Sign in to follow this  
James Moore

Speaker cable recommendations

Hi SNA

Sorry for the noob question but can someone recommend what speaker cable connectors I should use for a pair of klipsch 160s? Cheers! 

Two core copper lighting cable from Bunnings at about $1.00 a metre.Soilid core not stranded.

Better sounding than most of the commercial dedicated speaker cable.Should suit the Klipsch well as it sounds smooth.

Edited by THOMO

21 minutes ago, THOMO said:

Two core copper lighting cable from Bunnings at about $1.00 a metre.Soilid core not stranded.

Better sounding than most of the commercial dedicated speaker cable.Should suit the Klipsch well as it sounds smooth.

Even the $1/ m 'White Lightning Moonshine' stranded extension power cables work fine.

1 hour ago, THOMO said:

Is it better or different sounding?  

Haha just kidding I agree 100%.  :)  This is an excellent speaker cable internally and externally, and definitely 1mm solid core IME. 

Edited by Peter_F

16 hours ago, Peter_F said:

Is it better or different sounding?  

Haha just kidding I agree 100%.  :)  This is an excellent speaker cable internally and externally, and definitely 1mm solid core IME. 

I prefer it to some Antipodes Reference cables I tried recently [about $3500 worth].

If the budget permits, everyone raves about this brand

best to go to the max of your budget rather than spend and spend on cheap cables chasing perfection

lots of great speaker cables come up in the FS thread so keep an eye out and grab a bargain 

Neo

On 10/14/2016 at 8:28 PM, James Moore said:

Hi SNA

Sorry for the noob question but can someone recommend what speaker cable connectors I should use for a pair of klipsch 160s? Cheers! 

The significance of speaker cable quality is completely dependent on two things:

* The length of the cable run

* The impedance of the speakers (particularly at HF)

In general terms Klipsch speakers present a pretty 'easy' load. Provided you keep your cable runs below (say) 5 Metres, then you can use pretty much any cable you want. As has been suggested, some nice, cheap mains cable will work just fine. 

The dirty little secret with hi fi systems is this:

ROOM treatments pay big dividends. Cable changes offer incredibly tiny changes, for (often) huge chunks of money. Spend your money on room treatments, rather than fancy cables. 

If you want one of the best fancy cables, then buy some RG213/U TRANSMISSION coax cable (available from many sources for about $4.00/Metre). It's a bugger to terminate and is stiffer than cold garden hose, but it sounds as good or better than cables with fancy brand name stamped on the side. Honestly, unless you are running very long cables (>10 Metres), I reckon you don't need it. 

Here, again, is my list of the most important things in a system (in order of importance):

1) The room

2) The room

3) The room

4) Speakers

5) Everything else

On 14/10/2016 at 8:34 PM, THOMO said:

I have been using this for about 20 years. I briefly used some multistrand cable but returned to the solid core lighting cable. I've demonstrated it to freinds and now they all use this cable in their systems.

The best advice I can give is take ZB's advice.  In other words.....

Length is the real decider. For out-door events with speaker runs of 20m or more, then cable becomes increasingly important.Typically people at home have lengths approx 2 to 3m where it has been demonstrated (to great embarrassment of so-called experts) that coathangers were undetectable(?) undeterminable against very expensive brands in a legendary demo. Must have been a laugh to watch the experts walk off in a huff when they found out they had been fooled.

and of course there is "inadequate" where the copper is so thin that no decent amperage can flow. You need better than that.

And +2 for room - not so much treatments, but if you are lucky enough to have a room where the locations (speakers and chair) can move, then there is a LOT that can be done by optimally locating the equilateral triangle. Much more than cables.

Whadda ?!?!?:wacko: so all of the above posts mean that I spent thousands of $$$ on the cables for nothing?:unsure:

Why didn't someone tell me this before:emot-bang:

Guest Muon

The 1mm solid core stuff from the hardware is OK, but far from an end game. Played with it ages ago, 1mm attenuates the top end to my ears and the wire sounds gritty compared to the Neotech 7N that replaced them.

Very system dependent cables are, many systems are fine with the wire from bunnings, but some systems can benefit from better materials and construction techniques IMO.

On ?8?/?11?/?2016 at 0:52 PM, ufo said:

Whadda ?!?!?:wacko: so all of the above posts mean that I spent thousands of $$$ on the cables for nothing?:unsure:

Why didn't someone tell me this before:emot-bang:

Snake-oil is available at many audio outlets.

Not expensive either, unless you want a brand which makes your system to really open up.