Sign in to follow this  
proftournesol

A League 2016-2017

2 derbies with a combined attendance of over 100,000 and a derby humiliation by Melbourne City, it's a good start to the season:party

Could someone with more refereeing experience than me please try to explain how those two WSW's tackles weren't red cards? The first was a blatant charge and the second one was nothing other than a vicious hack from behind. Neither demonstrated any attempt at all to play the ball. If this is allowed to continue there won't be too many players left standing by the season's half way mark. To Amor's credit he didn't say a word after the game (not that I could hear anyway). 

Santalab was lucky to stay on the park, it looked a clear red card to me

Well,  City sure did look the goods. They were the only team that turned up last night. I thought Kamau and Bratten were outstanding. Victory were chasing bums all night and bereft of ideas. Easily hassled off the ball. Early days but it's going to be a long season for us :(

Yes, we played very well despite JVS. Kamau looks a future Socceroo. He's hoping to move to Europe next season, City provides a reliable route through its CFG ownership

Hey, did you guys see Brisbane's pitch puddle from our aborted pre season game with the Mariners in that other A league thread?  Entertaining hey, and at so many levels.   Depression, low point, deluge all come to mind. 

IMG_20160910_152102722_HDR.jpg

We are hoping for another big puddle for the upcoming game against Mariners this weekend.  That way we can bring on our "super sub" city cat and park the boat rather than the bus against Mariners. 

Clearly Brisbane needs a defensive plan B after Newcastle. Wild weather delays or an improbable sub may be our best bet.

image.jpeg

Edited by Briz Vegas

I am thinking of just going to Roar womens games from now on.  I think they need the support after the Roar gave them a big pay cut reported to be 40%.  They are said to be only 5% of Roars wage budget.  Ok, the game does not have the TV deal but thats a pretty big difference.

Its a bizarre decision especially after City showed what the womens game could be like

Swallows and summer of course, but I'm really excited at the prospect of this season for the Glory. We have a much deeper squad than last year and aren't relying only on Castro's brilliance. Andy Keogh is something of an enigma in that he creates so many chances for himself that he gets a lot of flak for missing so many, but still ends up scoring a bag-full too, gotta love him.

City were our first big test and we got the result, first time in seven years at their place apparently so maybe a pointer to something good. Having barely missed a home game since '96 I'm desperate to see similar success in the A-League as we managed in the NSL. Here's hoping.

City weren't much of a test, they were poor, no intensity, no pressing, and of course JVS' tactical naivety and intransigence. We'll never win anything until he's gone and has been replaced with a decent coach

Bambi vs Godzilla (JV$)

I've seen the movie but I think it's 50 50 odds in real life and Bambi is gonna Roar thanks to home Den advantage.

Go the Roar

p.s. apology in advance for the Katie Perry team song.  Just like Eurovision you are not supposed to take it seriously.

Bambi is king of the glade.  Well for one night anyway.

It felt more like Brisbane v Brisbane with Brattan, Fitzgerald and Franjic out there.  Once again i was reminded that the A League is not the Premier league but the punters enjoyed the night.  After all that worrying about our kack of a decent defence we seem to have found one, provided no one gets injured.  City seemed to have a hard time finding the goal.  Great to have a ckean sheet, thats fior sure.

Terrible 'coaching' effort from JVS, he should hang his head in shame being so easily out-coached by Ross Aloisi. It was obvious to everyone apart from him that Roar were going to take a leaf from Kenny's book and sit compact and counter-attack. The best strategy would be to sit compact and invite Roar onto us. The worst strategy would be to play a back 3, to start Retre instead of Caceras, so what did Mr 33% choose? We'll win nothing until he's gone, there's no Plan B and every team has figured out Plan A after 3 rounds

Sooo.....Sydney ended Brisbane's record unbeaten run a few years back apparently.  Time for some payback me thinks and the venue favours us.

Not sure about the State of origin colours for the game. They aren't state players after all.  Hmm, that might be an interesting comp.

Sydney have had their share of luck, they should have drawn or even lost against Wellington and Victory. Nevertheless they can attack and defend well, it'll be a tough ask for Roar

Sometimes we do better against tougher opponents......so long as we turn up with our A game and a bit of grit.

I knew that the goal was coming, I knew that it would come after 90 minutes. Sure enough...

City scores, then instead of going in for the kill just sits back and tries to defend a 1-0 lead with one of the worst organised defences in the League.

City has the most expensive squad ever assembled in the League but will never win anything with JVS. He was even out coached by Bambi FFS!

No hope in the FFA Cup final, I'm expecting a 1-3 or 1-4 loss, especially as the final has sold well and the top level of AAMI Park will be open for only the second time in City's history (another characteristic, when the expectations are high the team freezes).

Congratulations.  Can you back it up on the weekend.  Godzilla vs Bambi round 2 with Petratos in for Holman.

Usual JVS pattern is for the team to not turn up for the match following an important game

JVS and Bambi playing sticks and stones as 40 paces. All part of the sporting banter I guess.

There is a god in heaven, JVS has gone. Don't bother to shut the door on the way out.

I so expected this post.

Question is will you be happy with the replacement. 3rd time happy or out of the saucepan into the fire.

Do I recall some chat about Adelaide's coach going east. That could be an interesting combo.

Michael Valkanis will take the senior coaching role for now, he's actually been in the same position before when he stepped into the Adelaide coaching role after Kossie quit and they finished 4th that season. CFG will take their time finding a permanent replacement but its likely to be an internal appointment, maybe Mikel Arteta. Either way hopefully the poor man management and the pickup sicks formation that leads to minimal defending are over. 

I woke up this morning and it wasn't Groundhog Day yet again