Sign in to follow this  
PKay

Resolving power cables do they really make a difference

I could hear a difference between a couple of cables using as blind a test as I could manage.

My findings were:

Shielded cables reduced high frequency noise affecting the treble. I later tested listening close to the speaker without playing anything and the amount of audible noise coming from the speakers (when nothing is playing) is much less with shielded cables. To me this suggests that noise from the power cable might be affecting my other cables, perhaps the speaker cables.

The Chord Power Chord had less perceived bass than the Isotek EVO3 Sequel for some reason, not sure why this would be as both are shielded and both are about the same price.

18 minutes ago, audio_file said:

I could hear a difference between a couple of cables using as blind a test as I could manage.

My findings were:

Shielded cables reduced high frequency noise affecting the treble. I later tested listening close to the speaker without playing anything and the amount of audible noise coming from the speakers (when nothing is playing) is much less with shielded cables. To me this suggests that noise from the power cable might be affecting my other cables, perhaps the speaker cables.

The Chord Power Chord had less perceived bass than the Isotek EVO3 Sequel for some reason, not sure why this would be as both are shielded and both are about the same price.

Comparing non-shielded to shielded is a no-brainer. It's the rest associated with power cables blinded that need proof. Did you compare the chord to the Isotek blinded?

7 hours ago, Ittaku said:

Comparing non-shielded to shielded is a no-brainer. It's the rest associated with power cables blinded that need proof. Did you compare the chord to the Isotek blinded?

Some who say there is no difference include shielded vs unshielded and say this makes no difference. That's why I mentioned it.

Someone who didn't know prices or names of any of the cables switched cables at random while I was in another room.

The cables were behind the rack and I couldn't see them.

All were played on the same system using the same demo CD.

This is as much of a blind test as I could manage at home, but it wasn't good enough for some critics. Others were happy with my test.

6 hours ago, audio_file said:

Some who say there is no difference include shielded vs unshielded and say this makes no difference. That's why I mentioned it.

Someone who didn't know prices or names of any of the cables switched cables at random while I was in another room.

The cables were behind the rack and I couldn't see them.

All were played on the same system using the same demo CD.

This is as much of a blind test as I could manage at home, but it wasn't good enough for some critics. Others were happy with my test.

Sounds good. Well done.

3 hours ago, Ittaku said:

Sounds good. Well done.

The four cables we tried were:

Standard black lead

Isotek EVO3 Premier

Isotek EVO3 Sequel

Chord Powerchord

I think  it does depend on the sensitivity of your equipment, and also the state of your building power (including other appliances that are running.

I notice much larger differences using my Naim Nait XS2 amplifier than I do with my Cyrus Pre2 Qx + Stereo 200 for example.

I have also compared with and without a filtered power board and using the same board in one building sounded the same to me, but in my apartment it made a difference.

As I said before I can hear a noise through the speakers even when nothing is playing, so I might just have more noise in my building than some others.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this