and if they have made an agreement, they have spelled out this agreement between themselves, and will honour that agreement.

Have just read the opening thread, not going any further.

Gotta say that I've bought and sold stuff here on SNA.  Some Stuff I have I actually gave away and also hoped for a volunteering donation to SNA.  Nearly 100% of stuff I've bought have been very satisfying.  Yeah I have to admit it's in my nature to low ball you (sellers)  but most of the time I pay exactly what the buyer wants, in many cases it's better than retail but without the warranty.  But I didn't get on SNA to access the classified.   I got on SNA as a whole leaning experience and the best things that comes out of it is been able to make friends.  Friends who have a passion and a common interest to the hobby.  I've meet some awesome people here who are all in there best interest to get you better sound, it may not rock your boat but who cares, we are all different with different sets of ears.  I've been to GTG where hosts have  given up there time to compare products in a non sales environment.  You get to receive there opinions and have a great time.  You also get to know about members outside the hobby.  This is how I see the  SNA community.  

I have to say this, I've watched the classified closely, who doesn't, what I've notice is that even if you missed out on a purchased that you're keen on, there is always someone else letting go another exactly like it and sometimes you also receive notification from other members on something you are after,  so I'm not sure that shaming a seller in the feedback section is a good idea unless someone has decided to take the money and run...well that would be a different thing altogether.

IMHO, if you are not sure about an offer you should inform the potential buyer that you will leave the sale open for a further period, say a day, and if his/her offer is still the best you will consider it.

However, you then run the risk that the sale will fall through. 

There seems to be a lack of honour about these days.

Unfortunately,  I think your are right .