Home Theatre amplification.

Howdy folks,

I've been running a NAD T787 AVR for just over 4 years with my Osborn 5.1 system, and am now looking at moving to separates in one form or another.  I need to power 5 channels in the lounge, then 2 channels outside on the deck area as well.  I'd like to move away from solely using an AVR like the T787, so am considering something like a processor feeding into a 7 channel amp, or a lesser AVR feeding a 5 channel amp with the AVR driving the outdoor speakers...maybe an integrated for the fronts with a 3 channel amp to cover the inside speakers, and an AVR to run the deck speakers whilst performing processing duties???

Hmmm, not sure.  Budget is $5,000 tops, so makes it a bit tight if considering an integrated in any form I guess.

Any ideas?

6 minutes ago, :) al said:

Electra theatre HD 7ch easy.... well under budget. Will power 5ch indoor and the 2ch outdoors :)

Yeah, looking at the Elektra.  I also need AV/processing duties too within that budget  :unsure:  What would you suggest?

Edited by Kaynin

Oh... I thought it was just amplification...

if pre amp required as well, will come down to what intend with the system. Plan to stick with 5.1 ? No intent of atmos? In which case would go with a marantz av7701 or marantz av8801. And if pick up a 2nd hand bargain there likely squeeze an Electra still in budget :)

• Like 1

Sticking with 5.1 in the lounge, no Atmos for there, that will be in the rumpus...would have to find a second hand Elektra or Marantz to come inside budget...hmmm.

I definitely want Master Audio & True HD capabilities though...

Edited by Kaynin

Should be able to score these 2 below for fairly close to budget with a bit of good negotiating.

Will cover almost all your needs for now.......... except ATMOS.

For ALL ATMOS requirements to be addressed by good gear right now would probably mean a budget increase of around 40-50%...........

As well as the (highly recommended) Elektra.............this would get you a nice ATMOS capable Marantz Pre/Pro like the AV7702 instead of the Yammy............ and leave you some change for the required extra ATMOS amp channels and height speakers.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ELEKTRA-THEATRE-HD-7-CHANNEL-POWER-AMPLIFIER-HIFI-THEATRE-HIGH-END-AS-NEW-7X225W-/172368891750?hash=item2821fc8f66:g:qqkAAOSwCGVX-fG3

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/104244-fs-yamaha-cx-a5000-av-processor-2200/

Edited by JohnL
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Quark said:

I'd suggest an AV7702 Mk11 for $3K (it is the Mk11) and a used Elektra (the original 7 channel versions usually go for under $1500).

This is exactly what I use.

Although if atmos is not needed a used 8801 may be a better option?

OP should put up a wtb post and see what pops up

Edited by AudioGeek
  • Like 1

For HT I run a Yammy/ Elektra combo.
 Although I don't have Atmos as my Receiver is a bit older now it is probably the type of thing that may suit.

As mentioned a slightly older Elektra Theatre7 and something like a Yammy RXV38/3900 would come in at about $2k on the used market and give you everything that you want.

Obviously expect to pay more for say a newer HD amp and Reciever.

• Like 1

Joz, I had a poor experience with the Yamaha AVR's as a pre. The preouts on these AVR's seem poorly designed, more an afterthought - with low output and very high impedance, something like 1.3kohms. Was a big difference when I switched to the Marantz using the same Elektra power amp.

I supsect the Yamaha separates are much better.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JohnL said:

Should be able to score these 2 below for fairly close to budget with a bit of good negotiating.

Will cover almost all your needs for now.......... except ATMOS.

For ALL ATMOS requirements to be addressed by good gear right now would probably mean a budget increase of around 40-50%...........

As well as the (highly recommended) Elektra.............this would get you a nice ATMOS capable Marantz Pre/Pro like the AV7702 instead of the Yammy............ and leave you some change for the required extra ATMOS amp channels and height speakers.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ELEKTRA-THEATRE-HD-7-CHANNEL-POWER-AMPLIFIER-HIFI-THEATRE-HIGH-END-AS-NEW-7X225W-/172368891750?hash=item2821fc8f66:g:qqkAAOSwCGVX-fG3

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/104244-fs-yamaha-cx-a5000-av-processor-2200/

Ahhh, great find with the Elektra John, he has it priced too high saying the RRP is $4500 which is $500 over, so likely room for negotiation as you mentioned.  The Yammie is certainly an option too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Quark said:

I'd suggest an AV7702 Mk11 for $3K (it is the Mk11) and a used Elektra (the original 7 channel versions usually go for under $1500).

Thanks Quarky, certainly a nice combo.  The AV7702 MkII seems to be RRP of $3790, so would definitely need the Elektra to be around $1,500.

1 hour ago, AudioGeek said:

This is exactly what I use.

Although if atmos is not needed a used 8801 may be a better option?

OP should put up a wtb post and see what pops up

Am certainly considering a WTB thread, although there's a few good options to look at from everyone's replies so far, will keep me busy today!  I'm liking a Marantz/Denon & Elektra combo...safe to safe the Elektra is a certain starter...

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, joz said:

For HT I run a Yammy/ Elektra combo.
 Although I don't have Atmos as my Receiver is a bit older now it is probably the type of thing that may suit.

As mentioned a slightly older Elektra Theatre7 and something like a Yammy RXV38/3900 would come in at about $2k on the used market and give you everything that you want.

Obviously expect to pay more for say a newer HD amp and Reciever.

Thanks Joz, I'll google the Yammies and have a look into them.

• Like 1

I found this on Gumtree last night.  I can easily confirm if it's an Australian model and not grey market - it's brand new with warranty, so maybe adding a second hand Elektra could do the job.  Is the model too old though? -

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/prospect/other-audio/marantz-av-7701-hi-def-av-preamplifier-best-price-in-oz-/1058553230

Guest Peter the Greek

What do NAD power amps (either the C272 or Master Series?) go for in the used market? For me, I tend to prefer these over the Elektra.....but cost might be an issue

If you dont mind having fans (i.e. you can put the amps somewhere where noise is not an issue) I've yet to find better bang for buck than my QSC DCA amps.....but they have fans....

In my experience, buying outdated processors is not a good idea at some point it'll come back to bite you and you'll be stuck in an earlier than necessary upgrade cycle.....sorry probably not being very helpful here

12 minutes ago, Peter the Greek said:

What do NAD power amps (either the C272 or Master Series?) go for in the used market? For me, I tend to prefer these over the Elektra.....but cost might be an issue

If you dont mind having fans (i.e. you can put the amps somewhere where noise is not an issue) I've yet to find better bang for buck than my QSC DCA amps.....but they have fans....

In my experience, buying outdated processors is not a good idea at some point it'll come back to bite you and you'll be stuck in an earlier than necessary upgrade cycle.....sorry probably not being very helpful here

Thanks for your input Peter, I appreciate it.  I'm moving from the NAD AVR and have absolutely no complaints, so can never rule them out.  I must admit, I've wanted to own an Elektra multi-channel for some time, and like supporting local products where I can - a large reason why I bought Osborn speakers, for example. 

I take your point on buying outdated processors, and would say that this would be a factor in the rumpus room which is dedicated HT, however in the lounge I really don't have any intention in progressing that set-up at all.  For example, ATMOS will not see the light of day there.  I know to never say never...but it will never happen!  lol.  The reason I say this is because the purpose of the room, in correlation to the rest of the living space, doesn't suit a full-blown set-up that will need to progress with technology.  Running what I have/intend to move to is already over-engineering the space!

Kaynin just something to keep in mind the 7702mk2 also just been superseded by the mk3 so good chance find some mk2 on run out. The mk3 doesn't in my opinion bring anything drastically new to the table, but mk2 will get you latest hdmi spec and atmos....if ever a need and perhaps will gain better resale too down the track perhaps if ever move on ?

however if happy without the upper specs, can see no probs with the mk1 and pocket the savings :)

• Like 1

Guest jakeyb77

I'd throw up a suggestion for NAD Masters also.  Haven't experience with the Elektra but I'm sure it's good based on user opinion here.

4 hours ago, Kaynin said:

Thanks Quarky, certainly a nice combo.  The AV7702 MkII seems to be RRP of $3790, so would definitely need the Elektra to be around $1,500.

Not sure you saw the link in my post, but Klapp AV have it for $3K. As Al mentioned, about to be superseded by the AV7703, but that gets little extra.