HT thoughts, rambles & looking for ideas

Hi all,

Let me start by saying I do tend to prattle on so sorry about that.

I've been lurking around reading all & picking up a little knowledge here & there. Not a lot of topic's in here I can reply to as I have no idea about half of this audio stuff lol, but hopefully that can change. I really do not have the time to sit & listen to music no matter how much I'd like to so the next best thing is to upgrade the movie setup. No one in my current circle has much of an idea on the HT subject other then JB or Harvey Norman's & until recently I was in the same boat. Ask me about keeping a slice of the Great Barrier reef in your lounge & then I could post till your sick of it lol. With 2 tanks in the room I'm kinda limited as to how extreme the noise can be also.

So I'm hoping people here can help me out with some advice, ideas, different directions, shopping spots in Melbourne or anything else that might be important. From reading a lot of comments here & online there are a few shops I will visit with an open mind but it sounds like service can be a bit hit & miss with some of them. I hate shopping at the best of times so I hope I'm having a good day when I venture out lol. It's so much easier to throw your card at the better half or one of the workers & say "go buy me one of these" I'm not the most politically correct kid on the block when it comes to being ignored or looked at sideways :)

So here's my shopping list so far, feel free to tell me I've got it wrong or could throw in.

Pre-amp -

Yamaha CX-A5100 Adventage 11ch

Amps -

Emotiva XPA Gen3 7ch & 5ch

Elektra HD2 7ch & 5ch (I'm leaning towards this pair)

I was going to just go the Yamaha MX-A5000 but figured a bit more oomph can't be a bad thing

Main speakers -

Richter Dragons - I remember hearing these in the early 90's & it's stuck with me lol, could be I'm imagining better then reality so long ago.

Focal Aria 936 - Lots of good reviews & threads about them

Sonus Faber Venere3 - Again I remember hearing the Grand Piano's when I brought a Yamaha RX-V2095. Leaning towards this pair

DVD -

Yamaha BD-A1060

XLR cables -

No idea needing so many

Speaker cables -

Picking up a few here & there to try a few variations.

That's about as far as I have got so far.

I did pick up a Thor PS10 from a member here. A pair of Osborn speaker cables & some Zu RCA's from other members here. Not hooked up, just put into the pile of stuff to try. About the only time CD's get played here is on the weekend while I'm playing in the tank, it's just background noise during the day, for that reason the ole Sony 200 CD stacker comes into play with the Zu cables lol. Overkill? Ah well. I need a new cabinet for it all & the one I have now is to small for the TV so currently DIY'ing a 2100 long stand for it all. Hopefully have that done in a few weeks.

I probably bored you all so I'll stop here. Thanks for reading if you made it this far lol :)

Here is my Elektra 3 channel for sale, you can get it upgraded to 7 or 5. 

I have the Richter Dragons 4, incredible speakers. May want to test the mark 5 version though as there has been some mixed thoughts on them.

Can't go really wrong with any of the gear there.

The richter from the 90s were pretty good, I don't think any richter since have been a patch on them.. you'll get benefit from an amp like the elektra even with an avr feeding and with the Richter's....I did. Can you better on speakers and an avr feeding. Yes ... I did.

id do in steps, get stuff can build on. Just one elektra, follow with pre, upgrade mains or centre, upgrade sub. That's the core rest do slowly as budget allows.

places in Melb ? Audio trends, Carlton audio visual, Tivoli, cleff are few can recommend :)

Hi Ken,

I used to have 4 tanks (2 marines and 2 freshwater) in the living room and listened to ear-deafening EDM most weekends and no problem at all, and I think it would take a lot more dB and 1 Thor to do damage to the glass so nothing to worry there.

You won't get as much response here about HT and AVR (Receiver) as stereo stuff but if you state your budget, room size, media source, etc then some resident experts might be able to give some advice.

If you haven't got an AVR then this might be a good option, latest bells and whistles

Plenty of speakers are currently for sale here in the Classifieds section too.

Since you're mainly focusing on HT then I think the simplest would be:

media source (computer/bluray/dvd player) via hdmi to avr

avr to tv/projector via hdmi

avr to speakers via standard 12-14 gauge wire

Make sure the avr have pre-outs for all channels if you're to use an external power amp (elektra, emotiva) in the future.

Have fun,

Steven

Thank you gents, :)

Hi Dan, I did see you amp in t classifieds & thought to myself if only h was in Vic lol. Also heard that the Mk5 are not so good compared to the others. Love the look of the Mk4 but can't find any about.

Hi Al, I'm thinking I might go the Sonus for mains mate. Hopefully find a store that has them setup & go in for a look see. I like steps, was planning to grab the pre-amp first & use the current avr's as amp only until I grab an Elektra. Then mains, then another Elektra. I haven't thought any further then that for the moment. I dragged out the old Yamaha RX-V2095 & still have a RX-V2065 hooked up now.

2095 4.jpg

I will also check out the stores you have listed, thanks for that :)

Hi Steven, 4 tanks would have kept you amused on the weekend lol. We only have 2 tanks in the room but they total 6000ltrs so not tanking any chances, 4000ltrs of salt water going through the place is something I do not want to deal with lol.

Thanks for the heads up on the avr reply's in here, I did think that which is why I haven't posted it earlier. Ahh well that will learn me huh. I've started now so no going back or searching for any other forum, I'll just lurk around lol.

As for room size, I'm pretty sure we have one of the worst rooms around for audio lol. I've attached a very quick paint thingy of the ground floor. As you can see the ground floor is just a wide open space. The 4.5m square bit is where it will all be setup.

open floor plan.jpg

As for budget, umm, lets not go there as chooken will prob read this & she will try to put the brakes on lol. I figure if each bit is around the 3-4k mark it doesn't sound as bad? Mains I'm happy to go a bit more. Media will be the Yamaha bluray listed above, Xbox 360 & oneS, normal TV & CD's, that's about it I think.

I keep an eye on the classifieds most days when I can. I've picked up a couple of bits. Picked up a pair of Osborn datalink speaker cables last weekend. After finding the webpage I think I might run that for all the speakers. I like Aussie made & local is just a bonus. He is only about 20mins from here lol.

I told you I prattle on :)

18 hours ago, Synodontis said:

Love the look of the Mk4 but can't find any about.

I love the look of them too, the way they slop backs hahhhh. I think I get the last pair from Len Wallis last year, they have some listed at Lifestlye store but I think they just haven't updated their webpage. I think Richter were mad from getting away from that unique design and going for a boring square box.

sounds like you're on top of it already.

room doesn't look too bad I think, plenty of room behind too

$3-4k for each you'll have no problem finding one here, if any there's too many to choose from...

can't really recommend any though, my knowledge is very limited

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the input gent's.

I finished off the new stand & I'm happy enough with it. Total cost inc a couple of cheap Ryobi power tools was around the $700 mark which I reckon isn't to bad for a solid 26mm Victorian Ash stand 2100 long & 600mm deep :)

bare stand inside.jpg

inside start loading.jpg

I picked up the Yamaha CX-A5100 & Yamaha BD-A1060 Bluray last week after a PM from a member here pointed me in the right direction. XLR cables should be on the way next week once they have been made & labeled. Should order an Electra 7ch amp next week, but if the good cook isn't with me I might grab them both lol, easier to say "sorry sweetpea" then get approval in the first place :)

• Like 2