Home Theatre amplification.

Guest Peter the Greek

I love spending other peoples money....its been years since I've looked at these. Interesting what is out nowadays 

This would have been perfect - bargain IMO 

These could be worth checking out

http://usaudiovisual.com.au/hometheatre/nad-t977-7-channel-power-amplifier

https://www.digitalcinema.com.au/onkyo-pa-mc5501-9-channel-power-amplifier.html

https://www.digitalcinema.com.au/nad-c-275bee-2-channel-power-amplifier.html

Or 11 channels:

http://au.yamaha.com/en/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/aventage_separate_components/mx-a5000_black_a/?mode=model

2 hours ago, Quark said:

Not sure you saw the link in my post, but Klapp AV have it for $3K. As Al mentioned, about to be superseded by the AV7703, but that gets little extra.

Ahhh, missed it!  You had a tricky link...thanks mate, that's excellent.

• Like 1

I don't know how long your cable run would be towards your outdoor area, but balanced connections on a pre pro second zone could come in handy. You might also look into a remote phone app for the unit and streaming services for easy control when enjoining the outdoor.

You could use an integrated amp for the outdoor speakers which are always handy units to have around. Buying an AVR with HD codecs and add a power amp to it, gives you a bit more choice and flexibility in price range.I would split the 7 channels into a 5 channel and 2 channel for a change of mind in the future.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter the Greek said:

I love spending other peoples money....its been years since I've looked at these. Interesting what is out nowadays 

This would have been perfect - bargain IMO 

These could be worth checking out

http://usaudiovisual.com.au/hometheatre/nad-t977-7-channel-power-amplifier

https://www.digitalcinema.com.au/onkyo-pa-mc5501-9-channel-power-amplifier.html

https://www.digitalcinema.com.au/nad-c-275bee-2-channel-power-amplifier.html

Or 11 channels:

http://au.yamaha.com/en/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/aventage_separate_components/mx-a5000_black_a/?mode=model

That NAD M25 was excellent value for money.  I've been very happy with the NAD too...your link to the NAD T977 includes a suggested pairing to the NAD T187 pre-amp, would be a nice set-up.

I've had a look at a couple of Yammie multi-channel amps, still mulling them over, thanks for the link.  Elektra is likely the front runner, but still just so much to go through and check out!

17 minutes ago, Primare Knob said:

I don't know how long your cable run would be towards your outdoor area, but balanced connections on a pre pro second zone could come in handy. You might also look into a remote phone app for the unit and streaming services for easy control when enjoining the outdoor.

You could use an integrated amp for the outdoor speakers which are always handy units to have around. Buying an AVR with HD codecs and add a power amp to it, gives you a bit more choice and flexibility in price range.I would split the 7 channels into a 5 channel and 2 channel for a change of mind in the future.

The cable run is about 15 meters from the amp area to the outdoor speakers, this includes the run up the walls.  I've run speaker cables because I wasn't after a full zone, and it hasn't been an issue so far.  I've just used the B switch, so I can isolate the outdoor speakers or run them in conjunction with the A speakers in the lounge.  Despite having a TV in the outdoor alfresco area, I never use it!  I thought I'd be watching the footy or cricket on a Friday or Saturday night, but I find when we're out there it's only ever music.  You're spot on with the phone app remote controls, it's exactly how I've used it in the past, so a definite must have for the receiver/processor side of things.

I was thinking about an integrated as well, but there are times when I want the A speakers (lounge L + R) running at the same time with the same tunes as the B speakers (outside), and the risk is that a delay could be introduced with another power unit.  That's the sort of thing that drives me bananas!

22 minutes ago, Kaynin said:

That NAD M25 was excellent value for money.  I've been very happy with the NAD too...your link to the NAD T977 includes a suggested pairing to the NAD T187 pre-amp, would be a nice set-up.

I've had a look at a couple of Yammie multi-channel amps, still mulling them over, thanks for the link.  Elektra is likely the front runner, but still just so much to go through and check out!

yammy and onk like most Japanese multi channels are shite....sorry not any other way to put it they really are not much more than an avr amp stage in a separate box. 

the elektra as a local item is pretty hard to beat. I've found it comparable to overseas amps worth twice as much. Which makes sense since the overseas amps cost about the same as the elektra in their home country.

for my atmos needs exploring all options, even leaving 2ch on an elektra doing nothing, it was still better option than anything else I could find :)

all that hat said kaynin, if this isn't your main setup ? Am wondering on the need for a pre pwr rig ?

is a nice arcam avr or the like with decent pre and pwr stage a better option ...especially one that can handle more than one zone ? $5k will pick up a very lovely monster avr :) 

all L that said only you know your needs and what's required so understand if pre-pwr has reasons as path of choice :)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, :) al said:

yammy and onk like most Japanese multi channels are shite....sorry not any other way to put it they really are not much more than an avr amp stage in a separate box. 

the elektra as a local item is pretty hard to beat. I've found it comparable to overseas amps worth twice as much. Which makes sense since the overseas amps cost about the same as the elektra in their home country.

for my atmos needs exploring all options, even leaving 2ch on an elektra doing nothing, it was still better option than anything else I could find :)

all that hat said kaynin, if this isn't your main setup ? Am wondering on the need for a pre pwr rig ?

is a nice arcam avr or the like with decent pre and pwr stage a better option ...especially one that can handle more than one zone ? $5k will pick up a very lovely monster avr :) 

all L that said only you know your needs and what's required so understand if pre-pwr has reasons as path of choice :)

Yeah, Elektra certainly the front runner.

Spot on in that it's definitely not the main set-up.  In fact as I previously posted it's over engineered as it stands, but hey, a man has standards!!!  In speaking to a couple of hi-fi stores, my own personal experience, and kicking around on line for a little while, I get the feeling that a pre power rig will get better results for music.  I find that I listen to music about 80% with this lounge system - it still has to perform in a 5.1 system because we do watch movies and TV shows there, but most of the time it's music.  As we know it's all about compromise - I'm looking to get the best music/HT balance that I can, and am thinking a pre power rig will do better than an upper end AVR (similar to the T787)...outside of that it's all guesswork on my part!

If you have any ideas on an AVR that would match (or better) a pairing of Elektra/ and say a Marantz AV7701 (EDIT: for the purpose of music/HT balance), then let me know, would be happy to consider it!

Edited by Kaynin

I'd take a 10 year old Elektra Theatre over a new Onkyo/Yamaha/Marantz amp. They look pretty but don't compare to the Elektra for sound and build quality. If the budget permits, go with a new Elektra HD2 and keep it in your setup most likely trouble free for years to come. As an alternative maybe a Rotel 5 Channel amp in conjunction with the amps in an AV receiver.

JDH

Edited by jdh500
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, Kaynin said:

11 minutes ago, :) al said:

Can only agree with Al's comments on the Japanese multichannel amps.

The Yamaha 11 channel mentioned further up the thread has a max power consumption of a puny 650W - divide that by 11 and then factor in class A/B amp efficiency of 70% leaves you with a throbbing 41W per channel!

• Like 2

Just now, Quark said:

Can only agree with Al's comments on the Japanese multichannel amps.

The Yamaha 11 channel mentioned further up the thread has a max power consumption of a puny 650W - divide that by 11 and then factor in class A/B amp efficiency of 70% leaves you with a throbbing 41W per channel!

Yeah, good pick-up Quarky, good point.

4 minutes ago, jdh500 said:

I'd take a 10 year old Electra Theatre over a new Onkyo/Yamaha/Marantz amp. They look pretty but don't compare to the Elektra for sound and build quality. If the budget permits, go with a new Elektra HD2 and keep it in your setup most likely trouble free for years to come.

JDH

So true.  People certainly seem to hang on to them.  Elektra is definitely the front runner...

I started off with Rotel power amps, then upgraded to a 7ch Elektra Theatron and Elektra 2ch Reference, ended up selling them after about 10 years of ownership for a decent price only to replace them with new Elektra Theatre HD2 and Reference HD.

If Elektra had not upgraded their offerings I would of kept my original Elektra amps in my HT setup. I have a dedicated 2ch Bel Canto system in my living room and the Bel Canto amps are good too but class D type amps, wanted a more compact system for 2ch system that pushed me more towards Bel Canto for that solution.

JDH

Edited by jdh500
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Kaynin said:

Yeah, Elektra certainly the front runner.

Spot on in that it's definitely not the main set-up.  In fact as I previously posted it's over engineered as it stands, but hey, a man has standards!!!  In speaking to a couple of hi-fi stores, my own personal experience, and kicking around on line for a little while, I get the feeling that a pre power rig will get better results for music.  I find that I listen to music about 80% with this lounge system - it still has to perform in a 5.1 system because we do watch movies and TV shows there, but most of the time it's music.  As we know it's all about compromise - I'm looking to get the best music/HT balance that I can, and am thinking a pre power rig will do better than an upper end AVR (similar to the T787)...outside of that it's all guesswork on my part!

If you have any ideas on an AVR that would match (or better) a pairing of Elektra/ and say a Marantz AV7701 (EDIT: for the purpose of music/HT balance), then let me know, would be happy to consider it!

Must acknowledge the quality of the nad avr you have. Good honest power, conservatively rated and a good mix for 2ch AV.

if looking to spend circa $5k I would be looking at something like the new arcam 550

http://www.tivolihifi.com/product/av-amplifiers/arcam-fmj?avr550-av-receiver

bang upto date with hdmi latest spec and 3D audio if ever need it or for resale.

good honest power stage and while haven't heard this particular, all arcam avrs I've come across tend to be one of the few brands as avrs that do 2ch and music pretty well :)

Just well worth looking at I think as another option, if considering definitely be sure to demo though to make sure kind of thing looking for.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, :) al said:

Must acknowledge the quality of the nad avr you have. Good honest power, conservatively rated and a good mix for 2ch AV.

if looking to spend circa $5k I would be looking at something like the new arcam 550

http://www.tivolihifi.com/product/av-amplifiers/arcam-fmj?avr550-av-receiver

bang upto date with hdmi latest spec and 3D audio if ever need it or for resale.

good honest power stage and while haven't heard this particular, all arcam avrs I've come across tend to be one of the few brands as avrs that do 2ch and music pretty well :)

Just well worth looking at I think as another option, if considering definitely be sure to demo though to make sure kind of thing looking for.

Yep, as mentioned I've been very happy with the T787, plenty of control and headroom, and serves its purpose very well.

Happy to add the Arcam to the list to consider, it's all research at this stage so always good to look at all options.  :thumb:

I have a Denon X3200 with Elektra 3 channel amp powering L/C/R in HT mode, it's the best that I have heard and I have had all types of HT set up for about 20 years. For 2 channel I have a Klein DAC and I just switch to direct mode on AVR and sounds better than the Cambridge 651R that I had.

• Like 1

When going for a Atmos I would go for an AVR (future add on Height speakers) + power amp (All other speakers).

If not, find something for your needs for the cheapest price. I personally would not buy AV equipment new. The depreciation on this stuff is dramatic and the more you pay the more you lose, no matter the specs.

If music matter the most, you might wanna take a look into a second hand Primare SP32/33, Anthem AVM, Lexicon MC, Krell, etc. They wont have the specs or features but will perform well with 2ch music. There was a Cary Cinema 12 for sale a while back. A bit buggy, but sound wise (no personal experoence) a good starting point.

Edited by Primare Knob
typo
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, jdh500 said:

I started off with Rotel power amps, then upgraded to a 7ch Elektra Theatron and Elektra 2ch Reference, ended up selling them after about 10 years of ownership for a decent price only to replace them with new Elektra Theatre HD2 and Reference HD.

If Elektra had not upgraded their offerings I would of kept my original Elektra amps in my HT setup. I have a dedicated 2ch Bel Canto system in my living room and the Bel Canto amps are good too but class D type amps, wanted a more compact system for 2ch system that pushed me more towards Bel Canto for that solution.

JDH

Like you, if Elektra hadn't released a new model range i would still have all my original amps. I have also moved onto the HD line.

For the price nothing came close, on the used market a massive bargain.

Also knowing that Arthur stands by his products is a big positive if something happens to go wrong.

Not having to deal with third party repairers of unkown quality is a massive bonus that can not be under estimated.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, joz said:

Like you, if Elektra hadn't released a new model range i would still have all my original amps. I have also moved onto the HD line.

For the price nothing came close, on the used market a massive bargain.

Also knowing that Arthur stands by his products is a big positive if something happens to go wrong.

Not having to deal with third party repairers of unkown quality is a massive bonus that can not be under estimated.

What's the difference between the original units and the HD models?

3 minutes ago, Kaynin said:

What's the difference between the original units and the HD models?

A small increase in power, in real world use probably not really noticeable.

But the HD also has the addition of balanced inputs are its main feature.

Sound wise they are quite similar even though I'm sure there have been other internal improvements like more protection.

• Like 1

I've decided that if I go a multi channel amp then it will be an Elektra.

Looking at a 7 channel with Marantz 7701, but not sure if 2 channel will be up to scratch???

Another option is a 5 channel Elektra with an AVR processing and a nice integrated running L & R fronts.

Finally maybe a very nice integrated front fronts and an AVR only for the rest....

if going an 2ch integrated definitely look at one with a ht bypass will make integration wiht the av side a press of a button or even via universal remote on some models. ps have utilised all three of the above options over the years :)

if wanting good 2ch from the av processor I cant comment on the 7701 but can say the 8801 is pretty decent in that regard and will be a good one box 2ch/av for a lot of people :) 

• Like 1