Douk Phono Stage - EAR834P clone/copy

8 minutes ago, eltech said:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/79452-building-ultimate-nos-dac-using-tda1541a-503.html#post3920920

I've swapped RCA sockets plenty of times and heard differences but cant say that its been "better".

these days I like to think logically not emotionally about these things. I'm very confident saying RCA sockets sound different, but to say one is better than another is not something I can say with confidence

I work on logic, when I replaced the sockets the amount of extra audio information was impossible to ignore, less distortion and greater transparency in this case.

For me to ignore the result would be illogical, and would then be motivated by emotion.

3 minutes ago, MattyW said:

Makes sense that a thinner socket would be better electrically. I daresay they'd just lack physical strength.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Look at the electrical properties of tin compared to other metals, resistance and conductivity.

https://www.thebalance.com/electrical-conductivity-in-metals-2340117

Edited by Muon

15 minutes ago, Muon said:

If it works I'll use it, in my case lumps of gold plated brass are a bottleneck, tellurium copper ETI sockets I found made and audible difference to my phono stage, in my system.

Tin? maybe it works better for him than what it replaced, I'm surely not doubting it.

Her is a video of his DAC and SSD player using his 3.5mm connectors, and his speakers

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/79452-building-ultimate-nos-dac-using-tda1541a-573.html#post4767440

Of course it sounds like shite and what would he know, hes only a lowly electronics engineer

https://www.ecdesigns.nl/

Edited by eltech

10 minutes ago, eltech said:

Her is a video of his DAC and SSD player using his 3.5mm connectors

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/79452-building-ultimate-nos-dac-using-tda1541a-573.html#post4767440

Of course it sounds like shite and what would he know, hes only a lowly electronics engineer

https://www.ecdesigns.nl/

Does it sound like shite?

I didn't think it was that bad. Sounded OK to me considering It's a youtube vid..

Edited by Muon
Typo

4 minutes ago, Muon said:

Does it sound like shite?

Nope, it sounds great! That was sarcasm. I couldnt find the sarcasm emoticon (emoji)

If you read the link to DiyAudio the quote about that video was

"
“After the theory it’s time for music. Gordon selected a set of 5 audio tracks. And what happens? Almost total silence in the audience during all 5 audio tracks. This set managed to touch us. The sound can be described (in my own words) as controlled, very large sound stage, exact focus, and fast, especially fast. It’s as if the music is released and all barriers that still appear to exist are gone.”

Edited by eltech
  • Like 1

Just now, eltech said:

Nope sounds great. Was sarcasm. Couldnt find the sarcasm emoticon (emoji)

Now it makes sense :)

Not the sound I aim for, but yeah....sound pretty good. If it were what I aim for, I would be saying great also.

As you know one sound does not suit all punters.

Well, anything on YouTube sounds like shite anyway. The compression is a killer. I'm always amused by audio reviews on YouTube.... And people recording their gear on there.... Not to mention that recording gear adds its own signature to the sound even before the YouTube compression..... And playback gear changes it yet further..... ;)

I think we should leave it there, rather than debate what s not worth debating.

Be happy with the view you have, and I'll form my own view as well :)

Hmmmm, I've certainly ripped the connections from my Yaqin MC10T amp by accident before. I managed to put it back on though ;)

I think there may be a difference between cheap and thin. Bypassing the PCB may make a difference though in my case I think the speakers will be a limiting factor before that's necessary :)

I go away to the workbench for 90 minutes and this place turns into a chatroom :P

Here is Douk, now named Van Gogh, de-EARed and very satisfactorily Bursonalised ;)

bursonalised.jpg

The text was fairly solid paint sitting on top of clear lacquer. Nothing in my solvent amoury touched it. The wet & dry moved it quick though. Then spent most of the time sanding off the lacquer. Finished it up by dragging it across some 180 grade sandpaper, which gave a very acceptable horizontal brushed finish. Matching the Burson stuff perfectly. Need new knobs now.

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, Muon said:

I think we should leave it there, rather than debate what s not worth debating.

Be happy with the view you have, and I'll form my own view as well :)

Sure. I just thought your comment "Not the sound I aim for" was a bit weird since it was a youtube video, and considering it was a video, it sounded pretty good. I don't know how you can say its not what you aim for since it was pretty hifi sounding. Just left me wondering what you aim for. It was a question, not a criticism. thats all.

11 minutes ago, eltech said:

Sure. I just thought your comment "Not the sound I aim for" was a bit weird since it was a youtube video, and considering it was a video, it sounded pretty good. I don't know how you can say its not what you aim for since it was pretty hifi sounding. Just left me wondering what you aim for. It was a question, not a criticism. thats all.

That's just it!

I can't form an proper opinion well when it is a youtube vid, comes across as stark sounding and I don't know if it sounds that way or if It's the vid. As Mario would say, too hifi. I like a more organic sound. But It's impossible to know what that really sounded like in the room.

I go away to the workbench for 90 minutes and this place turns into a chatroom [emoji14]

Here is Douk, now named Van Gogh, de-EARed and very satisfactorily Bursonalised [emoji6]

bursonalised.jpg

The text was fairly solid paint sitting on top of clear lacquer. Nothing in my solvent amoury touched it. The wet & dry moved it quick though. Then spent most of the time sanding off the lacquer. Finished it up by dragging it across some 180 grade sandpaper, which gave a very acceptable horizontal brushed finish. Matching the Burson stuff perfectly. Need new knobs now.

Work, that looks awesome. Itching to do mine now ;)

By the way, what is the amp next to it? Love it's understated good looks.

I'm guessing that the turntable on top isn't the Sherwood turntable it appears from the picture otherwise it would be holding your systems performance back quite badly.

53 minutes ago, MattyW said:

Work, that looks awesome. Itching to do mine now ;)

By the way, what is the amp next to it? Love it's understated good looks.

I'm guessing that the turntable on top isn't the Sherwood turntable it appears from the picture otherwise it would be holding your systems performance back quite badly.

Burson Conductor Virtuoso. Used for all its functions including as my pre-amp. 

https://www.bursonaudio.com/products/conductor/

Turntable is a Technics SL1200 Mk1.

• Like 1

Aha, I figured it wasn't the Sherwood. It springs to mind whenever I see a silver turntable as my first deck was a cheapie Sherwood.

The system looks fantastic. All matching components. :)

Been playing around with the tubes I already have at home, courtesy of my Fender Champ guitar amp. 2x Tung-Sol 12AX7 (low use) and 2x vintage Fender/GE 12AX7A.

Also been reading way too much on forums about people's opinions on what valve does what and which tubes are worth trying in EAR834Ps and clone circuits. After collating 4,284 varied opinions, I made this diagram of the general consensus. Of course I expect my clone to have varied circuitry and components to add to the mix. Happy to have any alternate opinions.

Douk Valves.JPG

Out of the box, the unit was fitted with 3x JJ ECC83S (12AX7), which I though sounded quite good immediately. Plenty of detail and the 3D soundstage.

Next was V1=TungSol, V2=TungSol, V3=JJ. This was disappointing. The dynamic range moved down and darker. More bass and less treble.

Currently, V1=TungSol, V2=GE, V3=JJ. Thought the RIAA equalisation was maybe being messed with, so changed out only V2. This immediately improved some sparkle to the sound, so I will hang with this for a bit.

I’ve ordered some current production tubes that get good reviews compared to cost. Sovtek 12AX7LPS (long plate) and Sovtek 5751 (long plate).  Just to have a cheap play.

What valves are you running @MattyW @Muon ?

• Like 1

Been playing around with the tubes I already have at home, courtesy of my Fender Champ guitar amp. 2x Tung-Sol 12AX7 (low use) and 2x vintage Fender/GE 12AX7A.

Also been reading way too much on forums about people's opinions on what valve does what and which tubes are worth trying in EAR834Ps and clone circuits. After collating 4,284 varied opinions, I made this diagram of the general consensus. Of course I expect my clone to have varied circuitry and components to add to the mix. Happy to have any alternate opinions.

Douk Valves.JPG

Out of the box, the unit was fitted with 3x JJ ECC83S (12AX7), which I though sounded quite good immediately. Plenty of detail and the 3D soundstage.

Next was V1=TungSol, V2=TungSol, V3=JJ. This was disappointing. The dynamic range moved down and darker. More bass and less treble.

Currently, V1=TungSol, V2=GE, V3=JJ. Thought the RIAA equalisation was maybe being messed with, so changed out only V2. This immediately improved some sparkle to the sound, so I will hang with this for a bit.

I’ve ordered some current production tubes that get good reviews compared to cost. Sovtek 12AX7LPS (long plate) and Sovtek 5751 (long plate).  Just to have a cheap play.

What valves are you running @MattyW @Muon ?

I'm currently running 1x Telefunken smooth grey plate 12AX7 in v1, and Raytheon Black Plate 12AX7 in v2 & v3 in my upstairs system. I run that choice as my upstairs speakers are very warm so the Raytheons give great tone and liquidity and the Telefunken gives better separation and 3 dimensionally without changing tone (Telefunken effectively makes both tone changes)

Downstairs I'm running Telefunken smooth grey plate in v1, Phillips Miniwatt in v2 and TJ Full Music in v3. Once more the Telefunken does its thing though the following two positions warm things up a bit.

None of these are cheap tubes unfortunately :(

Ian doesn't have an EAR 834P though his phono stage is loosely based on the circuit and runs some sought after 6h8c metal base Melz tubes. It's a better phono stage than the EAR 834P copy with much better build quality, and parts. ;)

• Like 2