Sign in to follow this  
Kaynin

Home Theatre amplification.

6 hours ago, Kaynin said:

Thanks mate.  So the integrated must have HT bypass?  I was thinking all I needed was pre-outs on the AVR L & R channels which run into the integrated then out to the speakers...

You want to avoid double volume control. Not sure myself what exactly a HT bypass is, but I think it would be similar to an integrated amp that has a direct power amp input.

7 hours ago, Kaynin said:

I've decided that if I go a multi channel amp then it will be an Elektra.

Looking at a 7 channel with Marantz 7701, but not sure if 2 channel will be up to scratch???

Another option is a 5 channel Elektra with an AVR processing and a nice integrated running L & R fronts.

Finally maybe a very nice integrated front fronts and an AVR only for the rest....

Ckeck out Blybo's Elektra pre for sale, with HT by-pass:thumb:

6 hours ago, Kaynin said:

Thanks mate.  So the integrated must have HT bypass?  I was thinking all I needed was pre-outs on the AVR L & R channels which run into the integrated then out to the speakers...

The two channel pre needs a HT bypass (input from the AVR L/R pre-outs).

Kayin you need to check it out, should come over.

34 minutes ago, joz said:

Ckeck out Blybo's Elektra pre for sale, with HT by-pass:thumb:

The two channel pre needs a HT bypass (input from the AVR L/R pre-outs).

Kayin you need to check it out, should come over.

Thanks for the offer Joz.  After today and having now spoken to a  couple of people I believe I'm going to run a new but older Marantz processor with a 7 channel HD Elektra.  The purpose of the lounge set-up coupled with that standard, I think, will work a treat.  Incorporating an integrated into that will be for the HT room!

9 hours ago, Kaynin said:

yes whether incorporating a 2ch integrated or a 2ch pre power into an av rig then yes will need a ht bypass on either the 2ch integrated or 2c pre. 

yes whether incorporating a 2ch integrated or a 2ch pre power into an av rig then yes will need a ht bypass on either the 2ch integrated or 2c pre. 

...or an integrated with pre-out/main-in loop, like many older NAD, Yamaha, Pioneer etc.

14 minutes ago, gcgreg said:

...or an integrated with pre-out/main-in loop, like many older NAD, Yamaha, Pioneer etc.

have owned an old nad but unfortunately with that have to be messing about with unplugging and plugging and taking link in and out, which isn't the most conducive in every day use swapping back and forth between 2ch and av use :) 

a much later nad m3 integrated I had also had the links but some investigation revealed that ht bypass was available with a firmware upgrade. most integrated amps and pre amps for that matter do come with the ht bypass functionality these days though. it might be called all sorts of things e.g. processor bypass, processor pass through. ht direct. power amp direct and all sorts of things. many makers e.g. cyrus, arcam and cambridge audio dont even make well know the feature is infact there. have had to convince a sales guy once the unit he was selling did indeed have it :D

10 hours ago, :) al said:

most integrated amps and pre amps for that matter do come with the ht bypass functionality these days

True but what I have found is only very few make it easy by naming the actual input "HT bypass" or even better I think Parasound are the only one that automatically switch to HT mode when the amp or pre is "off".

I own a previous flagship Denon but only because I had not heard this first.

***link removed**

Better than going separates in the sub 5k range

Edited by :) al
link containing malware removed

@bunno77  I hope you dont mind, I have removed a link in your previous post as it was linking to a site coming up with malware.

I think you were linking to the cx200 cambridge AVR. and I agree in the under $5k range an integrated unit can be a good option. eg the arcam 520 AVR I also linked to earlier.

however where separates can win here, is that unfortunately the pace of processing and tech there particularly around hdmi specs and such move on at a frightening rate...can be an annual event where whatever bought year earlier is outdated in a flash. and wiht separates it can mean you keep your nice amp stage and that can stay 7-10 years + as many do. while processing stages can come and go :) without having to throw baby out with the bath water which tend to have to do with avrs and selling off at a loss both processing and amp stage in the one hit.

having said that my previous processor in the denon was kept upto date by the maker for 8 years up until recently. Though  I guess for those not wanting to keep upto the very latest and greatest things like that can continue on to be used and there are often work arounds as well.

Yeah, spot on Al, I expect the Elektra to hang around for a long time, although I really don't intend on keeping this system up to speed with the latest and greatest tech - the processor will either be 1 or 2 generations old as it is - but anything more and it's just overkill for what we use it for.  The main thing is, I'm already coming from an AVR and I want to try separates.  It's like going from RCA's to XLR's, sometimes you just have to scratch that itch...  :)

@:) al   With your Marantz processor, how do you connect your external DAC?

I'm wondering how you would avoid the Marantz DAC being used downstream when listening to music...

Ive read the 7701 manual, I couldn't see this particular question answered.

Guest Sime

My separates HT has way more power than required. Not that I'm complaining lol

39 minutes ago, Kaynin said:

I'm wondering how you would avoid the Marantz DAC being used downstream when listening to music...

Just use DAC analog out into Marantz Analog in.

I use my Klien Dac with Denon AVR. I Have KODi openelec PC USB into Klien then into Denon analog in and PC HDMI into Denon HDMI same input as anolog ie Media Player input. All I do when watching anything with DTS, DD etc is select KODI passthrough to Denon and when I want to use DAC for 2 channel I just select Passthrough off so audio is sent to USB.

47 minutes ago, Kaynin said:

@:) al   With your Marantz processor, how do you connect your external DAC?

Ive read the 7701 manual, I couldn't see this particular question answered.

hi kaynin, in my case I run separate 2ch pre pwr and my dac feeds that. in your case if were running an av processor and wanted to avoid its internal dac...would need to run out of 2ch analog out from the dac to feed a 2ch analog input on the marantz 7701. also probably want to engage one of the "pure" modes on the marantz to avoid the digitisation and processing being employed...and which will avoid the marantz dac coming in play.

3 minutes ago, powerav said:

Just use DAC analog out into Marantz Analog in.

I use my Klien Dac with Denon AVR. I Have KODi openelec PC USB into Klien then into Denon analog in and PC HDMI into Denon HDMI same input as anolog ie Media Player input. All I do when watching anything with DTS, DD etc is select KODI passthrough to Denon and when I want to use DAC for 2 channel I just select Passthrough off so audio is sent to USB.

Yeah I was thinking this is at least how it would be done, I'd select Pure Direct mode.  But if there's a way to bypass the DAC altogether then I think I'd prefer that.

2 minutes ago, :) al said:

hi kaynin, in my case I run separate 2ch pre pwr and my dac feeds that. in your case if were running an av processor and wanted to avoid its internal dac...would need to run out of 2ch analog out from the dac to feed a 2ch analog input on the marantz 7701. also probably want to engage one of the "pure" modes on the marantz to avoid the digitisation and processing being employed...and which will avoid the marantz dac coming in play.

Yep, gotcha.  Thanks again.

Edit - was considering the use of the coaxial output on the DAC to the Marantz coaxial input, but I think that gets processed anyway and, as you've said, would just have to engage a Pure mode.

Edited by Kaynin

49 minutes ago, Sime said:

My separates HT has way more power than required. Not that I'm complaining lol

Exactly how it should be!  The Eclipses are very easy to drive, so the Elektra will have juice on tap...

Your Marantz should be as smart as my Denon, when I use external DAC it automatically goes into Direct mode.

1 minute ago, powerav said:

Your Marantz should be as smart as my Denon, when I use external DAC it automatically goes into Direct mode.

Awesome, I wasn't aware of that.

Or Pure Direct, whatever the last setting was.

it will remember whatever setting you choose. so just probably have to select pure direct etc for the first time and thats it. 

just check the main display though if it shows audyssey or any kind of post processing applied then it isn't pure enough...there are a few levels of engagement with this.

as a note though I would encourage to compare coax out from the source vs analog out from your stand alone dac. the dacs in the marantz are still pretty decent and might be surprised...or not :D never know till explore with this kind of thing :) 

Guest Sime

Use the EQ setting on the marantz instead of Audyssey, just let Audyssey set the EQ in the first place ;)

It all depends on the integrated amp you have.  I know certain models from Opera have a switch on the back that can turn an Opera solid state amp from an integrated amp to a power amp.  Luxman also have a few amps that has similar jumper settings that can turn their integrated amps to either a stereo preamp or as a power amp. 

2 minutes ago, Jliang70 said:

It all depends on the integrated amp you have.  I know certain models from Opera have a switch on the back that can turn an Opera solid state amp from an integrated amp to a power amp.  Luxman also have a few amps that has similar jumper settings that can turn their integrated amps to either a stereo preamp or as a power amp. 

It's the Reference 7 vacuum music player.

Hmmm, I can get a brand new Marantz AV7701 for $2,000 or brand new Marantz AV7702 mkii for $2,900.

After 4.5 years of living with this system, I doubt I'll ever need ATMOS or 11 channels of processing.  Never say never of course, but the purpose of the system just doesn't suit it.  Having said that, "never buy old technology"...