Removing marks/dings from Aluminum Cone Speaker?

As the title says...

I bought the LS50 from a member here and it had a damaged cone (which i bought planning on replacing the damaged driver), but after further inspection I saw that the other driver had some marks/dings too. :(
I like things perfect and can't just leave them like this. 

Is there a way to remove small marks from aluminum cone speakers.

See photo for what I'm referring to. I would like to fix it myself.

I don't want to replace the whole driver just because of the marks as that will be too costly.

Small marks:

20161026_151905.jpg

This one I fixed by opening up and gently pushing it back as it was bent inwards. Once it was bent back into original place, it did create some streaks/marks

Before:

0e9e874ffd463f45e2c97588ef0edb09.jpg

After:

4032b7fae9913c54ecb5d3ea355c084b.jpg

Edited by Bruno28

Unlike ferrous metals Non-ferrous ( Aluminium and /or alloy's )  don't like to be "cold worked". You can end up making a bad situation even worse I'm afraid to say....

I should imagine the damage on the one you want to repair probably happened just by someone looking at it a little to long so to speak...;) as the cone micron thickness will not be all that great...

my advice is grab some Aluminium cooking foil ( which is very thin ) and the Aluminium seal from a can of Milo ( which is a little thicker ) replicate the damage from the driver to the Aluminium foil and seal , grab some Stainless Steel and/or rubber implements and practice your skills....you will be a while though so dont rush it....

good luck cheers Tase.

• Like 2

Leave them alone as the chances are high that you will make the damage  worse.  Aluminium is a soft material , and if you try to push out the dents the core material will stretch. The anodised surface is hard and will show fine cracking marks after the same procedure. It is not good news, but replacement  is your best option.

• Like 2

Good tips. Thanks.
Yeah maybe I should leave it alone. Cause I already managed to fix most of it. It's as good as I can get and better leave than maybe risking damage and needing 2 new drivers.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

With respect, we live in an imperfect world.  Learning acceptance of the imperfect will probably make your life less stressful.  I can understand wanting to have unmarked speakers.  But do you really want to be focusing on those visual imperfection you probably can't see from your listening chair, or would it be better to be putting your attention to the fantastic music they are reproducing?  Anyway, it's your choice.

• Like 2

With respect, we live in an imperfect world.  Learning acceptance of the imperfect will probably make your life less stressful.  I can understand wanting to have unmarked speakers.  But do you really want to be focusing on those visual imperfection you probably can't see from your listening chair, or would it be better to be putting your attention to the fantastic music they are reproducing?  Anyway, it's your choice.

Yeah I agree with that. But if something can be fixed with minimal costs, why not try?
But this is something that would take a lot of effort to get it perfect or could also ruin completely. So I'll learn to live with it.

• Like 1

is it a case of slight dings from physical impact or have these actually been over driven ? only ask as often seems to be the case with these speakers, where people seem to over drive them deforming the driver cones.

if over driven you probably want to get the driers replaced ? are the drivers expensive ?

is it a case of slight dings from physical impact or have these actually been over driven ? only ask as often seems to be the case with these speakers, where people seem to over drive them deforming the driver cones.

if over driven you probably want to get the driers replaced ? are the drivers expensive ?

The guy I got it from in stereonet said his son had pushed with fingers. It looks like physical impact not over driven. Small impacts. Here is a photo of someone who has overdriven and it was very different.

I'm still trying to find out the cost for a new driver. Some quoted $570 for one and another person had both replaced for $500. So there is a massive difference on price.

a6d7dcffa1632f5890eb8338db40d6e7.jpg

• Like 2

the last photo appears on my laptop screen as if there's significant distortion on the driver shape on the right hand side of the cone - as if the surround "held back" the outside of the cone and the voicecoil kept driving the inside and the cone "bent" - is that what I'm looking at am I mis-interpreting the photo ?

If that's the case then I'd call that major abuse or poor driver design or both - I realise the photo is not one of your drivers...

I've never considered that a driver cone could bend (and stay bent) like that - thumbs down for aluminium cones:(

The first photo is clearly the result of an impact - and like others above, I'd ignore it.

The 3rd photo "before" looks like a bulge "outwards" on my screen, not inwards, but you fixed it "mostly" looking at the 3rd photo "after" - so all good.

Neither of your photos looks like the last where the surround has held back the cone to "bend" the cone across a large area.

IMO as others have said - leave them alone.

I've just purchased my 1st aluminium coned sub driver - and staggered to see that last photo.

I've never seen a poly or paper cone woofer do that...

...I've had a few burned out voice coils - but never bent cones.

cheers

Mike

ps: given you don't have speaker grills - if you can see the cone damage from the listening chair, turn the lights down ;)

• Like 1

Guest jakeyb77

Would KEF not be able to supply a driver to install yourself?

I thought the guy that sold them said he'd had a quote for a couple of hundred?

Oh I see it's both drivers.  I clearly remember the ad only mentioned one speaker being damaged. Could you not return them, you know SNA good faith and all?

Edited by jakeyb77

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/10/2016 at 9:42 AM, Jakeyb77 said:

Would KEF not be able to supply a driver to install yourself?

I thought the guy that sold them said he'd had a quote for a couple of hundred?

Oh I see it's both drivers.  I clearly remember the ad only mentioned one speaker being damaged. Could you not return them, you know SNA good faith and all?

Ive even waiting for a quote on Australian distributor. Its been 2 weeks and nothing yet. I would install myself. One quote i got in Sydney was $570 for the driver only. Which is way too much.

I could return but i thought its too much hassle and having to lose $40 on posting it back isn't very good. Wish the seller could have at least refunded a bit to compensate for the mistake but he didn't do it voluntary so i didn't ask.

Edited by Bruno28

Guest jakeyb77
Ive even waiting for a quote on Australian distributor. Its been 2 weeks and nothing yet. I would install myself. One quote i got in Sydney was $570 for the driver only. Which is way too much.

I could return but i thought its too much hassle and having to lose $40 on posting it back isn't very good. Wish the seller could have at least refunded a bit to compensate for the mistake but he didn't do it voluntary so i didn't ask.

I'm sorry to hear that. I would be asking to send back at the seller's cost or at least I would want a return. If it was done on purpose then it's dishonest and goes against the spirit of how things are sold on here. If it was an honest mistake then the seller would have read this and should have been I touch. You didn't change your mind. You were sold a product different from the description. Hope it works out for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, Jakeyb77 said:

I'm sorry to hear that. I would be asking to send back at the seller's cost or at least I would want a return. If it was done on purpose then it's dishonest and goes against the spirit of how things are sold on here. If it was an honest mistake then the seller would have read this and should have been I touch. You didn't change your mind. You were sold a product different from the description. Hope it works out for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im sure it was honest mistake. I spoke to him as I noticed on his own selling photos but only after the item has been posted and was on its way. We both didn't know if it was just lighting or was with dings and when it arrived it was confirmed. 

Edited by Bruno28