'Thriller' re-releases......any ideas?

I was thinking of getting a copy of Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' on vinyl and have noticed there is available, a remastered re-release on 'Music on Vinyl' from 2009 and a re-release on Epic from this year, but no mention of remastered, and then there is of course original pressings. Has anyone had experience with either of the newer releases and if so, how do they compare to an original pressing? Cheers...

I can only tell you about "Dangerous" from MOV, I personally find it sounds fantastic! To be honest, I've only run across one re-release which sounds cr@p bad to my ears. All others sound pretty good to me (Beatles, Pink Floyd, Queen, etc). Dangerous is the only MJ re-release I have, the rest I bought second hand.

6 minutes ago, betocool said:

I can only tell you about "Dangerous" from MOV, I personally find it sounds fantastic! To be honest, I've only run across one re-release which sounds cr@p bad to my ears. All others sound pretty good to me (Beatles, Pink Floyd, Queen, etc). Dangerous is the only MJ re-release I have, the rest I bought second hand.

Is your MOV 'Dangerous' remastered(most likely is:)), and do you have the original of 'Thriller', and if so, how does it sound compared to your copy of 'Dangerous'? Cheers...

I haven't looked about Dangerous, but as you say, it's a safe bet that it is.

I do have an original Thriller I bought here a while ago. It's difficult to compare to be honest, both are different beasts. I find Dangerous a bit more 'airy' or 'space', like a grander soundstage, without being boomy. As for Thriller, I find it is very punchy and dry (and that fits very well to each of them in my book).

I find Thriller a very hot, as in loud, mastering, comparing to other records I own. Same experience with a Thriller 1991 CD, bloody loud compared to other records of the time (and still is). The Thriller record, given its age, is more noisy as well than Dangerous. As for the mastering, both are keepers. I don't think Dangerous has been ultra compressed.

If I'd had my choice of getting Thriller as a reissue, I would have, just I never saw one. I saw one from Bad some time ago, but it was some sort of special edition with ultra tracks and whatnot, and I really just want the record to listen to. As it stands, I bought a Bad from the classifieds just a few days ago.

So far, happy with my choices. I'd still be curious to listen to a reissue Thriller though, only because I reckon noise levels would be lower.

That's my 2 bob's worth.

• Like 1

I have the following;

Michael Jackson - Dangerous (Music On Vinyl, Epic - MOVLP072, 88697686291)

Michael Jackson - Thriller (Epic - ELPS 4328)

Michael Jackson - Bad (Epic - 450290 1)

Dangerous was about $70 new from JB. It's okay but the treble is a little over cooked as though it's been mastered hot which can lead to it being a bit fatiguing.

The other two are basic Aussie pressings and sound okay when clean. Thriller is a little dry and lacks upper end sparkle. Bad is a little 90's sounding - lacking a bit of bass and the top end is a bit dry. I love thriller as an album and often wondered as you have about the repress.

The music on vinyl MOVLP014 has 4.5/5 stars on Discogs.

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MOV have more crap sounding records than good ones. I pretty much avoid them for everything.

The production and mastering of Thriller is absolutely fantastic so I can't see there being a bad pressing or how MOV could have screwed it up.

I would go for an original Japanese pressing as they are fantastic pressings and use the same US master. As mentioned the MOV is probably decent but they are too inconsistent.

• Like 2

Now I'm really confused....I was tossing up b/w a NM Canadian 3rd pressing from 1982 (the year of release) and the MoV remaster from 2009 (new). I read on another audio website forum (can't remember which one, I checked a few!) that the first two pressings of '82 in the US and I presume Canada, had only Quincy Jones listed on the credits as producer and were excellent pressings. The third pressings of that year had Michael Jackson listed as 'co-producer' with Quincy J and were not as good, something to do with pushing the pressing master discs too far. Let's face it, there were a lots of 'Thriller' pressed! So I decided against the original Canadian pressing because after researching Discogs, I saw from it's catalogue no. it was indeed a third pressing with MJ on the credits as co-producer. The last few comments/posts now have me wary of the MoV release as well.:unsure: I'm now thinking I might just wait for a first pressing to become available and be done with the re-releases and later original pressings......;)......and am also wishing I had just bought it way back in 1982!!:P

This is the pressing I was recommending:

https://www.discogs.com/Michael-Jackson-Thriller/release/593997

Just a quick look and you can get one landed in Near Mint condition for $33USD. I just checked my copy and it only has Quincy Jones in the credits on the rear sleeve.

I tend to gravitate towards Japanese pressings that use the original master. Every Japanese record I have bought has had virtually no surface noise and a nice flat press. They also seem to take care of there records.

• Like 2

On 31 October 2016 at 0:34 AM, stevoz said:

I was thinking of getting a copy of Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' on vinyl and have noticed there is available, a remastered re-release on 'Music on Vinyl' from 2009 and a re-release on Epic from this year, but no mention of remastered, and then there is of course original pressings. Has anyone had experience with either of the newer releases and if so, how do they compare to an original pressing? Cheers...

Maybe check with @candyflip - he seems to have a wealth of knowledge about different pressings and is happy to share his thoughts. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

How much?

4 minutes ago, kand said:

You could always buy my original release almost mint copy....;)

Yes please! How much, with postage to Victoria?:) As in 'original', which means only Quincy Jones is listed as producer?:D Cheers...

I've just seen NM 'original' pressings on Ebay for $28, $30, $33 and $40, not including postage, but have no way to check if they're actual originals ie; with QJ listed as sole producer (or should that be 'soul' producer?:D). Cheers...

23 minutes ago, kand said:

If you like Quincy( who doesn't) check out " Walking in Space".  Verve 314 543 499-2

It's not so much that, although I will check that release out, I do like certain soul, it's more that if QJ is listed as sole producer, it guarantees it is a first run original, when the pressing master discs were at their best. Later runs, where the covers had MJ added as 'co-producer' were sometimes not so good, SQ wise, apparently.:thumb:

Just checked out samples of QJ's Walking in Space and while it's a bit too jazz and not enough soul/funk for me, I'm intrigued as to how it would sound on my system.....mmm.:) I believe it has been re-issued as well.

Edited by stevoz

The copy I have is the original Aust release.  I got it new.  I wheel it out about once every 5 years.  The last time it was played when Michael moved on.  The sonics are amazing but having grown up with Billy jean etc on high rotation in the 80's...I'm over it.

Thriller01.jpg

Thriller02.jpg

• Like 1