Sign in to follow this  
stevoz

'Thriller' re-releases......any ideas?

heard a later japanese pressing with the mj co-producer credit.

mediocre !

side 1 is dull and plodding, side 2 the same plus a bit brighter.

off to find an early copy...

I have a Japanese Epic/Sony 1982 release I bought in Kyoto which is very, very good (unlike the CD of the same vintage which is unlistenable due to its harshness). I have a couple of good MOV rereleases and quite a few mediocre ones. When I say mediocre, I mean that they fail to capture the essence of the original release, either through altered sound or dynamics, or over zealous hands on the mastering EQ. To be fair to MOV, I am sure sometimes the best available tapes have not faired all that well, either due to poor storage conditions, or due the dreaded binder cancer that afflicted many, many recording tapes manufactured with urethane binder in the '80s.

thanks for the link.

my some of those are pricey !

i've got an early copy lined up ;)

12 hours ago, michaelw said:

heard a later japanese pressing with the mj co-producer credit.

mediocre !

side 1 is dull and plodding, side 2 the same plus a bit brighter.

off to find an early copy...

Annoying how something can be stuffed up. It's almost impossible to imagine Thriller being dull and plodding. The day I fail to start tapping my feet and pulling a funny grooving face when Wanna Be Starting Something kicks in to open the album is the day they lower me 6 foot down in a wooden box.

I've just had a look at my album, it's an Aussie pressing with MJ as the co-producer which a few here seem to have. If it does get better than this as others have mentioned them i wouldn't half want to hear it as I find mine a corker.

personally i never found thriller to be at that well recorded, maybe a notch or two above most '80s dreck, certainly nowhere near the heights achieved by avalon or love over gold.

not even as good sounding as off the wall.

thriller has always been about the well crafted music.

having obtained an early jpn pressing with no mj co-producer credit, it sounds much better than the later jpn i had.

tonal balance is closer to neutral. more coherent from side to side.

there's more openness with mj gaining in dimensionality.

the plodding nature replaced with infectious foot tapping goodness.

overall, not bad  :D

6 hours ago, michaelw said:

personally i never found thriller to be at that well recorded, maybe a notch or two above most '80s dreck, certainly nowhere near the heights achieved by avalon or love over gold.

not even as good sounding as off the wall.

thriller has always been about the well crafted music.

having obtained an early jpn pressing with no mj co-producer credit, it sounds much better than the later jpn i had.

tonal balance is closer to neutral. more coherent from side to side.

there's more openness with mj gaining in dimensionality.

the plodding nature replaced with infectious foot tapping goodness.

overall, not bad  :D

Depends on which releases you've heard I suppose......the general opinion from what I've read here and elsewhere is that US or Dutch 1st pressing (no MJ co-producer credit) is the way to go. I have a Dutch 1st and it is stunning. One of my 'go to' LP's for reference SQ actually, especially Billie Jean, Thriller, Beat It and PYT, those songs in particular sound outstanding.:thumb::)

I heard the exact same sentiment from a dj friend of mine this evening. According to him, it was rubbish from the start, and only got worse - the mixing/mastering/recording that is, not the quality of the music as such.

7 hours ago, captain.j said:

I heard the exact same sentiment from a dj friend of mine this evening. According to him, it was rubbish from the start, and only got worse - the mixing/mastering/recording that is, not the quality of the music as such.

No way is Thriller a rubbish recording. I would agree that Off The Wall is a better production but rubbish? Absolutely not.

10 hours ago, Hergest said:

No way is Thriller a rubbish recording. I would agree that Off The Wall is a better production but rubbish? Absolutely not.

I'm with you on this one, Hergest. As I said above, my copy sounds awesome! Approaching reference SQ. I think captain.j's 'DJ friend' has a chip on his shoulder......:unsure:

Edited by stevoz

On 24/12/2016 at 0:41 PM, astormsau said:

My Japanese pressing arrived yesterday. A quick clean and it's playing beautifully. Following observations vs the MJJ repress.

Vocals are a little more pronounced in a good way.
Bass is a bit tighter.
Less surface noise.

In all areas we are talking percentage points. Bang for buck at $23 on sale from JB, the MJJ 2016 represents great value for money.

Merry Xmas everyone
Drew!

:)

59559de2cd847536409116a650e20a19.jpg8875c99836b841971da59152aa1c1499.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Score! -I got hold of a Jap press, perhaps similar to this and its the best version I have heard. It's a keeper!

1 hour ago, tellmidd said:

Score! -I got hold of a Jap press, perhaps similar to this and its the best version I have heard. It's a keeper!

Very nice! The store.acousticsounds.com DSD download is really good too - I prefer it a lot more than the HDTracks version. The Jap CD 1st pressing is just as fun too. Not a fan of many of the other re-releases unfortunately. So is early vinyl !

Same goes with Off the Wall CD's I thought, although the HDTracks version of Off The Wall sounds really good.