Sign in to follow this  
Fair Play

Technics FG Servo SL-23

Picked this up on the weekend for 50 bucks. Owner sold it because it was having trouble keeping speed.

Did some quick research and found two potential causes for speed issues with these. One was an easy fix - deoxit in the pitch control pots and one caused by "failed electrolytic capacitors on the speed control board" Souce: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/technics-sl-23-thoughts.496448/ .

I took a punt and bought it, sprayed it with the magic spray and it's all good :thumb:. It's now my main cave TT replacing my JVC QL-A2 for now. Happy days.

IMG_4442.JPGIMG_4443.JPGIMG_4441.JPGIMG_4444.JPG

thanks @dave1

It's not like I needed it, but the thrill of the chase got the better of me and I just couldn't resist a bargain! It's a nice solid little unit. Not a huge fan of the colour but hey when the lights are low, and the music is playing who really cares!

Nice find 

You cold always cover it with a nice iron on timber vernier. 

22 minutes ago, EV Cali said:

Nice find 

You cold always cover it with a nice iron on timber vernier. 

There's actually a nice black one on ebay atm - must say the I like the look of it and I don't imagine it would be that hard to respray it...although that would mean dismantling it and I don't have a good track record with putting stuff back together that I've pulled apart (unless it's my cars).

Black one on eBay...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/122215811995?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I like the Black better too.

The coating is probably just vinyl,  you could remove it with a heat gun or hair dryer .

Base is probably ply.

Once you have taken remaining glue off with turps it would be easy to spray it black.

You would need to dismantle it though.

I think it's chipboard actually but yes it's probably covered in vinyl... the gold colour will have to do for now. Maybe a project for another day. Until then I'll just listen to it. Maybe by then that colour will be really cool?

Looks like it's in very good condition....great pick up and easily fixed.

Not a bad turntable too.

Well done...:party

Thanks@monaro8. It's in great nik apart from some scuffs on the lid. Will have a go at buffing them out this weekend and may think about a cart upgrade at some stage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, I also own one of this, just wondering what is 'magic spray'? Do you have photo? And which part of the turntable that you spray it to? Many thanks.

Hi@Mintt

Spray is Deoxit which can be purchased from Jay Car cheaply. It's a contact cleaner for electronic equipment.

I flipped the TT, removed the base and sprayed into the underside of the pitch adjustment knobs and turned them back and forth many times.

Hi@Mintt

Spray is Deoxit which can be purchased from Jay Car cheaply. It's a contact cleaner for electronic equipment.

I flipped the TT, removed the base and sprayed into the underside of the pitch adjustment knobs and turned them back and forth many times.

Thanks. I will try it tomorrow