FS: Regen USB Amber as new in box

Guest scumbag

Guest scumbag
SOLD

Item: Regen USB Amber as new in box

Price: $170 + postage at cost (prepaid 1kg satchel is $8.50)

Item Condition: Perfect

Reason for selling: Selling for a mate - was using with a high quality DAC and thought there was not enough benefit to warrant keeping it. I tried it with my Auralic Mini and felt the same. Worked brilliantly with a crappy laptop though so will do wonders on a not so clean system (squeezebox, MAC etc).

Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only

Extra Info: In original box with USB Male to USB Female adaptor and short USB cable. Original power supply. 

Pictures: You know what these look like!

Manufacturers site

Stereophile Review

Blurb:

The USB REGEN takes the digital audio stream from your computer or other music streaming device, and generates a completely new USB data signal to feed to your DAC.  It accomplishes this by combining a carefully chosen USB hub chip with an ultra low-noise regulator and low-jitter clock.  Importantly, it does so with ideal impedance matching—right at the input of your DAC.

If you are familiar with the variations in sound quality that come from different computer configurations, USB cables, and power supplies (no, "bits are bits" really does not apply when pursuing the audio summit), then you will immediately recognize the often dramatic effect that the REGEN can have on the the connection you feel with the music.

Although the REGEN does not eliminate all sound quality differences between USB cables in a high-end system, it significantly reduces those differences. John Swenson has written about how the PHY chips and processors at the input of every USB DAC (even those with galvanic isolation) are sensitive to "packet noise modulation" and ground-plane noise—caused by poor signal integrityand impedance mis-matching.  Every USB audio source (computer or streamer) and cable causes this, every DAC is affected by this—and the REGEN is the cure.

The USB REGEN's secondary function is that it disconnects the computer's noisy 5 volt bus power coming down the USB cable, and provides clean 5VBUS on its output--for DACs that need it—via a second ultra low-noise regulator.

From all the time we have spent listening to the REGEN in our systems we can say that it is exceeding our expectations. Often it sounds like you are listening to a different DAC! Of course the benefit will vary with each computer/DAC system, but we hear positive differences even with very modest systems. The improvement is different than with a power supply or computer optimizations—but perhaps larger.

Regardless of whether you are feeding your USB DAC from a from a stock computer, a fully-optimized music server, or a streamer/renderer (Auralic Aries, Bryston, Moon Audio, SOtM sMS-100, etc.), the REGEN has the potential to carry your music system to a new level.

I am also going to throw in a battery bank with the Regen. This is a 8 bank plastic battery enclosure with on/off switch and a 5.5mm power lead. It holds 8 AA cells and supplies DC to the Regen in place of the power supply that comes with it. If you use 8 rechargable Lithium Ion batteries then you get 12volts, which is perfect for the Regen. Amp's is fine too. I have been using it with some rechargable AA Lithium Ion cells that I got quite cheap on Ebay. You can also use Life-PO as well but they are more expensive and require a special charger though voltage will be higher which the Regen can accommodate. Life-PO retains it's voltage for longer than Lithium Ion. I have run the Regen off the Lithium Ion battery for several days and it has not needed to be charged which is convenient.

So another cheapish option if you want to experiment with running the Regen or any other device with a 5.5mm DC power socket that will accept a range of volts. "Batteries not included".

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Battery-Holder-8-AA-Case-12V-Portable-DC-5-5mm-Power-Supply-For-Led-Strips-CCTV-/261559363182

Example of some batteries that will work in this application - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Energizer-Rechargeable-Batteries-AA-8-Pack-/222259046223?hash=item33bfabe74f:g:6NIAAOSwgHZYC6xk

Mark

20161107_114826(0).jpg20161107_114700.jpg20161107_114733.jpg20161107_114745.jpg20161107_114754.jpg

Edited by scumbag
photos added

Guest scumbag
7 minutes ago, GAM said:

Would like to see pics of the item being sold .
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll be back in the office on Monday. I'll take pictures then. They will look pretty much like the stock images, except my camera is crap.........

Guest scumbag
On 06/11/2016 at 10:59 AM, GAM said:

Would like to see pics of the item being sold .
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Added now.

Guest scumbag

Hello,

The idea of the Regen is to fix up the stream of PCM encoded music from a device to a DAC and to provide galvanic isolation. If I understand you correctly, you are talking about using it between an HDD and your device so in that case, no I can't imagine that the Regen would be of any benefit. If you were using an external DAC being fed from the CXU then yes, I think the Regen could be of benefit.

Mark

Guest scumbag

Or you could give yourself the option of USB with the regen. But if you are happy with the coaxial solution then the Regen is not required.

Mark