Home Theatre amplification.

By the way, the 8801-8802 arnt that bad for music. My 8801 is used 95% for music. 

Sounds alright to me. 

Not dissin what you have. Probably the best AV device you will get for music, and Kaynin will see an improvement from what he has. No doubt.
I'd love a 8802 for my HT room but can't afford it. It's not going to compete with similarly priced or even cheaper 2ch gear with HT bypass though, for 2ch performance, that's all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, Kaynin said:

I haven't even compared the Ref 7 with the 851N yet in any form.  The CA sits in the head-phone set-up, but I have thought about swapping it into the lounge room and the Ref 7 onto the head-fi duties.  Good idea though, now's a good time to A/B between the two.

I'd guess they would be pretty close but trying the 851 vs 8801 will be interesting

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, blybo said:

Not dissin what you have. Probably the best AV device you will get for music, and Kaynin will see an improvement from what he has. No doubt.
I'd love a 8802 for my HT room but can't afford it. It's not going to compete with similarly priced or even cheaper 2ch gear with HT bypass though, for 2ch performance, that's all.

But I need bass management, and these units do it well. Is there a 2 channel pre that has bass management for a sub and an EQ built in?

Edited by Sime

But I need bass management, and these units do it well. Is there a 2 channel pre that has bass management for a sub and an EQ built in?

Parasound. I'm sure there are others

Problem with bass management though is you also are stuck with the dac as well. In my living room I don't need a sub now, and I suspect Kaynin doesn't for 2ch playback with Epitomes, if he does, he can't use Pure Direct mode to exclude processing from the 8801... as far as I'm aware.

I've mentioned before that my mains can't run full range in that space, so they need to be EQ'd. 

But it isn't getting into the age old argument of "you can do better" but that happens at all levels, you will always do better.

im happy with what works. 

7 hours ago, Sime said:

I've mentioned before that my mains can't run full range in that space, so they need to be EQ'd. 

You just crossover at 80hz or something which is what the Parasound does. By EQ'd I thought you meant all that Audyssey hocus pocus stuff.

The 8801 has a EQ that's separate from Audyssey. And they are 80hz cut off. Besides all that, I like the 8801, so I'm not the one saying it's bad ;)

The 8801 has a EQ that's separate from Audyssey. And they are 80hz cut off. Besides all that, I like the 8801, so I'm not the one saying it's bad [emoji6]

No one has said its bad, was the best processor of its time. Simple fact is dollar for dollar 2ch gear will out perform AV gear for 2ch performance. It's not rocket science.

AV processors are awesome "jack of all trades" devices but must compromise in areas to fit so much in.

3 hours ago, Sime said:

The 8801 has a EQ that's separate from Audyssey. And they are 80hz cut off. Besides all that, I like the 8801, so I'm not the one saying it's bad ;)

Just hoping you start thinking it's bad and put it up for sale and then I will buy it :D:D